Tivo, Replay, Or Directv Tivo?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

orificium

Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
I currently have a Dual LNB DirecTV Satellite Dish with two recievers in two different rooms.

I would like to recieve satellite service in three rooms (I would settle for 2), a PVR that would allow me to record local and satellite signal (recording two satellite signals simultaneously would be nice but I would settle for one). I also want the ability to archive my recordings to my computer. If I can archive, hard drive space would not be such a factor, but at least 40 hours of recording time would be nice. I've archived off a friend's ReplayTV, which was shockingly simple. So I'm weary of going with the TIVO, and I'm not even sure it can be done with a DIRECTV TIVO. Auto-skip for commercials would be nice, but 30-60 second skip would be satisfactory. Scheduling recordings via my computer would also be a nice feature. I have no need for HD, as I don't even own a HDTV, but it's not out of the question. Currently I have no plans of leaving DirecTV as I already own my equipment, but I suppose Cable or Digital Cable is not out of the question. I have heard of Multiplexers which may solve my Dual LNB -> 3 reciever issue, but I haven't learned enough about them. It might even solve the issues of recording local channels via the DIRECTV TIVO, but I doubt it. Of course local channel service through DIRECTV is only an additional $3/month. But of course that's money down the drain when I could have just gone with a stand-alone unit.

Now my problem is that I'm unsure as to whether I should go with a stand-alone TiVo, stand-alone Replay, or get a DirecTV TIVO. They all have their pros and cons, and I've done a bit of research, but I figured there has to be someone out who can sway me one way or the other. It's hard to find much info on what's in store for the future of PVRs. I know someone out there has the inside scoop so I desperately need some help. My indecisiveness has gotten the best of me.

ReplayTV 5040 here is a link where we compare functions some what anyhow!

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=25368
Guess this is not the greatest link but we talk about Replay 5040 and Dishnetwork 322 dual tunner receiver and problem work arounds for it.

"322 now working fine with my ReplayTV 5040 (The best DVR available anywhere Dishnetwork has nothing that can even come close to ReplayTV 5040's compatibility and functionality NOTHING EVEN CLOSE ) auto skips commercials automatically with no user interaction and much much more."

If you don't go with the DirecTivo, then both the Replay and Tivo will need to recompress the video/audio when it records it vs. the DirecTivo which records the raw data stream off the DBS signal. That results in a bit better picture since the encoding is done by the more expensive boxes at the D* uplink center vs. the encoder in your box. It would also allow you to record Dolby Digital 5.1 audio which you couldn't with the SA Tivo or Replay. The monthly subscription charge is also less and would cover all DirecTivo's on the accout.

orificium said:
I currently have a Dual LNB DirecTV Satellite Dish with two recievers in two different rooms.

I would like to recieve satellite service in three rooms (I would settle for 2), a PVR that would allow me to record local and satellite signal (recording two satellite signals simultaneously would be nice but I would settle for one). I also want the ability to archive my recordings to my computer. If I can archive, hard drive space would not be such a factor, but at least 40 hours of recording time would be nice. I've archived off a friend's ReplayTV, which was shockingly simple. So I'm weary of going with the TIVO, and I'm not even sure it can be done with a DIRECTV TIVO. Auto-skip for commercials would be nice, but 30-60 second skip would be satisfactory. Scheduling recordings via my computer would also be a nice feature. I have no need for HD, as I don't even own a HDTV, but it's not out of the question. Currently I have no plans of leaving DirecTV as I already own my equipment, but I suppose Cable or Digital Cable is not out of the question. I have heard of Multiplexers which may solve my Dual LNB -> 3 reciever issue, but I haven't learned enough about them. It might even solve the issues of recording local channels via the DIRECTV TIVO, but I doubt it. Of course local channel service through DIRECTV is only an additional $3/month. But of course that's money down the drain when I could have just gone with a stand-alone unit.

Now my problem is that I'm unsure as to whether I should go with a stand-alone TiVo, stand-alone Replay, or get a DirecTV TIVO. They all have their pros and cons, and I've done a bit of research, but I figured there has to be someone out who can sway me one way or the other. It's hard to find much info on what's in store for the future of PVRs. I know someone out there has the inside scoop so I desperately need some help. My indecisiveness has gotten the best of me.

Standalone TiVo: $12.95/month
You can record one thing at a time and it can include your local channels without paying DirecTV for them if you can get them via cable or antenna.

DirecTV DVR w/TiVo: $4.99/month (free with Total Choice Premier)
You can record two things at a time including your local channels only if your local channels are obtained via DirecTV.

So you'd save going with DirecTV's DVR, even if you had to start paying for locals, and you'd get 2 tuners, and "perfect" recording quality. Doesn't this sort of make it a no-brainer? :)

There are ways you could add the ability to extract video from the DirecTV DVR, but they'd all be after-market hacks on your part; there's always the potential DirecTV will start offering HMO (Home Media Option) which is something you can get on the standalone TiVo units, and within the next year there will be a supported way to extract video via HMO. But for now, you'd have to do a little hacking to be able to do that on either the DirecTV DVR or standalone TiVo units.

I have 240GB of hard drive space added to my DirecTV DVR. That gives me about 225 hours of recording space. I have had programs sit there over a year before watching them, so there's no need to extract video if the purpose is just to get around small recording times. Adding a hard drive to get more space can be easily done to either the DIrecTV DVR or standalone TiVo's and there's severalplaces that'll do it all for you, or do much of the work for you, for a small fee.

A multiplexer (like the Terk BMS-58, available at www.buy.com for under $72) is all you need to be able to connect more receivers to your existing dish; you don't really even need that one since it's designed for the 3-LNB satellite dishes, but it'll work fine and function with the new satllite dish too, if you ever have need for it.

belawrence said:
The dealbreaker for me was the ability to stream content from unit to unit without having to pay for HMO.

I know I miss the streaming capability of Replay when I had their units, plus the DVArchive program. I just wish DirecTV and Tivo would make a similar offering available, I don't care if I have to pay for it, I'd like to see it as an option.

dfergie said:
DV archive just came out with version 3 which I am updating Java for as we speak. should be better, and not supposed to crash as much.

I like version 3 much better!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)