Tivo sanction request against Echostar uncovered: $1Billion

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This thread reminds me of the Directv cable company commercial where we go Viral and Blogg it out! Except instead of the cable company were talking about tivo! :D Wow it went south quick!

Tivo is not going anywhere

They are asking so much because Echostar has DELAYED this whole this for so long just to not pay.

Tivo makes alot of money on closed-circuit tivocasts for hospitals, and the federal government.

I also think Tivo makes the BEST DVR. Sorry, my opinion.

I have never used a TIVO so I have no opinion on them. I know folks that have them LOVE them so thats not a bad thing.

I do feel that Dish's legal team could keep this case going for years, and I think that is what Tivo is affraid of.

I just wish they would settle and work together, that would be better for everyone.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I do feel that Dish's legal team could keep this case going for years, and I think that is what Tivo is affraid of.

I just wish they would settle and work together, that would be better for everyone.
And hence the reason for DISH/SATS to delay the sanctions proceedings.

CEO Ergen of DISH and SATS stated in an analyst call that he wanted to wait for the outcome of the contempt hearing to determine a starting point regarding an agreement with TiVo.

If that starting point is near $1 billion without including future ongoing royalty payments, then DISH/SATS doesn't want any part of it until the ruling is re-examined by the Court of Appeals. Imagine what happens if the proposed sanctions award and the contempt judgment are upheld by the Court of Appeals: that becomes the "starting point".

That is why DISH/SATS is fighting the sanctions hearing. If sanctions are delayed until the Court of Appeals renders their decision, then the "starting point" is much lower and DISH/SATS can go in front of Judge Folsom after the Court of Appeals decides what, if anything, was adjudged incorrectly by Judge Folsom. It gives DISH/SATS time and a better bargaining position.

I don't understand how you can say that. This $1B sanction request is a good example of the magnitude of Tivo's unbridled greed. They want too much for an incremental improvement in DVR technology. Sure, Tivo will benefit from an agreement on their terms. But Dish customers will be paying the bill. And after that, everybody else will get slapped with a lawsuit, and then everybody else's customers will have to pay Tivo these exhorbitant rates.

Bottom line: only Tivo benefits from an agreement. The rest of us lose.

Last edited:
TheKrell said:
I don't understand how you can say that. This $1B sanction request is a good example of the magnitude of Tivo's unbridled greed. They want too much for an incremental improvement in DVR technology.
The sanction request has less to do with infringement and more to do with a party that has been found in contempt of a court order. If DISH/SATS did what they were supposed to do according to the court order, there would be an agreement at a cheaper price than the proposed sanctions, as DISH/SATS would not have had to disable about four million DVR's with an agreement in place.

The more DISH/SATS digs a trench and fights, the more likely the trench DISH/SATS digs buries themselves. This could have gone away relatively cheaply when the lawsuit was started five and a half years ago. This could have gone away cheaply after the trial. Instead, to damn the torpedoes and go full steam ahead against a court order may simply sink them.

In the end, this is beginning to appear as the big guy (DISH/SATS) trying to dictate terms to the little guy. This as the big guy is flat on his back.

I would love to see TIVO software on the dish dvrs, hope my 612 is not shut off

I wonder howmuch has news corp pushed and helping this along to try and regain the tivo name. Dtv tivos are on the slate for first of next year pushed back from aug this year.

I for one hope eco pulls this one off.

If not can't wate to sue every auto maker in usa and the car owners for ripping off my great great great great grandfathers Oliver Evans patten of a self propelled automobile . I will request one sexdecilliard USD the worl will bow to my feet....

I wonder howmuch has news corp pushed and helping this along to try and regain the tivo name. Dtv tivos are on the slate for first of next year pushed back from aug this year.

I am almost willing to bet that we wont see the new DirecTV Tivo released by this time next year.

We have seen no mock ups, no screen shots, no specs on it, nothing.

It wouldn't surprise me if the first time we see it is at CES in January. And then it will be behind glass where you can not touch it. This is just like when we were waiting for the HD20 to come out. Remember how long that took?

I don't think News Corporation has anything to do with this. They aren't an investor in TiVo, and practically tried to destroy TiVo by moving DVR production in-house at DirecTV with NewsCorp subsidiary NDS.

I wouldn't be surprised if the TiVo-powered DirecTV HD receivers are pushed back, like Scott says.

I also believe DISH/SATS has a fairly compelling argument why the sanctions hearing should be delayed until resolution of the appeal. However, I was not able to read any of TiVo's sealed documents to see the counter-argument.

You know, I don't know what the squeally fanboys are so excited over. The trend speaks for itself. Current Tivo subs stand to get screwed more than anyone out of all this because its not like Tivo is going to 'give' them anything once a monopoly is created.

What's worse is that all the supporters of tivos extortion qnd greed have not made dollar one for all of their giggly pom-pom waving, and still have a sub-standard DVR in their house, and are thus no better off financially for their efforts or blind support.

In fact, I have a superior DVR in my house, will have an even better one soon, and am five figures richer thanks to hype inflated tivo stock. Lucky me. And all that while I secretly hope that tivo headquarters burns to the ground! Lol...

I moved it out of the pub since it had more posts in it then the post in the Dish Network area.

Anyone like my artwork? ;)

dr.png

Yes. It certainly is appropriate.

The sanction request has less to do with infringement and more to do with a party that has been found in contempt of a court order. If DISH/SATS did what they were supposed to do according to the court order, there would be an agreement at a cheaper price than the proposed sanctions, as DISH/SATS would not have had to disable about four million DVR's with an agreement in place.

The more DISH/SATS digs a trench and fights, the more likely the trench DISH/SATS digs buries themselves. This could have gone away relatively cheaply when the lawsuit was started five and a half years ago. This could have gone away cheaply after the trial. Instead, to damn the torpedoes and go full steam ahead against a court order may simply sink them.

In the end, this is beginning to appear as the big guy (DISH/SATS) trying to dictate terms to the little guy. This as the big guy is flat on his back.

You keep repeating the same over and over while ignoring a very simply fact, the judge’s finding of contempt, and his injunction order, are both stayed by the appeals court. In other words, legally speaking E* is neither in contempt nor do they need to come into compliance with such injunction at this time.

Now can you tell me how a court may enforce an order by assessing damages, when such order cannot even be enforced at this time?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts