TiVo seeks halt to EchoStar’s digital video-recording business

mikew said:
I predict the shutoff to occur one week after NBR comes to the 5XX series.

Good one! Isn't NBR on the 5xx receivers a myth anyways? I don't think they'll ever release it to the 5xx receivers. And yes, I know they announced that the next software update will be for NBR. Yeah, right!

NBR will be released after the software which just started spooling which will give the 50x series the new VOD features. (This will be rolled out SLOWLY over the month) After that the NBR software is scheduled to go out next. :)

I figured the 522 would get VOD before the 50x. Who knows.

Back on topic - I'm NOT looking forward to what will have to happen should the trial in June go badly for E*.

goaliebob99 said:
Is there a way to turn off software updates so that way if they try forcing a software update to turn off the dvr features it wont do it?
Unfortunately, no. Other than disconnecting the incoming feed, which kinda disables all the features. :)

You might get by for a while by just never turning the receiver off, and disabling the nightly shutdown & diagnostics.

"Back on topic - I'm NOT looking forward to what will have to happen should the trial in June go badly for E*."

I really hope E* wins this one. It will be a disaster for E* to have to turn off the DVR feature in their receivers.

I think they should allocate some bandwidth to a new channel...It could be similar to all of the Law and Order spinoffs...

CourtTV-Echostar
CourtTV-Charlie vs. FCC

jrfuda said:
Take a look at this: http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aacarsseldona.htm Now, that's probably not the BEST case in the world to present since the "road engine" never actually worked, but just imagine if all car manufacturers, who have since improved greatly on the design of the "road engine", of which their designs were probably not actually based on anyway, still had to pay loayalties to the inventor of the "road engine."
I thought it was a excellent read! George Seldon and his "Road Engine" are filed in the Investors Hall of Shame under the letter "C" for Cheese Dick.

jrfuda said:
I'm all for patents and protecting inventors' rights.
I agree. In other words--something must have actually been invented, not just thought!

I hate the thought of TV without a DVR, but Tivo will not get my money unless some licensing agreement comes along. It has features and an interface I don't want.

Tivo may be a great product, but their marketing department has always sucked, or the company wouldn't be going down the tubes. They need to overhaul their marketing and pricing strategy so as to get more consumers interested--instead of suing people.

Seems like that way Charlie says one thing in the Charlie chats and then does not deliver he would by the type that would tell his software developers to go out and

reverse engineer (steal) the Tivo.

In other words, I think Dish is Guilty and should pay Tivo Millions.

Didn't DTV switch to another company for their DVRs? Is TIVO going after them?

Does this mean that E* would have to cut off service to Expressvu also?

Im sure they wont be able to just flip the switch and turn the DVR's off... Im sure it will take a little bit of time between the judge issuing the injunction and the software update coming down...

I imagine that if the injunction comes down the first thing I will do is go unhook the reciever, back up my stuff to dvd then hook it back up...

miguelaqui said:

i think so at bottom bell sys info screen it says copyright echostar as scott pointed out the other day

This is all just legal maneuvering, a sort of "Hail Mary" by Tivo's lawyers to try to force E* into some kind of early settlement. I very much doubt anything will come of it, there is too much at stake. IMHO.

NightRyder

miguelaqui said:

D* made a deal with Tivo to extend their contract. D* is still creating their own DVRs, but the deal extension is to allow support for current D* Tivos. The new deal also includes a clause that Tivo cannot sue D*. Smart on D*'s part if you ask me.

riffjim4069 said:
Tivo had some innovative ideas, but the real culprit is their failing to market their wares and not someone else (E*, Sony, others) successfully using similar technology. Sorry, but I agree that Tivo's patents are akin to trying to licensing the processes of breathing and eating. If Tivo eventually triumphs, then each and every consumer will take it in the shorts for years to come.

I agree, that's why E* has vowed to challenge the jury's verdict by seeking a ruling that the Tivo' patent is unenforceable.

Remember Charlie is a Poker player!

I would think if E* is successful in this challenge than it's a done deal; But if E* fails, then the consumer will have to assume the position.

This is negotiating tactics...... If it looks like things will turn against E* any further, then look for E* to buy them up or come up with a licensing deal to make them "go away".

Yep, this is legal posturing.

After Tivo won in court, this announcement was inevitable. No surprises here at all.

Each side will start out with their most aggressive position. Tivo will seek to shut down E*'s DVR services. E* will claim that the ruling was in error and will be overturned on the next round.

I don't see how they can reasonably pursue an injunction that would affect HD DVR's since Tivo does not yet have an HD version on the market. I don't think the judge will act to screw the consumer in principal when there is no commerically available alternative for Dish to use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts