TiVo Sues E*.

The patented fast-forward and rewind and slow-motion. My VCR can do that.

Record one program and watch another. My VCR does that too.

The only thing new is the pause live TV, and guess what, commercial studios have been able to do this long before TIVO. So nothing new there either.

Doesn't seem like much of a suit, unless the codebase was 'borrowed', and I seriously doubt that.

I hope TIVO has to pay E*'s court cost when they lose.

More likely that the engineers couldn't figure out a way to keep it from locking up when the consumer hit the button 5 times thinking it was another E* "bug".

It will come down to Echostar doing one of two things (probably both):

1. Argue that the patent is invalid because of prior art (i.e. a VCR can record one program while you watch another, TV industry has been using hard drives to store MPEG compressed video (and before MPEG other compression means).

2. The mechanism by which Echostar accomplishes similar results to Tivo is in fact in no way covered by the patent(s).

It could take years in court. Now a settlement/licensing agreement could be worked out, but Echostar in the past has toughed out the long law suits.

Re: Another frivolous lawsuit.

martincva said:
As with the AMD - Intel lawsuits of the 80's and 90's, if E* can show that they developed the features completely on their own, without stealing any TiVo company secrets (they didn't de-compile and/or use any source code), there would be no basis in the lawsuit. You cannot patent a feature, only a method of implementing the feature. Whatever Charlie is, I don't think he is a thief. I find it hard to believe that he is cognizant of any corporate theft going on.

I disagree, . . . a utility patent protects a process or machine that results in a unique feature(s) or function that differentiates it from past product. The way the feature is implemented does not matter. It makes no difference how the method is implemented, or whether or not a 2nd party developes it completely on their own or had obtained trade secrets on the original inventor's claims. All that matters for a patent infringement suit is if the two products do the same thing. At least, this is the common definition of what a utility patent protects. There have been other cases that have involved source code and copywrited material that may differ from a patent case.

Now with that said, it is only the 'claims' within a patent that are protected (these are number items of the patent). This is important to note, because a lot of information and description may be contained in the patent, but it is only these claims that are protected. These 'claims' usually are very difficult to read, and much more difficult to understand. This makes patent suits extremely difficult to try in front of a judge and/or jury. The claims are usually intentionally written as such to allow for broad interpretation of the claim. It is the government PTO's job to try to prevent broad claims, and to determine if any other claims in any other patent do the same thing. This is a very difficult job, and requires some specialized training.

I am an engineer, have a number of issued patents in my name, and have also been through two patent infringement suits to date. I can tell you patent suits gets real messy, and it usually doesn't make any sense to us average people. When one company makes a business decision to sue another, they will go after every possibly claim that they have in their patent portfolio that they fell the other company violated. They go for broke, but only need to prove one violation to 'win'. They may also choose not to litigate against other companies that many feel also infringe against the claims of the patent (usually do to the expense).

Saying so and so company's product does the same thing is not a defense. Usually, the only defense by the target company is to prove that the claimed features are different and they do not do what is claimed, prove that the claim in the patent is invalid due to 'prior art' (someone else did/does the same thing before the patent application was filed), or a procedure error occurred in the patent process to invalidate the claims or the patent(s). Usually, the holder of the patent only sues when they feel a business need exists and all other avenues have been exhausted. Again, they do not go after every possible violator (too expensive).

Anyway, this will get messy for E*, . . . likely cost them a lot of money in the end (TIVO too). In most of these cases, they are eventually settled out of court with the results never published (other than the case is closed). The only true outcome of this is that the lawyers on both sides will get richer (sorry in advance to all the attorney's out there). At least this has been my experience.

Re: Another frivolous lawsuit.

martincva said:
As with the AMD - Intel lawsuits of the 80's and 90's, if E* can show that they developed the features completely on their own, without stealing any TiVo company secrets (they didn't de-compile and/or use any source code), there would be no basis in the lawsuit. You cannot patent a feature, only a method of implementing the feature. Whatever Charlie is, I don't think he is a thief. I find it hard to believe that he is cognizant of any corporate theft going on.

This is completely incorrect. Technology patents are of the feature or algorithm. Completely independently developed approaches are still in violation of patents.

Copyrights work the way you describe.

BTW - The Intel v. AMD suits were settled a variety of ways, most importantly by AMD building up a large enough intellectual property portfolio that Intel was forced to cross-licence AMD's patents in order to implement some features of the pentium class processors. This may end the same way, with TiVo and E* cross-licensing 6,233,389 and 6,490,000

IANAL, YMMV

Charlie should buy Tivo and this would end the lawsuit. Everyone would win. We would finally have namebased recording technology ala Dishtivo. Then Dish could make money on all the stand alone tivos and Directv tivos. This would be cheaper than fighting out in court a lawsuit that will cost all sides in the end.

Why not sue every single product that has timeshifting -- cable dvr's as well--TWC. For God's sake give me a break. It is like they invented the nuclear bomb...Get out of my sight...

I predict that TiVo will sell the company in 2004, most likely to its marketing partner, DirecTV. The satcaster could make TiVo an exclusive feature, unavailable on any other cable or satellite service. With TiVo's brand getting stronger every day, that could be invaluable to DirecTV's new owner, Rupert Murdoch.

Even more the reason why Charlie should buy Tivo if anything just to spite Rupert. Then he could get Tivo and force Directv to use a different platform for their generic dvrs or pay Charlie. It's not like Charlie hasn't swiped something Rupert wanted before like the 110 sat and the failed Directv merger , and the attempt to buy the Directv 7 sat out from under Directv. It would stand to reason that he will continue to try to foil Rupert's dastardly deeds.

Terry Thompson said:
I don't see what the big deal is. TiVo is ten times better than any dishnet pvr system yet.

What do you mean by that in the context of this thread?

Well people seem to be jumping all over TiVo like it's a bad thing. If they feel that their IP has been taken why not let them sue for damages isn't that the american way? I'm from Canada and see this on American TV all the time.
On a side note, It just seems that most everyone here is "pro" echostar for some reason yet TiVo is hands down a better product.
Maybe being sued should encourge Charlie to pull up his socks and make something better.

video62 said:
The Echostar DVR patent is 6,490,000. (click to read it). Here's some interesting language (an aside, not related to the Tivo suit) from the Echostar patent:
Anyone know the date of the TIVO patent? May make a big difference.

Personally I expect a countersuit from Echostar, quoting some features they patented that TIVO is also doing. :rolleyes:

Terry Thompson said:
Well people seem to be jumping all over TiVo like it's a bad thing.
If Tivo is 10 times better than E*'s DVR, why do they CARE that there is a cheap imitator? Put an ad campaign up promoting how much better Tivo is -- if that is the truth --. A lawsuit shows that your product is in jeopardy, not that it is 10 time better.

JL

Another News article has claimed that the suit is claiming infringement for a TIVO patent that protects the process of recording one program while watching another. This would seem to indicate they are worried that a dual tuner in a box is a protected IP. The article also claimed TIVO was seeking a $1-$2 royalty per PVR sold which is about 1 million units for settlement. Claims E* stole the design to achieve this from TIVO.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0...1872544,00.html

Another thing - Where do you all get that the TIVO is 10 times better than the Dish products? Isn't that a gross exaggeration? I think it is more like 7 times better. :D But Dish has achieved greater sales figures.

Tivo's "Multimedia time warping system" patent:
Filed: 30-Jul-1998
Granted: 15-May-2001
Product available (roughly): 31-Mar-1999

Echostar's "Method and apparatus for time shifting and controlling broadcast audio and video signals" patent:
Filed: 26-Mar-1999
Granted: 03-Dec-2002
Product available [Dishplayer 7100] (roughly): May, 1999

Since the Dishplayer was a joint development with Microsoft I'm not sure what patents they may have in the mix.

As far as I know the E*-created series of DVRs (5xx, 721, 921) have no Microsoft ties whatsoever.

Don Landis said:
Another News article has claimed that the suit is claiming infringement for a TIVO patent that protects the process of recording one program while watching another. This would seem to indicate they are worried that a dual tuner in a box is a protected IP.
No, it's simpler than that...

"San Jose, Calif.-based TiVo said EchoStar infringed on a patent that enables television viewers to record one program while playing back another and to watch a program as it is recording..."

A single tuner DVR infringes too because you can record one program while watching another that has already been recorded. Tivo claims ownership of this feature.

For Tivo to claim "being able to watch a program as it is recording" is a bit of a stretch - I wonder if some reporter goofed somewhere on this.

This link to the story should work OK.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)