Tivo vs. 622 DVR

Mr Zero

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
A few questions: Does Tivo work with DISH? If so, would it be better to get it over a 622 DVR? I'm wanting to switch because I want a dual tuner DVR.

Tivo will work with Dish boxes, but it can be somewhat combersome. That being said I'm not sure how or if the Tivo Series 3 will work with a HD Dish box. I assume if you are considering the 622 you want HD right? I wouldn't even consider the Series 3 because of the huge cost, but that is just me.

Tivo will work with Dish boxes, but it can be somewhat combersome. That being said I'm not sure how or if the Tivo Series 3 will work with a HD Dish box. I assume if you are considering the 622 you want HD right? I wouldn't even consider the Series 3 because of the huge cost, but that is just me.

No, I just want a two tuner DVR. Is there a model without HD? Also, do I need two switches devoted to this one receiver?

Okay, I just looked it up and it is a 625 is what I want. So, 625 vs. Tivo?

If you aren't looking for HD then the 622 is not what you want. You want a 625. When you say two switches do you mean two lines? If that is what you mean, as long as you have DPP equipment then you just need 1 line and a DPP separator.

If you aren't looking for HD then the 622 is not what you want. You want a 625. When you say two switches do you mean two lines? If that is what you mean, as long as you have DPP equipment then you just need 1 line and a DPP separator.

By switches I meant that I had to have a different switch installed on the satellite so I could have more receivers. So, I can split the signal with DPP equipment? What is DPP?

DPP is Dish Pro Plus. If you have either a Dish 500 with a DPP Twin (it will say Dish Pro Plus) or if you have a DPP44 (a switch) and Dish Pro LNBFs then you can split 1 line to run two tuners in 1 box. If you do not then what you will need depends on what else you are running. So give us a list of what equipment you are using and we'll help.

You can use a single tuner Tivo box with a dish reciever.
You will not be able to use a dual tuner Tivo box with any sat reciever, unless you have one source from the sat reciever and the other from a cable provider. (see Tivo.com for further info)

I have used my TiVo Series 2 stand-alone unit with both a Dish 301 and a Vip622 on TV1.

The only problems were I had to reset the aspect on the 622 so I did not record HD content in anamorphic mode (16:9 squeezed to 4:3) and I had to tweak the 622 so it was always awake.

Otherwise the IR Blaster worked fine on both with no tweaking when moving from one Dish box to the other. The Tivo could change channels on both Dish boxes and record whatever channel it needed to.

I also put the TiVo on TV2 of my 622 but it cannot control channel changing due to TV2 being controlled remotely by RF. I had to program TV2 with the same data I programmed the Tivo with but used autotune instead of DVR mode.

DPP is Dish Pro Plus. If you have either a Dish 500 with a DPP Twin (it will say Dish Pro Plus) or if you have a DPP44 (a switch) and Dish Pro LNBFs then you can split 1 line to run two tuners in 1 box. If you do not then what you will need depends on what else you are running. So give us a list of what equipment you are using and we'll help.

I have six receivers, 3 311s, 2 DVRs (they're both older models) and, I believe, an 811 HD receiver. I am going to get rid of the 811 because DISH wants me to pay $50 to put a new dish on my roof after THEY moved my HD locals to another satellite.

You do understand that the Tivo will not "decode" Dish signals from the dish, that you'll have to hook the Tivo to a Dish receiver and end up programming two devices for unattended recording?

I'd contact Dish via email and complain, I'll bet they'll put up the dish for free.

If you are just using a Tivo on a regular box you don't have to program the Dish box also, it just changes the channels via the IR blasters.

Yep, forgot about blasters. Easier and cheaper to use Dish box, though. And the menu is faster, plus you get the 30 skip ahead button, etc etc etc.

Your HD locals will be transmitted in MPEG-4 format only (not sure if that's actual MPEG-4 vs. just headered as such?) so the 811 would not be able to receive those channels regardless of which dish was being used. The $50 is probably an upgrade to the ViP211 which is the minimum receiver you'll need, and that should also include any additional hardware installed at the same time...

I had my HD locals until they moved them...I was able to watch them for at least a few weeks. Then, one day, they were gone, moved to other channels and inaccessible to me. The reason I do not wish to pay $50 more for a new satellite dish is that I have two dishes on my roof, one of which currently is not being used (it was a must carry dish and DISH moved those channels to another satellite). A customer service rep told me they could simply repoint that DISH from 61.5 to 118.75 and I'd get my HD locals back. The installer came out and spent a grand total of about 30 seconds surveying the situation before getting someone from DISH to agree with him that the first person was wrong, that I'd have to take off another day from work and that the ONLY way to fix it would be to put up a different dish at a cost to me. The thing is, though, is that I signed up for some 1-year HD package (ends Wed.) in which I was supposed to get my HD locals as part of the deal. I haven't had them for probably 9-10 months. So, screw DISH's HD I just want a two-tuner DVR, hopefully as cheaply as possible.

My brother wanted tivo until i told him it costs 20 bucks a month!
yes, multi years lowers it but he said I pay enough to pay a fee on top of the price of the unit ( and a few cuss words were thrown in )

DVR at 5 bucks is plenty for me!

and if you're paying dish 79 to 100 a month ya would think they would throw in a dISH to fix this problem for you!

bitch about it and ask for a supervisor

my sister got that when they said it will cost you a service call fee because you're past the warranty. Yet the problem was due to the first installer not wiring it properly so it was never right from day 1
So after some heating words they caved, as they should have. The dude installed it and sliced into 18 year old wires from a OLD 15 foot DISH and didn't even waterproof it. much less the cable was not even the correct type but he saved digging a ditch with new wires as he should have
So he used a bullet to connect the two cables and he didn't even waterproof it or even cover it in elec tape
So when it rained the receiver would lose the signal BECAUSE IT WAS SHORTING OUT!!!
And he also didn't connect the phone and said that was not needed.
Oh and the concrete was so well done that it rocked back and forth like a 100 year old fence post set in topsoil about 5 inches
It was the worst install ever

625 can also run two tv sets, the only advantage tivo has is you can upgrade the hard drive yourself. The picture will be better on the 625 because tivo has to re-encode the video to record.

If you can find an 811 and an antenna you can record clear locals on the tivo without having to subsribe to locals from dish.

Reason for new dish

The reason for the new dish is so you can get MPEG 4 channels on the 129 Sat, All new HD channels will be on the 129 Sat.

QUOTE=Mr Zero;753954]I have six receivers, 3 311s, 2 DVRs (they're both older models) and, I believe, an 811 HD receiver. I am going to get rid of the 811 because DISH wants me to pay $50 to put a new dish on my roof after THEY moved my HD locals to another satellite.[/QUOTE]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)