TIVO wins E* Lawsuit - Potential Impact on ALL DVRs

Polaroid is the only one that I know of that makes an instant camera. Main reason, they patented the process. However, with digital cameras and photo printers, the Instamatic, has went the way of the 8 track. Not cost effective and quality was never there.

This could end up looking a lot like what happened with Blackberry a few months ago when they lost their patent case. There were threats that Blackberry service would be shutdown. Weeping and wailing from Blackberry users about how they wouldn't be able to live without it, and at the last minute a deal that allowed the service to continue. I expect E* to fight this as long as possible in court, but if they lose, they will take it to the brink, and then settle on making a payment to Tivo that will allow them to continue distributing DVR's.

StevenD said:
Actually...

Texarkana is named for being at the junction of three U.S. states: Texas, Arkansas, and Louisiana

I thought it was Arklatex...at least thats what I hear on the TV when we visit the in-laws in E TX.

dervari said:
I thought it was Arklatex...at least thats what I hear on the TV when we visit the in-laws in E TX.
Maybe you are watching Arkansas TV. We in Texas would never allow the "Ark" part to be first! :D

Texarkana is actually the name of the town. There is a Texarkana, TX and a Texarkana, AR.

Last edited:
Stargazer said:
Tivo suffering due to other companies coming out with their own DVR service hurt TIvo really bad and almost put them under forcing Tivo to take action like this. I do not think that the current Dish or DirecTv DVR's using their own "in house" software would be capable of using Tivo software. A box swap would be required in which would cost a heck of a lot. Perhaps all new MPEG-4 receivers would receive it.

If DirecTv was able to offer Tivo for $6 per receiver then why shouldnt Dish Network?

If all the Dish Network DVR's became boat anchors then there would be a slew of lawsuits (or class action) unless it was replaced with one at least as good. If the DVR prices would go up then a lot of people would switch providers for a better deal. They cannot raise DVR fees without a HUGE effect. I guess we can forget about seeing the DVR fee waived on the AEP package in the future if Dish has to start paying royalties to Tivo and perhaps another DVR fee increase (maybe another buck). I do NOT like the per receiver DVR fee.

Maybe Dish Network can make a deal if they do not get to buy them out in which they can waive all previous receivers made from having to get Tivo software if the software is required to get the service. Tivo would probably not make that a requirement though since all they would care about is the $$ money $$.

Actually the Tivo and Dish use the same chipsets (from broadcom) for the most part. Both DVRs run Linux already. While not trivial, it's also not totally impossible either. It's likely they'd do a box swap just because the upgrade would likely mean totally wiping the drive.

As far as fees, Dish could get the same deal as DirecTV. Which charges a per house DVR fee. Not a per unit DVR fee.

This stuff about Tivo software being over the top is just plain crazy... The 942 software compares very fairly to the Tivo software. If I have to choose one over the other, I will choose the 942 software. I find the Tivo interface and menus just "dumb" while the 942 software behaves like a regular VCR but with additional features that improve the interface. I never understood all the hype about the Tivo and got one after hearing all about it. I have been using it for almost a year now and still find the 942 interface a lot easier to use and understand. Tivo is all about HYPE and NAME.

Technically I don't think Tivo should have won. The reason for this is the fact that the DISH Network DVR's take the digital bit streem from the satellite and put it on the hard drive. Where as with Tivo, an analog signal is converted to digital and stored on the hard drive.

On the other hand I like my Tivo and its nice to see them win so they will continue to be in business..

Now we all know dam well charlie has no intention of paying them. The best we can expect to see from this is for charlie to appeal, settle out of court and incorporate tivo technology in echostar dvr's

Speedy guide scolling is in danger......

It would be good to have better Season Pass management, but I prefer the way E* chooses to display things. The goofy sound effects can stay with Tivo too....

patrickpiteo said:
SoTivo wil have to sue all the cable companies also.
I'm not aware of any cable companies who build their own DVRs or even the software for DVRs. Which cablecos are you referring to ??

The more I think about this the more I think that once E* settles and I suspect they will eventually settle, E* will just continue to use the same basic software they are using now and just add the TIVO label somewhere and pay some royalty's to TIVO. Maybe just maybe if we are lucky add an TIVO enhancement or two to get something for their (E* customers) money.

Jim S. said:
I've always said that if people are going to abuse the patent system by taking out patents on the obvious, we should abolish patents altogether.
pdxsam said:
The problem with the patent system is not only the abuse but the fact that the government grants the abusive patents.

It's wacky that you can patent something that's already been patented by another group if you have some additional idea that makes it "better"

Is Tivo going to sue the open source offerings like Myth TV? Doubtful, but they could and that would make things really scary.

Sam

But all patents are built by standing on someone else's shoulders. I can't think of a single patent that wasn't either an improvement on some existing patent, or something where multiple groups weren't racing to be the first to file. Even in that case, it's still generally built on existing technology.

In addition, I always keep hearing "Well, that was obvious. Why did they grant a patent on that?" Everything is obvious once it has been done.

The real problem is that patents get purchased by litigation companies from the original stakeholders who go broke creating the technology. I would be in favor of a use it or lose it clause where the patent expires unless one can prove it is being actively exploited.

jayn_j said:
But all patents are built by standing on someone else's shoulders. I can't think of a single patent that wasn't either an improvement on some existing patent, or something where multiple groups weren't racing to be the first to file. Even in that case, it's still generally built on existing technology.

In addition, I always keep hearing "Well, that was obvious. Why did they grant a patent on that?" Everything is obvious once it has been done.

The real problem is that patents get purchased by litigation companies from the original stakeholders who go broke creating the technology. I would be in favor of a use it or lose it clause where the patent expires unless one can prove it is being actively exploited.

The reason why it is "obvious" to me, is that Tivo is using a multitasking OS (Linux) to multitask!!... you know while watching one program it is recording another... I.E. it is multitasking.

Jerry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts