TIVO wins E* Lawsuit - Potential Impact on ALL DVRs

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2005
http://yahoo.reuters.com/stocks/Quo...6-04-13_22-00-43_WEN4580&symbol=TIVO.O&rpc=44

TiVo wins EchoStar patent lawsuit
Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:00 PM ET
NEW YORK, April 13 (Reuters) - Digital recording technology maker TiVo Inc. on Thursday said it has won a patent lawsuit against satellite television operator EchoStar Communications Corp.

In the case, TiVo charged EchoStar with stealing technology that allows users to record one TV program while watching another via a digital video recorder.

HDTVFanAtic said:
http://yahoo.reuters.com/stocks/Quo...6-04-13_22-00-43_WEN4580&symbol=TIVO.O&rpc=44

TiVo wins EchoStar patent lawsuit
Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:00 PM ET
NEW YORK, April 13 (Reuters) - Digital recording technology maker TiVo Inc. on Thursday said it has won a patent lawsuit against satellite television operator EchoStar Communications Corp.

In the case, TiVo charged EchoStar with stealing technology that allows users to record one TV program while watching another via a digital video recorder.

WOW... Now it's in Echostars best interest to buy TIVO. Which could be a good thing if they can incorporate some of the great things from TIVO into the DVR software here.

Sam

pdxsam said:
WOW... Now it's in Echostars best interest to buy TIVO. Which could be a good thing if they can incorporate some of the great things from TIVO into the DVR software here.

Sam

That is a great idea & exactly why E* will never do it

I have been saying for a long time Dish should buy Tivo.

Hell when Replay was for sale I was saying Dish was NUTS not to bid on it. The folks who won it got it for a song and a dance.

Scott Greczkowski said:
It will be years (if they ever see it at all)

Of course you can expect a new wave of lawsuits against others who make DVRs now. :(

You are right there Scott.

Dish will appeal.

Dish also has their countersuit to be heard next year in Taxarcana, TX.
Another place known for giving plantiffs large awards.

I really think this is going to end just like the Gemstar deal did, With Dish buying part or all of Tivo.

Scott Greczkowski said:
It will be years (if they ever see it at all)

Of course you can expect a new wave of lawsuits against others who make DVRs now. :(

I hope so. Maybe the courts can force Comcast to take their peice of crap DVR and replace it with a TiVo unit. :D

-John

jgantert said:
I hope so. Maybe the courts can force Comcast to take their peice of crap DVR and replace it with a TiVo unit. :D

-John
I thought comcrap had a deal with TIVO already,..for the cablecard model

You had better believe the selling price of Tivo just quadrupled. Knowing Charlie, he probably had a deal already worked out with Tivo: Tivo gets purchased at a premium and Charlie gains the patents and legal precedence to go after D* and others. That would be too funny!:p

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised to see our DVR fees shoot up and for the DVR fee waiver to go away with AEP/DishHD Platinum. Perhaps this is why E* is the only one charging multiple DVR fees.:(

RVD420 said:
Dish also has their countersuit to be heard next year in Taxarcana, TX.
Another place known for giving plantiffs large awards.
It's Texarkana - Half Texas- Half Arkansas.
Tom in TX

RVD420 said:
I really think this is going to end just like the Gemstar deal did, With Dish buying part or all of Tivo.

PATONENOW said:
And now you know before that decision was rendered WHY DIRECTTV decided to renew their relationship with TIVO for 3 more years

But how happy will D* be if they have to pay E* a couple million bucks a month royalty? :eek:

I speculated early on that if E* lost, they would make a deal to aquire TiVo. They would steal a bunch of subs from D* especially if they provided full features like HMO and MRV.

D* needs to step up and aquire TiVo before E* does. What is good for TiVo in this case is not necessarily good for D*.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)