TNT Stretches for HD

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City

Defense Contractor Helps Create 'Stretch-O-Vision'
TNT has long been offering one of the best, and most frustrating, HD channels on basic cable. The TNT movie library is an enviable collection of titles that appeal directly to the adult male HD-viewer demographic. Hundreds of quality action and drama movies like "The Matrix," "Gladiator," "Saving Private Ryan," "Panic Room" and the Lord of the Rings trilogy are on the list.
Full Story>

Please read the above article according to this quote:

Clyde D. Smith, TNT's senior VP of broadcast engineering, research and development, quality assurance and metrics, said TNT first tried presenting standard-definition content with "pillar box" bars, just like ESPN HD.

The senior VP at TNT claims that TNTHD first started presenting standard definition content with "pillar box". This is absolutely incorrect. I had TNT HD since it first started broadcasting in HD through both Dish Network and VOOM DBS (now gone). TNT HD never made the attempt of trying "pillar box" on SD programming. To complicate the matter, TNT HD labeled all their strech-o-vision SD programming as HD which it still being used and it is quite ridiculous. I have sent numerous emails to TNT, through their website contact email, and they never cared to respond. I found it quite outrageous that Mr. Smith can make a claim like this. Please contact the author and let him know that Mr. Smith should be contacted once more and be challenged about the above quote.

Send email with comments to: jhibberd@tvweek.com

Although I too never recall seeing the 4:3 pillar boxed, to be devil's advocate, I don't see where he says they went to air with it, so maybe they did some focus group or test sampling somewhere, somehow, and decide before air not to go that way.

SatelliteGuys in the News...

Hey, Sean and I were quoted in TV Week...

February 1 - HD Readers Speak Out

TNT Stretched the Truth

Thanks so much for the story about "Stretch -O-Vision" on TNT. Personally for me, I can't watch anything on TNT/HD on this format. It does not look right. They have so little respect for the films they are "altering." I am surprised that the Directors Guild and many others have not yet complained. This is a terrible and very annoying solution.

Chuck Braverman
Braverman Productions, Inc.
Santa Monica, CA

In your recent article: "Clyde D. Smith, TNT's senior VP of broadcast engineering, research and development, quality assurance and metrics, said TNT first tried presenting standard-definition content with 'pillar box' bars, just like ESPN HD."

I believe Mr. Smith is quite incorrect. I had TNT HD since it first came into the air through both Dish Network and Voom DBS (now gone from the scene). TNT HD never approached the "pillar box" and from day one of their first simulcast "stretch-o-vision" was the norm. Despite various attempts of contacting TNT HD through their Web sites contact information, they never responded to anyone about the problem. Not only was this the biggest problem but also that while simulcasting the "stretch-o-vision" TNT HD uses the description "simulcast in HD" to confuse the entire matter. I hope you can get back to Mr. Smith and let him know how wrong he is about trying "pillar box" on TNT HD. He never did.

Sean Mota

Regarding your TNT article … I very much enjoyed the article, very good read. However … I have been an avid HD enthusiast for more than five years and have been watching TNT HD since it debuted on the now defunct VOOM HD Network, and subsequently on Dish Network and Cable. With confidence, I can state that I have never seen TNTHD present standard-definition content with "pillar box" bars long enough for anyone to take notice. All my video friends complain about their Stretch-O-Vision, and not a single one of them can recall a single broadcast made by TNT HD in native 4:3. The picture was always been stretched.
Just wanted to point this out.

James Riffenburg

TNT Responds:

What may be causing the confusion is that we were speaking about both TNT and the Turner networks in general. Turner operates several services besides TNT. One of these, TBS, also has a local station in Atlanta. As part of the federally mandated DTV conversion, Turner launched WTBS DTV channel 20 in Atlanta. For that service Turner launched with simple 4x3 upconversion which results in the pillar box effect with black bars on the sides. Partially based on the experience gained with consumers in this venue, Turner decided NOT to launch TNT with the black bars and developed, in conjunction with Teranex, the Flex View method of upconverting 4x3 into 16x9. The viewers comments are exactly correct in asserting that we NEVER transmitted TNT with pillar boxed video.

At least the respond is satisfactory now but the "stretch-o-vision" of TNT HD is still perplexing why they are still trying to push it. I have given up watching TNT HD. I haven't recorded anything from it since the Closer finished. Their movies are repeated too often and many times they are "stretch-o-vision" and not HD. I guess the only good thing on it is the NBA but I do not watch NBA Basketball until the playoffs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)