To cold for a pole mount

Status
Please reply by conversation.

erict

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Looks like I will have to wait a good two months for HD. We have had a milder winter here in Michigan until yesterday. Looks like its going to be cold enough for a while around here so I can't install my pole mount:cool:

Looks like I will have to wait a good two months for HD. We have had a milder winter here in Michigan until yesterday. Looks like its going to be cold enough for a while around here so I can't install my pole mount:cool:

You can do it if your not in a hurry, Concrete will take a bit longer to dry !
It should be mid 30's next Saturday. :)

You can do it if your not in a hurry, Concrete will take a bit longer to dry !
It should be mid 30's next Saturday. :)

Yea I could, But the first couple of feet after this week won't be fun with a post hole digger:(

You can still pour quickcrete during the winter time even with the temps below freezing. Remember you have to be three feet down though I always went to four feet, if the ground is indeed frozen it will only be the top couple of inches. Mix in warm water and pour the crete in around the pole and backfill in right away and you'll be fine, if you want you can wrap an old blanket around the pole covering the hole keeping in some of the warmth from the warm water but that shouldnt be necesary. The crete should set within an hour so dont touch the pole and it should cure fully in a day or so.

Yea I could, But the first couple of feet after this week won't be fun with a post hole digger:(
Little trick you can do, take a large black plastic trash bag and lay it flat on the ground where you want to dig, make sure the snow is off the ground and put something heavy on the edges to hold it in place. As long as you have sun to light cloud cover it should warm up the ground enough to make it easy to get a post hole digger in the ground but I can tell you that the ground is most likley only frozen within the first six inches if the winter has been mild. Another thing to is snow will actually insulate unfrozen ground and keep it at about 32 for a good while.

All good suggestions and will consider my options.

Make sure you go four feet down in Michigan. Three feet is definitely not deep enough.

Make sure you go four feet down in Michigan. Three feet is definitely not deep enough.

I would be willing to bet that the ground is NOT frozen 3 ft deep in michigan, it has NOT been that cold for an extended period of time.
Of course, I'm not talking NORTHERN mi.

Jimbo

This wont help you much but if I need to set a pole in the winter I have a piece of equipment that goes on my tractor called a post digger, it hooks to the pto shaft and has a swirl pole on it and it will big in the ground when you lower the arms on the tractor.

Normally in the summer time I just pour the cement dry in the hole and then pour water in. Just wondering if I can get away with this in the winter:rolleyes:

Take a wheelbarrow and turn it upside down over a pile of lit charcoals over the area you want to dig and leave it for an hour or so. That seems to work for thawing the ground a bit better than nothing around here anyhow.

Get something heavy like a large log or a dead motor block.....or a non pen roof mount.
Bolt the mast to that and wait till spring.

Joe

bang the end of your pole flat drive it down about 4 to 5 feet into the ground and ur all set in the spring u can dowhat u want with it. I did a pole mount ysterday here in buffalo no plrobems. wont ven here from that sucker again

bang the end of your pole flat drive it down about 4 to 5 feet into the ground and ur all set in the spring u can dowhat u want with it. I did a pole mount ysterday here in buffalo no plrobems. wont ven here from that sucker again

Please please please dont do this for the love of god or what ever you believe in, as soon as the ground gets a little wet then and theres a bit of wind the pole will start moving and is the biggest pole mount related trouble call issue that I faced when I installed and they always end up spinning or wobbling.

Please please please dont do this for the love of god or what ever you believe in, as soon as the ground gets a little wet then and theres a bit of wind the pole will start moving and is the biggest pole mount related trouble call issue that I faced when I installed and they always end up spinning or wobbling.

I think that would be a desperate measure:rolleyes: Maybe I will try the log or dead motor block:eek: I think I will just rent a post hole digger and be done with it. Thanks guys for the recommendations.

I think you will be fine getting it done. Also....depending on how high your pole is and if it is close enough to the house.....suggest a cross brace from the house to the pole. It really helps when those winds come in over the lake :)

IMG_0073_1.jpg

I think you will be fine getting it done. Also....depending on how high your pole is and if it is close enough to the house.....suggest a cross brace from the house to the pole. It really helps when those winds come in over the lake :)

IMG_0073_1.jpg

OK first off You need to change your avatar:pto the BIG M:up
OK now that we got that out of the way I need some info on your pole. Mine will be next to the house buy not that high, maybe 5' at the most. Also what is your OD on your pole? It looks like you have another piece of pipe slipped over it? Was that to make it a 2"OD pipe?

OK first off You need to change your avatar:pto the BIG M:up
OK now that we got that out of the way I need some info on your pole. Mine will be next to the house buy not that high, maybe 5' at the most. Also what is your OD on your pole? It looks like you have another piece of pipe slipped over it? Was that to make it a 2"OD pipe?

The od for the Slimline pole is 2".

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Going to direct tv

Crappy sound on HD music channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts