To Power or Not to Power a DPP44

johnhicks

Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
McCall, ID
The old part timer has installed several DPP44's and always used the power unit provided. The other day I was servicing a site that had a 500 and a 300 running into a 44 but the 44 did not have external power. The switch was feeding 4 receivers, some of them dual and everything was working fine after some reallignment. Especially with the issues of burned out LNB's we have read about, when do you need to use a power supply???

"when do you need to use a power supply???"

IMO, always! The receiver that is on port 1 is powering the switch and it's over working to power the switch and lnbs. Eventually that receiver could fail.

Thanks Randall, that may explain some of the issues he has had with his 622 over the months. The 44 is outside so I should be able to put the power insterter inside on port 1, right?

Thanks again.

Definately POWER!

If you dont power it then your killing your satellite receivers power supply which is trying to handle the load. After awhile your receiver will DIE.

Always use the powersupply with the switch, why do you think they come with them?

Definately POWER!

If you dont power it then your killing your satellite receivers power supply which is trying to handle the load. After awhile your receiver will DIE.

Always use the powersupply with the switch, why do you think they come with them?

That's not totally true. There are some situations when for whatever reason the power inverter causes a problem with DVR receivers (especially the HD DVRs) and has to be removed in order for the system to function properly. Some believe there may be too much power going back out.

But there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. Tech Support hasn't responded with any explanation for it to our trainer's inquiry.

Trust me, I have talked about this at length with Paul one of the guys who designs the switches. If it has a power supply you should use it.

Trust me, I have talked about this at length with Paul one of the guys who designs the switches. If it has a power supply you should use it.

Reality isn't what happens on the designer's drawing board. Reality is what happens in the customer's house.

Yes, I know all about "port one", blah, blah, blah,....

Just telling you that for some reason the HD DVRs and the power inverters don't "mesh" together correctly at times.

Last edited:
I am a prime example. My 622 would switch error with the power inserter on the switch. I even took the 622 to another port and just had the inserter in port 1. 622 still did not like it. 622 in port 1 no power inserter 222 on port 2. No problems for 18 months now.