To Sling or not to Sling - That is the question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Snoozer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
I was prepaired to switch to DISH this week and was just about convinced not to get the Sling because it won't be able to do a good job of streaming video content to another location via the internet without having the ability to upload a sizeable amount of data (i.e. spending $30+/mo to increase my current DSL speed at home) when along comes a very reputable DISH AR who tells me I can do this without any problem. He referred me to DISH's site where it says the Sling adapter needs a minimum of 650 Kbps bandwith. I even used their speed test and I was at little over 1.5Mbps. He says DISH wouldn't put it on there if they didn't think you couldn't use the Sling at those speeds and that I should go ahead with my original plan to get the Hopper with the Sling.
Now I'm really confused about what to do. :confused:

Your upload speed is 1.5? Or your download speed?

The upload speed is what you will need to be concerned with when it comes to sling.

The reason I ask is, 1.5mbps seems fairly high for a DSL upload, but seems right in line with a mid level DSL DOWNLOAD offering.

I would recommend 5Mbps up if you can get it.

I know my DSL phone company offers that. It is only $5 more per month for the 5 Mbps up option. Standard I think is 856Kbps (or something like that).

My U-Verse connection has 1.5Mb up and I have no issues using my Hopper/Sling adapter. I will admit that I leave the quality setting on Standard on the app, but even with that it streams well with a nice, clear picture - assuming I have good bandwidth at the remote location.

My U-Verse connection has 1.5Mb up and I have no issues using my Hopper/Sling adapter. I will admit that I leave the quality setting on Standard on the app, but even with that it streams well with a nice, clear picture - assuming I have good bandwidth at the remote location.

What about the programs that have been recorded in HD? Does Sling convert them to SD before streaming them from the STB?

I have a 922 and have been able to sling to my phone on Edge. You get a ridiculously low resolution picture but it does work, so 100 kbit/sec or less does work.

I think it depends on the consistency of your upload. I have 1mbps up with clearwire. I usually can stream high quality remotely but sometimes I have to go to standard on my tablet. I also dedicated a port on my router I think it helped.

I'm using the sling on a .5 mbps up and it works. I don't get great quality, but I get a descent enough quality that I can tolerate it. What I do all the time though is stream it to my ipad while i'm at the house.

I'm thinking about going dish. I just purchased a vulkano lava because I didn't know if I was going dish or dtv and I didn't want it tied into a single device. I am on uverse. I can get good quality at 750ish on up. I'm thinking about upping my internet to see if that helps but generally its good quality at 800plus. 700kb I notice some artifacts.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)