To Sling or not to Sling - That is the question

Snoozer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
I was prepaired to switch to DISH this week and was just about convinced not to get the Sling because it won't be able to do a good job of streaming video content to another location via the internet without having the ability to upload a sizeable amount of data (i.e. spending $30+/mo to increase my current DSL speed at home) when along comes a very reputable DISH AR who tells me I can do this without any problem. He referred me to DISH's site where it says the Sling adapter needs a minimum of 650 Kbps bandwith. I even used their speed test and I was at little over 1.5Mbps. He says DISH wouldn't put it on there if they didn't think you couldn't use the Sling at those speeds and that I should go ahead with my original plan to get the Hopper with the Sling.
Now I'm really confused about what to do. :confused:

Your upload speed is 1.5? Or your download speed?

The upload speed is what you will need to be concerned with when it comes to sling.

The reason I ask is, 1.5mbps seems fairly high for a DSL upload, but seems right in line with a mid level DSL DOWNLOAD offering.

I would recommend 5Mbps up if you can get it.

I know my DSL phone company offers that. It is only $5 more per month for the 5 Mbps up option. Standard I think is 856Kbps (or something like that).

My U-Verse connection has 1.5Mb up and I have no issues using my Hopper/Sling adapter. I will admit that I leave the quality setting on Standard on the app, but even with that it streams well with a nice, clear picture - assuming I have good bandwidth at the remote location.

My U-Verse connection has 1.5Mb up and I have no issues using my Hopper/Sling adapter. I will admit that I leave the quality setting on Standard on the app, but even with that it streams well with a nice, clear picture - assuming I have good bandwidth at the remote location.

What about the programs that have been recorded in HD? Does Sling convert them to SD before streaming them from the STB?

I have a 922 and have been able to sling to my phone on Edge. You get a ridiculously low resolution picture but it does work, so 100 kbit/sec or less does work.

I think it depends on the consistency of your upload. I have 1mbps up with clearwire. I usually can stream high quality remotely but sometimes I have to go to standard on my tablet. I also dedicated a port on my router I think it helped.

I'm using the sling on a .5 mbps up and it works. I don't get great quality, but I get a descent enough quality that I can tolerate it. What I do all the time though is stream it to my ipad while i'm at the house.

I'm thinking about going dish. I just purchased a vulkano lava because I didn't know if I was going dish or dtv and I didn't want it tied into a single device. I am on uverse. I can get good quality at 750ish on up. I'm thinking about upping my internet to see if that helps but generally its good quality at 800plus. 700kb I notice some artifacts.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts