To those considering a new receiver from Dish

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
Just to add some perspective to those considering whether to invest in a new receiver from Dish, you might want to include in your considerations what is happening to those that have gone before you.

Basically whatever investment customers have made in a 6000, 811, 921 or 942 will in a sense revert back to Dish after Feb 1st. Although you won't actually pay them anything, by refusing to activate your receiver for anyone else, you automatically loose the ability to recoup any of it's value by selling it plus Dish picks up a receiver sale from who might otherwise have purchased your receiver.

Wouldn't it be great if car makers adopted this tactic? It would take all that stress out of trading in or selling your old car. Everybody just throws away the old and buys / leases the new.

I realize that analogy is a bit extreme but it just irks me how Dish has taken so much blatant control over customers with this latest move.

jeslevine said:
one difference, there is competition, and if people don't like it they can go with direct or cable

Here's an example of how competition works:

"D" downrezed their HD but instead of advertising full rez HD to go after those "D" subs, "E" starts doing the same thing.

jeslevine said:
one difference, there is competition, and if people don't like it they can go with direct or cable

However, when the cable choice is Mediacon, it's a given
that there is only one other choice beside E*. :(

I keep reading that the old HD receivers will be worthless after Feb 1st. Dish has only said the will not activate them for HD. If I read this correctly the receivers will still be activated for SD programming and the OFA HD should still work, so the value will be decreased but they will not be worthless.

netminder32 said:
However, when the cable choice is Mediacon, it's a given
that there is only one other choice beside E*. :(

Brother you got that right. I started out w/ Mediacon HD what a joke. Quickly switched to Voom then Dish.

rmoore3d said:
I keep reading that the old HD receivers will be worthless after Feb 1st. Dish has only said the will not activate them for HD. If I read this correctly the receivers will still be activated for SD programming and the OFA HD should still work, so the value will be decreased but they will not be worthless.

In addition if you are already subscribed to an HD package than your 811 and 942 will still work for that HD programming. They are only useless as far as NEW ACTIVATIONS are concerned.

joverstr2 said:
Brother you got that right. I started out w/ Mediacon HD what a joke. Quickly switched to Voom then Dish.

Had mediaCRAP (com) for THREE years! What a WASTE! BUt ilm glad ive waited to get this new 622... HURRY 2-1

jerryez said:
Dish does not require you to send in your old receiver.
I think getting the $200 rebate on the 622 after April 1st requires you send in a 921 or 942, which, other than having to wait for the new channels, is reasonable if you lease but terrible if you own.

waltinvt said:
I think getting the $200 rebate on the 622 after April 1st requires you send in a 921 or 942, which, other than having to wait for the new channels, is reasonable if you lease but terrible if you own.

If you own them, I don't think you have to send them in.

What happens if I want to sign up for one of the new HD packages and get an MPEG-4 receiver, but I want to move my 811 to another room? Will the 811 be able to receive the HD channels I currently get with the $9.99 HD package and HBOHD? I'm assuming it won't pick up the new HD channels.

rmoore3d is right.
- - - - -
And has been posted several places, the sky is NOT falling, you do not need to return owned equipment, only leased equipment is returned. AND you still get the same deal.

It was nonsense to ever think you had to turn in property you own in order to be allowed to lease other property. Panic. And the 811, 921 & 942 will work just as they do today for months or years to come, they just won't pick up new offerings. And even after all HD is moved to MPEG-4, they'll still pick up SD, probably for years. And even after that, after all Dish programming is MPEG-4, assuming that day ever comes, the digital OTA tuners will still work. They still have value, just declining value- just like everything else we own. Think it's "unfair" that your equipment won't have as long a lifetime as you expected? Is the alternative to freeze progress, and the rest of us are denied MPEG-4 (more programming in the same bandwidth) so your equipment retains it's value longer?

Yes, I wish Dish would give an extra break to those that just bought 811/921/942 equipment in the last few months. But folks that frequent here should have seen it coming. I did, and restrained myself until the 962 came out- or the VIP622, as it's been renamed.
- - - - -
Let's say you sign up for one of the metallic packages. Your new, HD MPEG-4 8PSK compliant receiver will pick up all the HD programming. Your 811 in the new room will pick up the ones you can see today. You just won't receive the ones marked as MPEG-4.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)