To Turbo or not to Turbo?

shanewalker

Overall, an O.K. Guy
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 15, 2005
KC/MO!
As a returning Dish HD sub--was denied service through line-of-site issues and have since moved into a new city/home, we thought that the TurboHD Gold package of channels would be our best value. We'd thought about other service providers, but Dish was good to us, and I can't wait to re-fire up our old purchased 622 that's been in moth balls the past year and a half.

Why TurboHD? Well, we seem to be the ideal market for it. We watch almost exclusively HD when we can, and most of the basic channels cover our key programs ('Lost', 'Mad Men', 'Burn Notice', 'Eureka,' and the Daily Show are all on network or avail HD equivs of basic cable channels). We plan on using Netflix/blu-ray rental for most new movie viewing. So why waste money on a bunch of channels/SD we're not going to watch, right?

But in coming back to the forums here, I see a LOT of negative buzz about the Turbo packages, and I'm wondering what is pertinent to our family's best programming choices and what might just be FUD or N/A. We're due for install end-of-the-month--and I'd appreciate some good advice. Thanks!

That's a very difficult question. I'm currently a TurboSilver customer. I have a dual receiver which means I get HD on my main hdtv, and SD equivalents on my second tv which is an SD. That's weird anyways, but:

-Turbos were supposed to get all the HD channels that the equivalent "Classic" package has. So, I was supposed to get all of the Classic Silver HD channels. This is technically (fine print) not true, but advertising and common sense led me to believe this.
-It appears that in early spring when more HD channels were added to Dish, there were problems with the "contracts," which led to Turbos not getting all of the channels. Recently, despite Dish's incompetent Platinum marketing, "10 Platinum" channels were added for free to HD packages, except Turbos. No one knows why. Was this due to Dish's contracts or their decision to get rid of Turbos?
-Dish hasn't said a word about the future or present of Turbos. Their website recently took down most of the info about Turbos, so you may not be able to get it, but current Turbos can switch around amongst the 3 turbo packages if they want.

So the long version of the story is that Dish doesn't communicate so we all are left guessing. Shame on them! But, I'm staying with my Turbo package because:

1. It cost $18 bucks less a month compared to the incomparable Classic Silver (which I used to have)
  2. Contains most of the channels I want (when Turbos came out, they originally included most of the major channels to begin with)
I would suggest that if you want all of the channels possible, and you don't mind paying more, go for the current Classic + $10HD add on package. But, if you want most of the channels (check a listing the Turbo package you want first) and want to save some money, go with Turbos if they let you.

Now that MSNBC and SPEED are available in HD, I would NOT recommend the Turbo packages. TurboHD unfortunately excludes a few important HD channels.

The Turbo packs are gone now. Since you have not had service for a while I doubt that you can get into those packs again.

The three customer service reps that I spoke with when placing my install order all reacted the same way when I asked for the Turbo package--that is, they didn't so much as shrug. Even the fellow who finalized my order in executive let out nary a peep about any of the issues mentioned nor any suggestion that the service was due to go bye-bye...

So, what's up with that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)