Today was my last day as an AT&T employee

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Kind of a surreal day as I have been along for the ride. DirecTV was a great company to work for and I was with the company pre-AT&T, back in DirecTV's peak. Great benefits and great people. The company knew that the customer was the focus as they were what paid our paychecks. The sense of innovation and accomplishment has all gone from what it was 7 years ago. I am moving on to working in a production truck from working one of DirecTV's regional uplink facilities. While I enjoyed my time at AT&T much better opportunities are out there and while AT&T has it's issues, I'm not going to discuss those issues publicly. I appreciate everyone's support as a customer and hope that DirecTV succeeds in the future and best of luck to those who are still with the mother ship.

Best of luck Bob in your new venture. It's difficult when companies transition, sometimes through no choice of their own. I was with an employer nearly 20 years, in retail management, and over that time saw the company go from opening a store a day to closing hundreds a year, tough to see when that is your livelihood. AT&T is somewhat similar, at least the way the've handled DirecTV. They say the grass isn't always greener on the other side, but sometimes it can be pretty green, and when you look down you realize the grass you're standing on has gotten quite brown.

Reactions: goaliebob99
Best of luck Bob in your new venture. It's difficult when companies transition, sometimes through no choice of their own. I was with an employer nearly 20 years, in retail management, and over that time saw the company go from opening a store a day to closing hundreds a year, tough to see when that is your livelihood. AT&T is somewhat similar, at least the way the've handled DirecTV. They say the grass isn't always greener on the other side, but sometimes it can be pretty green, and when you look down you realize the grass you're standing on has gotten quite brown.

It’s like that everywhere. It seems any large entity that has many employees cares about them less and less as the years go by.
I am in government, Federal, civil service.
Still a good stable job with excellent benefits, but it seems over the years I have been with my agency the higher ups care less and less about us and want us to do more with less.
Each union contract we get the agency whittles more and more at our working conditions.
The last one was terrible for us as it stripped our ability to telework, which was great for thousands of employees like myself that have to commute many miles each day.

Reactions: goaliebob99
Good luck Bob!

It seems to me that since the recession of 2008 nobody is safe. I worked over 30 years in local government, loved my jobs, got great reviews. Then all of the sudden I was 58 years old and was apparently making to much for the newer generation of bean counters taking over. I was called into a meeting and given two choices. Retire immediately and be given a contract for one year (double dip) and then be gone, or work another year with no option to return. I took the second option because I needed one more year to have 30 years in retirement.

I actually was very fortunate because I know many folks who worked in both private and public sector for over 25 years, who were called into a meeting and told they had one hour to clean out their desk!

Anyone who thinks the company/firm/entity they work for has their best interest in mind will be headed for a rude awakening someday. Also if you think there are laws against age discrimination, well sorry it happens everyday and will happen to you.

Since I retired 10 years ago there have been four different employees in my former position. I guess it is cheeper to hire folks for less money, strip away benefits, train them and then have them leave, then keep someone around and have stability in an organization.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)