Today's the Day

SRW1000

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
Wisconsin
The latest firmware upgrade for the 811 is supposed to be out by the end of June.

I can't wait to get home from work later today, hook the 811 back up, download the new software, and start enjoying the receiver that I've had for six months but haven't been able to use because of the dark s-video problem. (OK, that was a really, really long sentence, and I hope everyone was able to pick up on the sarcasm/frustration.)

Seriously, has anyone seen any hint of an upgrade yet? After six months I can wait a little longer, but I'm getting very close to asking Dish for a refund for my 811, which they're welcome to have back. The 721 deal looks pretty good right now, and Voom and DirecTV are also rather attractive.

Scott

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for software updates. They just seem to come out whenever, even though the CSR's may tell you a date. I just hope the next software update dosen't screw anything up. My 811 has been perfect since 266 came out. Before it was so dark I had to unsubscribe it. Also the guide constantly messed up. Have't had a bit of problem since and the brightness is near perfect on all ouputs.

There must be hardware differences since some 811 didn't respond to the 266 update. I have compared my brightness from the 811 with OTA, DVD and VHS and they are all the same now. Before if I set the brightness up for DVD, the 811 was way too dark or if I got the pic right on the 811, the DVD would was way too bright. I couldn't find a happy mid point for other devices and the 811. All is good now. Hope 268 fixes the rest of them.

Well, I just got off the phone with a generic Dish CSR, who said that the new software will be released tomorrow - for sure.

I guess I can wait one more day.

Scott

SRW1000 said:
Well, I just got off the phone with a generic Dish CSR, who said that the new software will be released tomorrow - for sure. I guess I can wait one more day. Scott

Not sure if either of these are true, but at least keep them in mind:

1. I have read you should turn off the power from the STB not the remote to get any software. Sounds weird, but what can it hurt; right?
2. The software may begin rollout on a specific date but not all 811's will get it on that one day. It will take several days for everyone to get it.

charper1 said:

1. I have read you should turn off the power from the STB not the remote to get any software. Sounds weird, but what can it hurt; right?
2. The software may begin rollout on a specific date but not all 811's will get it on that one day. It will take several days for everyone to get it.

Every software download I have ever received, and there have been several, was with a remote shutoff.

charper1 said:

Actually I don't think it matters.. You just need to power off your 811 and enable get software updates Automatically. Having "Update Software Automatically" disabled does not insure that your 811 will not take the update. Dish can override this and they do when a software upgraded is mandatory.

charper1 said:
This may or maynot be the case. With the last rollout it was a slow roll out. I still don't have a clue what it fixed and why they did a slow roll out. The updates before have been to everyone and were immediate.

IMHO based on past experience How the software is distributed depends a lot on the type of update, the number of receivers out there, and how Dish wants it distributed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts