Told I can't get Dish

jeepers94

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Well after waiting 5 weeks to get my Dish installed,my installer says no go. I have a one acre lot.The only place he was willing to put it was about 5 feet from the sidewalk .I live on the corner of 2 streets.
The location for his install was in the corner of the 2 streets. He said I could get sd but not hd anywhere else. I have a metal roof,on my house and shop.So that is out. He says it looks better for Direct.I do like Directs programming,but not their equipment. It will run me $15 more per month,plus the $498 up front lease.I tried to get Dish to send a different installer,but they just cancelled me instead.

No,I'm right. The installer insisted it would go there.I said no way.Oh,he also suggested cutting down 2 100 year old maple trees. I had C band for 15 years,guess I should have kept it.

Contact a Local Retailer, They tend to be a little hungryer, and more willing to be creative. Admitedly, there are some places that just won't go, but I've seen DNSC no-go places just cause they are too overloaded and dont want to work. The dish could mostlikly work where the Cband was. Same elevation and there are pipe-mast adapters just for that.

I don't quite understand by what you mean with No I'm right based on your initial post.

There's too little information given.... #1 your geographic location, 129 might be too low in your area, 61.5 can't tell with not knowing your property.

I say your installer is probably right because based on what I read the tech was more then willing to break a sweat and put a pole in but the only location was near a sidewalk, and offered standard definition as an option plus 100 year old maples are some tall trees.

I've done heard tons of excuses that installers can make up and I have a pretty good idea of how they get out of work... just didn't sound that way here.

Don't know what sats you picked up/utilized with C-Band, but I'm almost certain it wasn't 110/119/129.

Richthetech does bring up some insight....

Though as far as being hungrier, it doesn't matter what company name is on your shirt. It's the individual.

He wouldn't be breaking too much of a sweat. The corner where he wanted to put it was about 10 feet from the house.The lot on the other side of the house is 150' wide,and 200' deep.The first thing he did after getting out of his truck was to say this job would take at least 5 hours.That is running lines to 4 tvs,on the outside of the house. I know I could do it in less than 2 hours! There is about 40' in between the 2 trees he wanted cut down.
As for going with sd,that is why I wanted to dump cable,they don't offer hd. I have about 8 thousand dollars invested in hd equipment.I do have the local Radio Shack guys coming out in a couple of days.They sell,and install both Dish and Direct.
Another thing,the installer insisted he will NOT mount it on a pole.He wants it on the ground! We get a good bit of snow here,and I don't think that is a smart move.

No,I'm right. The installer insisted it would go there.I said no way.Oh,he also suggested cutting down 2 100 year old maple trees. I had C band for 15 years,guess I should have kept it.
A one acre lot and he couldn't find a suitabl;e placement for the dish other than in a place you did not want it to go?..
Ok, gotta ask, how is the tree situation on the rest of your property?

He wouldn't be breaking too much of a sweat. The corner where he wanted to put it was about 10 feet from the house.The lot on the other side of the house is 150' wide,and 200' deep.The first thing he did after getting out of his truck was to say this job would take at least 5 hours.That is running lines to 4 tvs,on the outside of the house. I know I could do it in less than 2 hours! There is about 40' in between the 2 trees he wanted cut down.
As for going with sd,that is why I wanted to dump cable,they don't offer hd. I have about 8 thousand dollars invested in hd equipment.I do have the local Radio Shack guys coming out in a couple of days.They sell,and install both Dish and Direct.
Another thing,the installer insisted he will NOT mount it on a pole.He wants it on the ground! We get a good bit of snow here,and I don't think that is a smart move.

Now that changes the ballgame..... that was all left out before.

There are trees along the street in front of my house,about 10' back from the sidewalk. There is a large maple at the far east corner,15' from the side street.Then ther is a 40' gap before the next maple(the width of my house). Then there is a row of 4 pine trees about 15' apart,then about 85' with only a lone walnut tree,which I am cutting down in the spring.It is narrow and bare,so should not be a problem for now.The lot goes back 200' with no other trees in the way til you get to the back property line.
I had the pole from the C band removed,but it looks to me the same location would work fine.It is about 35' from the house,and would have to be run underground.That seems to be to much work for the installer.I don't think it would have to go down more than a couple of inches.
I hope I can convince the guy from Radio Shack to get me Dish instead of Direct. I don't like paying $500 up front for leasing their equipment,and then anothe $15 per month for the SAME equipment.That is like $35 per month to lease equipment,on top of the programming.Plus their equipment is not that great.Even if I have to pay $500 to install an ota to get my HD locals,it would better to go with Dish.

From the way you describe your property, it sounds like you have a city lot, far cry from an acre, but there shouldn't be any reason you can get dish. You may have to be creative.

Contact a Local Retailer, They tend to be a little hungryer, and more willing to be creative. Admitedly, there are some places that just won't go, but I've seen DNSC no-go places just cause they are too overloaded and dont want to work. The dish could mostlikly work where the Cband was. Same elevation and there are pipe-mast adapters just for that.
I was going to say basically the same thing. My install was a bit complicated so I set it up through a local retailer. Three men took around three hours to complete. It cost me around $300 total in material and labor. They said that the guys Dish sends wouldn't have done it for any fee.

It is a city lot,my lot size is 205'x200'. An acre is 200'x200'! So it is a hair over an acre. The bad part is it took 5 weeks to get the install appointment in the first place. I know the local R.S. guys can get to it sooner,but getting them to do a sight test can be a real chore. I can find several places where it looks like it should work.One place would be about 35 feet out from the house,on the side of a grape arbor.It would require going underground.I think I could just dig a slit about 6" deep with a spade.If it needed to be deeper I could do that next spring.My house is the tallest structure in the area,and I am on the top of a hill.I am in S.W.Wisconsin.
One thing about getting the R.Shack guys is I want them to install a highend OTA with amp and rotor.I looked at antennaweb to check my location.I was real disappointed.Then I looked at their map,and saw they had my house at the bottom of the hill.After I placed it in the right location,my locals went from 5 channels to 17.
I figured the money I would have to pay for Directs ripoff lease would pay for the new OTA. It comes to about $660 over the 2 years.I just hope I can get this thing done soon,the local sd cable sux!

Retailer Techs dont normally make anything on sight surveys. Also to many have done the survey and then the customer goes with that info and gets the bundeld Phone service. They go out, they want to make the install, its safer that way. Trips to customers homes can be expensive if you have to go more than once.
Someone mentioned an eavemount at the peak. They work well, but can be difficult to knock the snow off in the winter. I had one customer who duct-taped pipe heat tape to the back of the dish and when it started to snow, he would plug it in.
Set up an install with a local retailer. I bet by the end of the schedualed day, you will be watching Ski-Pig on rush in HD.

It always amazes me that customers think it is so easy to do.

Hey, bud, if you really think you can do it in 2 hours, Go For It!!

Dish themselves considers your 4-room new connect a 5-hour job, so your tech was right-on for telling you that.

It likely would have taken him less time than that, but then again if your install got ugly and became a nightmare, then it could take longer.

BTW, if your field slopes down toward the Southwest with trees lining the edge of the field, the line of sight to the 129 satellite may be gone.

And if that is the case, don't blame the installer. That rests squarely on the shoulders of the big-wigs at Dish who decided to put the HD channels on our lowest-sitting satellite.

It always amazes me that customers think it is so easy to do.

Hey, bud, if you really think you can do it in 2 hours, Go For It!!

Dish themselves considers your 4-room new connect a 5-hour job, so your tech was right-on for telling you that.

It likely would have taken him less time than that, but then again if your install got ugly and became a nightmare, then it could take longer.

BTW, if your field slopes down toward the Southwest with trees lining the edge of the field, the line of sight to the 129 satellite may be gone.

And if that is the case, don't blame the installer. That rests squarely on the shoulders of the big-wigs at Dish who decided to put the HD channels on our lowest-sitting satellite.

148 sits lower. At least from where you are.

Problem I don't know what to do about!!!!!!

dish store deals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)