Tom Cruise’s son to star in ‘Red Dawn’ remake

It's just a movie! I watch movies for the entertainment, not to pick apart. ;) I'll watch ...
I agree. Looks like your typical action movie. Should provide a decent enough distraction, and Ill probably give it a look.

It's just a movie! I watch movies for the entertainment, not to pick apart. ;) I'll watch ...
I agree... but to a point.

If the premise of specific action in a movie stretches credibility to the breaking point, then picking a movie apart is a hobby. If something is presented as fantasy, I can swallow just about anything. But if the tone is set to be a plausible event in our current reality, then the bar is much higher.

Aliens from outer space: just about anything is okay by me.
Invasion from another superpower: has to conform to the higher standard.

The term is suspension of disbelief. I need to be able to believe that such a scenario is possible, or I am going to be picking it apart. I also need to see at least some plot to stitch the action sequences together. That has been one of my big complaints about many recent action movies.

And not just that, but a ragtag group of young adults helps take America back! Not the national guard or the cops or any of our allies, but these young scrappers.. *BLECH* Like I said, it's basically like they made a movie of the game Homefront, but at least that was SLIGHTLY more believable as in that story, the Koreas re-united after the death of Kim Jong Il and that's how they united and rose to power by conquering other territories before USA.

They're trying to release this in Korea also, and they're trying to do it by replacing all the North Korean flags and such with ones from China. I'm sure that people from China will LOVE the idea that Hollywood thinks that all Asian races are interchangeable and that they feel they can be swapped with the craziest of the bunch.

I'd argue you'd have more fun watching people play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 than watching this.

Acutally the movie started out with the invasion being from the chinese. It was later changed to North Korea.

It's also weird that one of the main characters is the guy who played Thor. He uses that same voice in this as he does in Thor so often I see ads for this and I half expect him to call the other Avengers or at least raise his hammer and just electrocute all the PRK.

Red Dawn (1984) was certainly no award winning film, but it was interesting for members on the tail-end of my generation simply because of the cast of sprouting actors: Patrick Swayze, Lea Thompson, Charlie Sheen, Jennifer Grey, et al. I have no idea why the Hollywood powers would wish to lay and egg by remaking a film that was not worthly of remaking. Oh, never mind...the script was already written, I suppose.

I watched Red Dawn last night. If you want to completely ignore the plot holes it is not too bad a movie. They seemed to have a lot of good action and stunt work, but it was really hard to tell since they tended to use the jerky camera work to hide all the hard effort. The acting was wooden.

Did I enjoy the movie? Yes, I was entertained as I was amazed over and over again by the plot holes. It is almost so bad that it is good.

Would I see it again? No

Would I recommend it? Generally No, but to a very narrow audience perhaps. My 15 year old nephew liked it, it was like a real life modern warfare.

So, I guess the target audience is teen age video gamers that think it is entirely plausible that a metropolitan area of around 3 million people could be rescued by a few teens using modern warfare tactics. No one outside of the few teens that escaped into the surrounding woods would fight for their homes, and yet after seeing the heroic acts of bravery perhaps a few more would volunteer to join the "resistance".

The premise is that the west coast was invaded by a North Korean led force of Asian powers, and the East coast was invaded by Russian led forces. The middle of the country was essentially still the US. Yet the middle of the country was only able to muster up 3 retired marines to help 3/4 of the way through the movie? No one had any guns in Seattle to fight back with? They had to kill the invaders to salvage their weapons? The group of teens is able to move in and out of the city at will, but the rest of the population is stuck? Where do these plot holes end?

I watched Red Dawn last night. If you want to completely ignore the plot holes it is not too bad a movie. They seemed to have a lot of good action and stunt work, but it was really hard to tell since they tended to use the jerky camera work to hide all the hard effort. The acting was wooden.

Did I enjoy the movie? Yes, I was entertained as I was amazed over and over again by the plot holes. It is almost so bad that it is good.

Would I see it again? No

Would I recommend it? Generally No, but to a very narrow audience perhaps. My 15 year old nephew liked it, it was like a real life modern warfare.

So, I guess the target audience is teen age video gamers that think it is entirely plausible that a metropolitan area of around 3 million people could be rescued by a few teens using modern warfare tactics. No one outside of the few teens that escaped into the surrounding woods would fight for their homes, and yet after seeing the heroic acts of bravery perhaps a few more would volunteer to join the "resistance".

The premise is that the west coast was invaded by a North Korean led force of Asian powers, and the East coast was invaded by Russian led forces. The middle of the country was essentially still the US. Yet the middle of the country was only able to muster up 3 retired marines to help 3/4 of the way through the movie? No one had any guns in Seattle to fight back with? They had to kill the invaders to salvage their weapons? The group of teens is able to move in and out of the city at will, but the rest of the population is stuck? Where do these plot holes end?
So he sucks like his dad. :rolleyes:

I'll wait for it to pop up on the net.... OOOO I meant red box. :eek::rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts