too good to be true?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

goresnet

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
My grandparents just had someone knock on their door today, offering the HR22-100 tivo receiver, hd programming and hbo, showtime, stars, for $45 per month for 12 months. The hd and premiums are free for 3 months, and supposedly they'll have a $23 credit for the 12 months. They were already directv customers. The guy said that this deal and equipment won't be available until next year.

He also said that Directv and Dish have merged, but it's not public yet.

My grandparents just had someone knock on their door today, offering the HR22-100 tivo receiver, hd programming and hbo, showtime, stars, for $45 per month for 12 months. The hd and premiums are free for 3 months, and supposedly they'll have a $23 credit for the 12 months. They were already directv customers. The guy said that this deal and equipment won't be available until next year.

Tell your grandparents the guy is a scammer.

sounded exactly like a car dealer to me. He knew just enough to sound informed, but smiled way too much! But the deal looks like what direct is offering on their website. When I got there to talk to them, first thing I did was jump on here to see if there were any post relating to this, then I went to the directv site. $23 off, free hd dvr equipment. But then, no mention of Tivo. Scared him away!

DTV will ding their retailers for telemarketing .............I gotta think they dropped door to door.

Junkie car dealer!

Joe

It's a scam
Have your grandparents call the police and give a description of this crook

Why is it a scam? Did you check his credentials? Some areas require a peddlers permit to sell door to door. If so, police would already know who they. I work for a retailer that does sales with similar promotions. Salespeople are not installers. If they were given bad info. How would they know the difference? Call D* and verify company and promotion, give the guy a sale so he can feed whatever.

Is it possible "Tivo" was used as a generic term instead of DVR? Tivo has become synonymous with DVR just as Kleenex is the generic term for disposable tissues and Xerox is the generic term for photostatic copier and Google has itself become a verb in modern lexicon.

No It is true BUT it is a TIVIO HD XL.. I just seen it in the new "Popular Mechanic" issue January 2009.. Page 26. It is going to have a 1TB hard drive, THX-Certified. TiVo HD XL also boasts dual tuners so users can record two different HD shows at the same time, while watching a third pre-recorded show.

TiVo also announced it has collaborated with DirecTV to offer the new HD DirecTV DVR.
The "non-exclusive agreement" will offer a version of TiVo's HD service specifically designed for DirecTV subscribers.
You can see this at- http://www.cepro.com/article/tivo_launches_hd_xl_dvr_teams_up_with_directv/

If this happens it will really ROCK!!!!!! I got to start saving my pennies.....

The TiVo HD XL unit has nothing to do with DirecTV. It's TiVo's new standalone HD DVR. The new TiVo/D* cooperation is now old news, but that unit isn't yet available either. The two announcements in that link are about separate products.

Yep. Between my 622 and 722 I can record 6 things at once while watching 4 pre-recorded events.

and i believe the new 922s due for 09 will record 4 things at once while watching a recording, sweet!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts