Too many timers/events? Marriage on the rocks?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

MichaelJK

Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
Hello,

I am new to this forum and Dish - came from Directv (after 3 years), using the Tivo

Just got the new VIP 622 and I am really liking it and the picture quality.

But I am having problems with setting up timers.

I have 30 timers and the 622 is telling me I have too many - how can this be? I have only had this box for 4 days? I have only 25 shows recorded at this moment. My timers are set for "new only", so I am not recording mulitple repeats.

I have some prime time, kids, and various cable shows on the timer.

I never had the problem with Tivo and their season pass feature (I had 65+ season passes). (I miss Tivo!)

My wife get's mad that we have to look through the timers for something to take off - but we want all the timers - so we have to "sacrifice" recording a show because of some limit on the dish box?

Is it only me that this is happening to? Help!

Thanks for the quick reply.

It's not telling me that there is a conflict - it's telling me that I have exceeded the number of timer events, please delete some timers.

Maybe you are trying to catch all episodes of something on all channels and generating too many events. If you were to pick something like "Friends" off of all channels, you could get 100+ episodes a day. Perhaps that is what you are seeing?

Push the DVR button 2x then pick schedule and see what it wants to record. Perhaps you are getting a ton of the same show.

MichaelJK said:
I have 30 timers and the 622 is telling me I have too many

I used to have that problem all the time on my 522. I could usually work around it by rebooting the unit. I don't know if this will work on the 622, but I think it's worth a shot.

Couldn't hurt to give customer service a call. Probably won't help, but it couldn't hurt.

Steve

I looked more in to this and saw that I have 32 timers and 288 events. There are mostly duplicate or skipped events (kids shows that show many times during the day or cable shows on VH1, MTV, E! and Food Network that also repeat many times), rather than actual recordings.

I looked at another forum and seems to be a limit of events as 288 - but the not new/duplicates/non-recording events are counted as an event. When I click the "hide skipped" on the event screen my events go down to 85, so 70% of the 288 limit is taken up by duplicated/skipped events. This seems really odd to limit the events by adding in skipped recordings???

MichaelJK said:
I looked more in to this and saw that I have 32 timers and 288 events. There are mostly duplicate or skipped events (kids shows that show many times during the day or cable shows on VH1, MTV, E! and Food Network that also repeat many times), rather than actual recordings.
I looked at another forum and seems to be a limit of events as 288 - but the not new/duplicates/non-recording events are counted as an event. When I click the "hide skipped" on the event screen my events go down to 85, so 70% of the 288 limit is taken up by duplicated/skipped events. This seems really odd to limit the events by adding in skipped recordings???

Wow! When do you find the time to watch all of these? I've only got about 5 hours worth of shows that have been sitting on my 625 for 2 months and still can't find the time to watch them!

Weezknight said:
Wow! When do you find the time to watch all of these? I've only got about 5 hours worth of shows that have been sitting on my 625 for 2 months and still can't find the time to watch them!

Mostly kids shows, the box is set up to only keep 5 at a time, so we always have "fresh" shows for my daughter. The kids channels show these about 3-4 times a day, so the events add up!

Are you doing Dish passes for all your episodes, or are you doing timers?
TImers is what you most likely want to do when you want to record a TV series, as it gives you the option of recording all episodes, new, once, mon-fri, and something else.

It sounds to my like you might be doing Dish passes instead of timers, which most of the time you don't want to do.

Had this problem on the 522 when I set a Dish pass for Modern Marvels. At one point it was coming on 80 times a week which brought my events to climb to 462.

My DVR started to freeze after that until I got rid of the Modern Marvels Dish Pass.

RobertsD said:
Are you doing Dish passes for all your episodes, or are you doing timers?
TImers is what you most likely want to do when you want to record a TV series, as it gives you the option of recording all episodes, new, once, mon-fri, and something else.

It sounds to my like you might be doing Dish passes instead of timers, which most of the time you don't want to do.

I set them as all timers - I don't have any dish passes. My timers are set to "new". But the event list still shows the repeats as one event but skips the recording. Therefore, it doesn't matter what I set it up as "all" or "new", each showing counts as an event. A real pain!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts