Tools

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BKP

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
Vacationland, USA
Other then the usual every day tools what tools make a satellite system setup go smoother... Motorized, Multidish and Multifeed systems...

Non professional inexpensive DIY type tools..

Also, with just a compass can you get a good idea of your LOS.. And where your dish should go...

Thanks, BK

A print out of Satellite Finder, sighting compass and angle or pitch finder for LOS site check of your dish mounting location, post level for plumbing the mast, small tv connected to the satellite receiver beside the dish for aiming with the receiver's built-in signal and quality meter.

Last edited:
F Connector crimper (good quality), Wire Stripper (coax- good quality) and my favorite - looks like a screw driver, but on one end an f connector attaches to it and on the other is like a wrench/socket for the f connector. It is priceless for butting on your own f connections!

I also used a "corner post level" for my pole install. It levels in two directions at once and straps right onto the pole with a rubber band. Real handy and only $5.

Anyone know where to get one of those focal finder tools for aiming the feedhorn on a BUD for a reasonable price?
It's the gizzmo that fits over the end of the feedhorn and has either a telescoping pointer or a laser to center in the dish.
Looked on eBay w/o any results. Maybe there's an easy way to make one?

For the F-connector installation, I prefer the compression fittings and tool. Compression fittings form a perfect 360 degree "seal" around the cable/fitting, and are stronger than crimp connectors. The Digicons and PPC EX6's also do a very good job of keeping moisture out of the fitting.

A cheap compression tool by Zenith can be found at Lowe's for less than $15 :)

I think the cost of a compression tool and fittings is well worth the cost, along with RG6 stripper. It makes the job faster than crimping for me and You never second guess if the connector is good.

That printout will be handy, especially if it's got elevation and skew on it too, manual(s) - if you are doing motorized, Socket Set that has a lock on it so that you won't be dropping sockets all over the place as you look for the right size... a screwdriver on occassion - a drill with a screw driver bit, a drill bit, possibly a tool apron or some other piece of clothing with lots of pockets... electric tape, tar (if you are going on the roof), dielectric grease, sillicone, mini-level (to get plumb) - small is good so that way it's not too awkward, and you can check the bubble both n/s e/w, and nw/es, etc. - you can get em cheap at wal-mart,

printout of the lyngsat main page for your area - so that you can organize satellites either in the receiver or in channel master by east to west or vice versa. Zip ties are handy. Also handy is thin weed wacker tie stuff... you can tie it to the lnb and to any holes in your dish, etc. and use that to help get the lnb lined up just a smidge without actually moving a bolt...

PATIENCE is the biggest tool to have... Also, several hours of sunrise or sunset on a day you don't have to work is helpful... It sucks these days to be on the roof litterally burning your butt off working on this stuff like I just did.

Also, duct tape could come in handy. At the moment, I've got some duct tape in a big ball sitting between the dish's arm and the invacom lnb to hold the lnb in place along with some zip ties and the weed wacker stuff. That quad lnb from invacom is pretty darn heavy and does not like to stay where it should because of gravity...

N0QBH said:
Anyone know where to get one of those focal finder tools for aiming the feedhorn on a BUD for a reasonable price?
It's the gizzmo that fits over the end of the feedhorn and has either a telescoping pointer or a laser to center in the dish.
Looked on eBay w/o any results. Maybe there's an easy way to make one?

I use a $20 level from one of the home improvement stores. It has a laser pointer built-in. Lay the level across the throat and center the laser on the feedhorn. Adjust the feedhorn in the mount to center the laser beam on the center point of the primefeed dish in multiple directions.

Laser square

SatelliteAV said:
I use a $20 level from one of the home improvement stores. It has a laser pointer built-in. Lay the level across the throat and center the laser on the feedhorn. Adjust the feedhorn in the mount to center the laser beam on the center point of the primefeed dish in multiple directions.

Found this item doing a search on the web.
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/TMS-WHOLESALE/items/item.aspx?itemid=2237512

Is this what you had in mind?

Mike

iafirebuff said:
and my favorite - looks like a screw driver, but on one end an f connector attaches to it and on the other is like a wrench/socket for the f connector. It is priceless for butting on your own f connections!

Larry, I'm a little confused on this one...

Tron said:
For the F-connector installation, I prefer the compression fittings and tool. Compression fittings form a perfect 360 degree "seal" around the cable/fitting, and are stronger than crimp connectors. The Digicons and PPC EX6's also do a very good job of keeping moisture out of the fitting.

A cheap compression tool by Zenith can be found at Lowe's for less than $15 :)

I'm glad I started this thread... I was just gonna go for crimpers not knowing any different or what compression fittings even were..

Is a coaxial cutter necessary or just easier.. I saw some kits on Sadoun..

Where is a good on-line source for all these tools mentioned in this thread..

SatelliteAV said:
sighting compass and angle or pitch finder for LOS site check of your dish mounting location

This is what I really need to get right now but, are there inexpensive ones.. If so, could someone point me in the right direction.. Although, I'm sure I'm good on the LOS issue.. Where to put a dish is another story and because I have a few dead trees around my yard it could make a big difference..

The print out at hand sounds like a great idea..

here is a bargain for a sat meter,

NO........ this is not mine, i saw it and passing it on EBAY #

they usually go for 300-400

I agree on the compression F connectors and a coax stripper. I used to hate stripping coax and eventually the crimp connectors would get loose. I got a little stripper (the type you spin on your finger) and the Zenith compression crimper. I've been using Thomas & Betts snap 'n seal connectors with very good results.

The stripper and compression crimper weren't that expensive, I got them on e-bay along with the connectors. The Zenith crimper isn't real heavy-duty but it should be fine, unless you're installing coax for a living.

Zip ties are also a necessity... the local hardware store had 1000 on sale. Hope that's enough!

A little 9" black and white TV has also been very handy when making adjustments to the dish.

BKP said:
I'm glad I started this thread... I was just gonna go for crimpers not knowing any different or what compression fittings even were..

Is a coaxial cutter necessary or just easier.. I saw some kits on Sadoun..

Where is a good on-line source for all these tools mentioned in this thread..
Compression fittings are now used by Dish, Direct, and most (if not all) cable TV operators. They work very well and look professional.

As for coax cutters, they preserve the "roundness" of the cable at the cut, but since you're going to be stripping back half an inch of insulation anyway for the fitting, they're not necessary. I use ordinary wire cutters.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)