Top 120, 120 plus vs top 200

Given the expense of DVD recorders and the clumsy way most of them operate, it is surely easier to go with what you know.

Contrary to the HD snobs of the world, some people still watch for content. Either that or they are such incredible tightwads that they'll step over dollars to pick up dimes.

Considering that HD is now the standard for most ota broadcasts, HD lovers are far from snobs. They're people who just want to keep up with the times. And anyone who has problems with a dvr should drop a service that still uses those crappy boxes from Motorola and SA and join this decade.

My wife hates any kind of change, yet is an expert using our 722K and Tivo Premiere, if she can use them effortlessly, then anyone can. It takes a "special" person who can't operate a modern dvr.

The people on this site care a lot more about TV and pay a lot more attention to the industry. The average customer has no idea what they have they just want to be able to watch TV. Most just want the basics as long as it has the channels they watch the most. This may blow your mind but we still have people sign up for Dish and do not want a DVR. :eek:

I am a NON- Dvr customer. I am not even an HD subscriber. I have a dish 1000.2 WA and dual tuner 322 with a modulator added to TV1.

I have no desire to pay any extra for HD access.
I have no desire to pay a Dvr fee.
I get HD on c band free to air and my local tv antenna.

Forgive the ignorance this question might suggest, but do the locals come in at a higher quality OTA? Obviously you can't use PTAT to record them. I've just been noticing a lot of compression artifacts since we switched to Dish, and wasn't sure if that was due to the locals coming down the same pipe (if that's even a proper way to describe it)...

Forgive the ignorance this question might suggest, but do the locals come in at a higher quality OTA? Obviously you can't use PTAT to record them. I've just been noticing a lot of compression artifacts since we switched to Dish, and wasn't sure if that was due to the locals coming down the same pipe (if that's even a proper way to describe it)...

The highest PQ can be OTA if the station does it properly. And of course Blu-ray discs, done properly, can be the highest PQ and AQ.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Forgive the ignorance this question might suggest, but do the locals come in at a higher quality OTA? Obviously you can't use PTAT to record them.

No, BUT, they will AutoHop if PTAT is enabled

Getting your local OTA will always be higher quality that the feed provided to you by Dish or DirecTV unless they have a special arrangement to get an uncompressed source. They recompress them from the original MPEG2 to MPEG4, so the difference isn't usually a big one, but you can tell the difference if you try. If your local channel looks terrible on a satellite service then it will likely look terrible OTA too.

Most times no matter how much I try I can see virtually no difference. BUT - there are times you can see it if you get close to the large screen TV with difference in the face. It will look just a little "Blocky." At viewing distance not really seen. Now that's in Ct. and Tampa. Could be different where someone else is.

do these people use a VCR then?

Skipping the DVR, in my case, years ago, was is a situation where I was concerned about paying an extra $6, $8, $10 a month for the equipment indefinitely. Things are always pretty tight for me financially, and can get really tight. I had canceled cable weeks before with the idea of not replacing it because I just couldn't afford it anymore. Only got Dish reluctantly because of their very low first year prices and because I found myself very frustrated and somewhat depressed without television and Internet (Maybe a sad commentary on me, but apparently those things are important to me). So I wanted to figure out what the bare minimum I'd be happy paying for was, and it was MSNBC and the local pro and college sports. DVR didn't seem like a requirement. I would have happily taken the free HD for life, but they wouldn't give me HD equipment without a huge surcharge.

Going on my third year with Dish, I kind of wish I would have taken the DVR for no extra setup charge. I find I've sort of moved beyond appointment type viewing for scripted television programs and wind up catching them much later via Netflix DVD. I'd rather DVR them and drop Netflix (I guess I'd need some time with both to catch up on shows I'm behind on). Would actually save me money, even if I had to Redbox movies occasionally or rent them streaming or something and factored that in. But it was a different calculation at the time. And I'd still worry about being roped into "You've got the equipment, it'll cost you to send it back for something else". The prices are already too high for me. If I were to go back to cable at some point and a DVR were part of the package with a low introductory rate, I'd say yes, and then evaluate whether to keep it or not when regular prices hit, knowing I could go to a cable company office and exchange boxes if I needed to without a surcharge.

If the DVR were still being offered with no extra monthly service fee whatsoever by Dish, as I'm told was the case some years ago, I'd have taken it and been very excited about it! I remember reading the early reviews of Tivo when it came out and saying "I need one of those!". It's a money thing, not an aversion to technology thing, in my case. I'll bet that's what's going on with installs turning down DVR in many cases. Dish goes after customers who are looking for low prices, and get people who don't want to pay a monthy DVR fee. Kind of predictable when you think about it that way. They are marketing to a group that is going to be reluctant to pay for anything that might be considered a frill (Whether because they're poor, or because they're thrifty, or whatever).

I actually do have a VCR, but not for recording (I'm not even sure one could do that with Dish and use it- you could run cord from the box to the VCR to the TV, but can the VCR record one channel while you watch another? Wouldn't you have to leave the receiver on and set to the right channel? Plus, my TV gets it's Dish signal through three multicolor imputs that provide better signal quality than coaxial cable run from the box to the VCR to the TV would, I'd imagine.). It's gathering dust in the corner of the room for the occasions when I pull out my old VCR tapes from when I was a kid.

Last edited:
I should have put a winky at the end of my VCR comment.....I was being sarcastic

I know at work we sell a DVD player/VCR in the catalog and we've sold a bunch of them latelly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts