Top 50 baseball Free Agents where will they end up?

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
According to ESPN these are the top 10 free agents out of a list of 50.

1. Carlos Beltran ---> NYY
2. Adrian Beltre ---> LA
3. Roger Clemens ---> Houston
4. Edgar Renteria ---> Chicago Cubs
5. Pedro Martinez ---> Boston
6. Carlos Delgado ---> Florida
7. Magglio Ordonez ---> NY Mets
8. Jason Varitek ---> Boston
9. Carl Pavano ---> Baltimore
10. Richie Sexson --> Seattle

You may the call...

I'm hoping to see the Tigers make a big play for Pavano, Russ Ortiz, or Matt Clement. And Corey Koskie would be nice, too.

Good bye Indians...

Source

Omar Vizquel agreed to a $12.25 million, three-year contract, a person close to the negotiations told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity

San Francisco signed Deivi Cruz, the Giants' primary shortstop last season, to an $800,000, one-year contract earlier this month, but general manager Brian Sabean made it clear he was looking for a long-term solution in the position -- and told Cruz that, too.

Sosa to NY Mets? Piazza to Anahein (or LA :confused: ) Angels.

TheTimm said:
I'm hoping to see the Tigers make a big play for Pavano, Russ Ortiz, or Matt Clement. And Corey Koskie would be nice, too.

Amen The Timm.
Any move will help, they are not as bad as it may seem.
Like the 79' Tigers I hope.

Whoever gets Beltran will immediately improve their offense. That guy is a quality player. You guys who are Tigers fans have had some lean years lately, but they are really not that bad. On the other hand, the Rockies were never very good, and continue to be mediocre at best. I used to think that strong offense was better than having good pitching, but that is not true in today's game. Still--the salaries of today's players boggles my mind.

After I graduated from high school, I was offered a signing bonus of $3500 (NOT a misprint) to sign with the Phillies. That was in 1969. Some of today's players probably leave tips bigger than that.

I hope the Rangers can get some decent starting pitching. If they do that, provided they keep their powerhouse infield intact, they will be dangerous in 2005.

PERRRR-CIIIII-VALLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DETROIT!!!!!

YESSSSSSSSS!!! WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope Beltran stays with the Astros i am a Astro Fan and he was Awesome down the Stretch. :D

Good move on Detroit to get Percival. I heard on the Radio that Urbina is back in his country because one of his family member was kinapped

Sean Mota said:
I heard on the Radio that Urbina is back in his country because one of his family member was kinapped
Yeah, his mother. Apparently it's not all that uncommon there (Venezuela?). Everyone knows who the family members of the rich are and figure it's easy money. Last I heard they had lowered their ransom demands -- almost sounds like they're negotiating :confused: . On a somewhat related note, now that Mr. Percival is coming to town the Tigers'll probably look to trade Urbina.

Yes,his mother was,they think it was a inside job with one of help(house or grounds) involved.

Source

The Washington-bound Expos were busy Tuesday, agreeing to terms with third baseman Vinny Castilla on a two-year, $6.2 million deal and shortstop Cristian Guzman on a four-year, $16.8 million deal.

Phillies re-sign right-hander Lidle

Robinson will be back in 2005
Skipper agrees to manage Expos next season

Jason Varitek
Varitek reiterated to reporters at a public speaking
function Tuesday night that his preference is still to stay
with the Red Sox. Varitek said that he has been directly
involved in phone conversations with the team and that
communication was going well at this point. His top priority
is long-term security. The All-Star catcher batted a
career-high .296 with 18 home runs and 73 RBIs for the
world champion Red Sox.

Jeff Kent
Tigers president and GM Dave Dombrowski confirmed that he
met with Kent and his agent on Monday at Comerica Park.
Kent is the type of power hitter the Tigers are looking to
add to an already potent lineup, though he could cause a
position shift since Detroit already has young Omar Infante
at second base. Kent has an offer on the table from the
Astros, his team for the past two seasons. The second
baseman batted .289 with 27 homers and 107 RBIs in 2004.

3 OF A KIND" -- Insider Trivia

What do these three former Major Leaguers all have in common?
(Hint: Moving in together)

1. Don Baylor
2. Joe Rudi
3. Bobby Grich

Benson, Mets close to deal

Pedro to the Mets?

Mets deliver Pedro's pitch

Source

BY ADAM RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Coming off a world championship, Pedro Martinez has to decide where he wants to wind up.

Pedro Martinez now has leverage in his dealings with the Red Sox. The Mets offered the free-agent righthander a guaranteed three-year contract, a baseball official said yesterday. Boston brass has been unwilling to guarantee anything to Martinez beyond two years.
The Mets' offer is believed to average roughly $12.5 million a season.

Mets spokesman Jay Horwitz said GM Omar Minaya would have no comment on any free agent dealings this week.

Martinez's agent, Fern Cuza, similarly declined comment. Minaya tried having a hush-hush dinner with Martinez on Thanksgiving night in the Dominican Republic, but word leaked out.

Martinez met with George Steinbrenner in Tampa earlier this month, and subsequently dined with Alex Rodriguez in Miami. It's widely believed that flirtation mostly had to do with driving up the price tag for the Red Sox to re-sign Martinez. In the Mets' case, there appears to be genuine interest from the organization, with Minaya seemingly determined to make a splash this winter. Whether the interest is mutual or a negotiating ploy by Martinez with the Red Sox isn't clear.

The Mets ultimately may be willing to guarantee 2008 money, the kind of overwhelming offer it might take to lure Martinez from the Red Sox, even if it further disrupts baseball's salary structure. Boston reportedly has offered a two-year, $25.5 million contract with a vesting option for 2007, which would kick in if Martinez remains healthy.

In Flushing, Martinez would anchor what quickly would become one of the NL's top rotations, joining Kris Benson, Tom Glavine, Victor Zambrano and Steve Trachsel. The wisdom of a three- or four-year contract is debatable, given red flags with the 33-year-old Martinez, including losing 5 mph off his fastball. Still, the three-time Cy Young Award winner was ranked ninth in the AL in ERA (3.90) last season, sixth in wins (16), third in fewest hits allowed per innings (8.0), second in strikeouts (227) and sixth in innings (217).

Martinez made $17.5 million in 2004, in the final season of a seven-year, $90 million contract. Boston figures to need a resolution before next Tuesday's deadline, when it seemingly must decline arbitration to the ace and give up negotiating rights. The Red Sox could delay the cutoff date for two weeks by offering arbitration to Martinez with a handshake agreement that he would later decline. Regardless, the Mets appear prepared to forfeit a draft pick to sign Martinez if necessary. The Mets have the ninth overall pick in '05. Teams drafting in the top 15 aren't required to surrender their first-round pick, even to sign a Type A free agent like Martinez, but they would relinquish a second-round spot.

Say it ain't so, Barry...

Well. Looks like Greg Anderson may be a free agent soon (it sure looks like steroid-filled Barry Bonds is gonna go ahead and try to blame the personal trainer). Talk about a guy that could turn a team around! :D He may be the best cheater ever!

Sean Mota said:
According to ESPN these are the top 10 free agents out of a list of 50.

1. Carlos Beltran ---> NYY
2. Adrian Beltre ---> LA
3. Roger Clemens ---> Houston
4. Edgar Renteria ---> Chicago Cubs
5. Pedro Martinez ---> Boston
6. Carlos Delgado ---> Florida
7. Magglio Ordonez ---> NY Mets
8. Jason Varitek ---> Boston
9. Carl Pavano ---> Baltimore
10. Richie Sexson --> Seattle

You may the call...

So far: Pedro Martinez signed with the Mets (pending physical); Carl Pavano signed with the Yankees; So far ESPN has been right on Richie Sexson only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)