Toshiba FW 2.0 released today?

Nope. Just checked as well. Still 1.4.

I just added a question mark to the title. Hope, landlocked doesn't mind. :)

Well, still no official release yet. But someone (perhaps a beta-tester?) posted 2.0 firmware on the Internet:
rapidshare.de/files/30453167/2.0firmware.nrg.html
The version number is: 2.0/1.0A/2.0S

I am not brave enough to try it. I think I'll wait for the official release. ;)

Update 08/25/06: No need to use this bootleg version any more!
Official version 2.0 is now released and can be downloaded to the player directly.
See the following thread for details: Toshiba firmware 2.0 Release notes

Reports from AVS are IT WORKS. It gives you TrueHD 5.1 and fixes the 720p image problem. You download the file, burn as ISO in Nero and boot with it.

John Kotches said:
This is not a formal release. My guess is that it is a leaked beta version.

Regards,

Throwing all my usual caution into the wind, I downloaded & updated with the file on rapidshare.de. Of course it can't be the "official release", or it wouldn't be posted on a German file-sharing site. But, as I have the 1.4 firmware from Tosh on disk, I had something to roll back to (hopefully :rolleyes: ) if something went wrong.

My XA1 does say FW version 2.0/1.0A/2.0S. And I do now have TrueHD 5.1. I tried Constantine & Phantom of the Opera. Before, when I would select TrueHD 5.1 on the disc menu, I would get a warning that I didn't have the right hardware, but then it would play it, but only in 2 ch. stereo. Now there's no warning when you select TrueHD 5.1, and it does play all the speakers on my 5.1 surround sound system. Constantine sounded pretty sweet. I played the night scene where he's coming out of a convenience store & is attacked by a swarm of locusts. Much richer sound, more use of the rear speakers. You do have to turn up the volume on the receiver - higher than DD+, much higher than using the digital audio connection. (I'm using 5.1 analog cables for HD DVD & Digital Optical for standard DVD's). The TrueHD sounded a little better than DD+ on Phantom, but I only played the scene where the girl sings her first solo on the stage.

I tried changing the resolution down to 720p. It looked a little better, but I've only used 720p briefly before to test it; I have a 1080i display.

No other differences noticed, but I've never had any issues with my XA1. Good to see Toshiba is hard at work supporting their players and improving the format. :up

Great to hear that! Missing TrueHD 5.1 support was my biggest complaint with this player. I am so glad this is fixed now!

I did the unofficial update. Can confirm Truehd. Using TrueHd through the 5.1 it was about 10db lower than DD+ with Phantom. I really couldn't tell much difference, but I only listened to a little. Start up time seemed to be the same.

About the audio level difference...

Are you guys using analog5.1 or LPCM through HDMI? Just curious.

Willing to bet that this maybe an issue because its still a beta. Would be hard to believe that this wouldn't get noticed and adjusted in the real release. Especially since toshiba has been so good about fw updates.

teamerickson said:
Using TrueHd through the 5.1 it was about 10db lower than DD+ with Phantom.
I assume this is just a difference between 5.1 input and digital input. Not specific to TrueHD, correct?

Ilya said:
I assume this is just a difference between 5.1 input and digital input. Not specific to TrueHD, correct?

I was talking about the volume difference between DD+ and TrueHD 5.1, using the 5.1 analog for both. 10dB sounds about right to me. When you switch from DD+ to TrueHD you definitely need to crank the volume up some. Not a problem; I probably have my 600 watt receiver cranked up to half max volume, and their's no distortion. I'm no audio expert; I dunno - maybe alot more audio data needs more power to spread it all around 6 speakers?

Ilya said:
Through the analog (5.1) TrueHd has lower volume. It also has lower volume when I switch between TrueHd and DD+ through the coax connection. No biggie. My Sony reciever interprets the digital bitstream as DTS. Should I be using PCM?

teamerickson said:
My Sony reciever interprets the digital bitstream as DTS. Should I be using PCM?
No, PCM will be 2-channel only. Unless your receiver accepts HDMI, the 5.1 analog will be your best choice.

beatboy77 said:
My sources tell me the official release of FW 2.0 will be next Tuesday, 08/29/06.

~Josh
Great! I wonder if it will be the same version (2.0/1.0A/2.0S) or something different?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)