Toshiba HD-A1 a disgrace.

One thing I don't understand is why people are making such a big deal about the remote that comes with the player. As if they are going to use it. ;)
Aren't most of us switching to universal remotes anyway? If the player's remote cannot control the volume on the AV receiver it's useless anyway. It really doesn't matter how convenient the buttons are or whether it is backlit or not. In any case, it goes to the drawer with all other remotes and gets replaced with a Harmony, or something like that.

bruce said:
You don't own one, I do,

OK IM sorry that makes the machine flawless. It appears that you owners are reviewing the quality of the video NOT the quality of the machine. No one is debating the quality of the video.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ilya said:
One thing I don't understand is why people are making such a big deal about the remote that comes with the player. As if they are going to use it. ;)
Aren't most of us switching to universal remotes anyway? If the player's remote cannot control the volume on the AV receiver it's useless anyway. It really doesn't matter how convenient the buttons are or whether it is backlit or not. In any case, it goes to the drawer with all other remotes and gets replaced with a Harmony, or something like that.

This remote cant be programmed to control volume? Ive never owned a remote in the last 5 years that couldnt do that besides my LP2, but it wasnt 500 big ones. Further proof that this is incomplete. :rolleyes: Is it true the machine locks up if you fast forward or cant reverse? Doesnt go back from where you stopped playing from? starts back at the beginning of the disk. If you switch back to TV input for a second you have to reboot? Its amazing no one sees any of this as a problem?

Last edited:
vurbano said:
OK IM sorry that makes the machine flawless. It appears that you owners are reviewing the quality of the video NOT the quality of the machine. :rolleyes:
I really think that most of the problems (While watching HD DVD) stem from the disc itself. I don't think the disc manufactures have it quite figured out yet. At least that's what I'm hoping. I do think that the quality of the video is the most important feature.

vurbano said:
Is it true the machine locks up if you fast forward or cant reverse?
Had it happen a few times. Not all the time as your quote would suggest.
vurbano said:
Doesnt go back from where you stopped playing from? starts back at the beginning of the disk.
I thought with the Universal discs you could resume play? Could be wrong on that.
vurbano said:
If you switch back to TV input for a second you have to reboot?
Never had to reboot, just change the input back. Sure there are a few problems, but I think you can tell the people that have these machines can live with that for the great picture quality and sound.

vurbano said:
Is it true the machine locks up if you fast forward or cant reverse? Doesnt go back from where you stopped playing from? starts back at the beginning of the disk. If you switch back to TV input for a second you have to reboot? Its amazing no one sees any of this as a problem?
vurbano, as I posted in another thread, HDMI lockup problems seem to be specific to particular TV brands. I am having none! I can switch video inputs without any problems. Reverse and fast forward works fine for me. So far I had only one lockup, that could not be attributed to a scratched disc I got from NetFlix. I get more lockups with my 622 DVR. ;)

I do see the problems with this unit, but for me they are not as dramatic as the author of the above article presents them. The sluggish response doesn't bother me that much. I am willing to live with this. For me, the benefits outweigh the shortcomings. But everyone has his/her own scale of priorities. I am not advising anyone one way or another.

<<<an error message showed up on the front of the player: "HDMI Error D" The only way to fix it was to unplug the HDMI cables and plug them back in again -- even a restart of the player didn't work.This sort of foolishness is simply unacceptable in a consumer electronics device.>>>

The ONLY way? Try opening & closing the drawer. I did this once and it was fine.

Yes, I have compared a few of them...

bruce said:
Have you compared it then?

I have the Panasonic 82 DVD player which was considered one of the best up-converting players out there, it beats it.

I have the Zenith 318, it is one of the few players that up-converts to 1080i via component, the Toshiba beats it ( via HDMI, the Zenith I used my DVI output ), the Zenith looks great via component but via DVI it had a White crush problem.

There is a poll at AVS that shows that 369 folks that gave it a thumbs up and 42 gave it a thumbs down, 4 ( so far ) of the thumbs down folks who voted have been proven to never have owned one.

Hi Bruce...

1st off let me say that those who have purchased the Tosh.....I respect. It is not easy being 1st! Also for GREAT HD, I would wait out the load time...big deal (a pain but I like content) The remote would be in the closet and I would use the Harmony 880 to control it. I just can't believe Toshiba would do that since remotes are a well known complaint of MANY electronic items!

I also have a Focus Electronics (now out of service) OUTBOARD Upconverter that goes all the way to 1080P...amazing since it is 5 yrs old and I bought it for my 1st gen Pioneer HDTV proj since its line doubler was so rotten for SD!

Yes, I have brought over a few mid grade upconverting DVD players from friends to put up against the $1000 Elite...No comparison. Actually one of them was the Panasonic 82 (not bad, but no match for the Pioneer either...NO INSULT INTENDED). In the world of HIGH END Components...even the Pioneer Elite is considered consumer grade...and the Elite line is going downhill fast IMHO!)

remember...it is all in the eye of the beholder!

Another issue is just how good your HDTV is...I also have a 2006 model Mits LCD (RP) that is no match for my HP Plasma! When you are looking at a 50"+ size display...imperfections become very obvious!! Had a DN guy come over for a demo...he took one look at my BUD in the back yard...and called it an antique while saying "wait until I show you DN"... UNTIL I TURNED the 4dtv/hdd200 ON...He never gave the demo...packed up his Pizza Pan demo equipment and thanked me....:D

Granted I have not put a new Toshiba HD-DVD up against, but I am going to wait for another generation (and better brand) to come out...assuming that I select HD-DVD or Blue Ray...My decision will heavily depend on what BlockBuster does!! When new material ...actually shot with HD cameras begins to appear....it will be easier for me to justify And fortunately for me it is not a matter of cost when it comes to my toys!!!:)

IE: even with Starz HD on the 4DTV...there is a distinct difference when compared with the Discovery Channel HD (always uses REAL HD content) Also PBS OTA uses pretty good stuff here in Reno.

I am usually the 1st in line to adopt new electronics...this is the 1st one I am sitting out and watching from the sidelines!

Again, It is also a combination of my decent quality Plasma TV by HP (a Panasonic Panel) that helps. I would say that upconverting an SD DVD on the Elite gives me approx 75% the near HD quality that I get with either OTA HD or my 4dtv/HDD200 HD on the BUD...Not compressed like the Pizza Pan stuff.....The source of the HD is so important too...the Discovery HD channel uses real HD cameras and it is spectacular! I am still curious how they are mastering thewse older HD-DVD movies that were not shot with HD Cameras....

regards
Jeff

Last edited:
I have rarely seen such passion over a DVD player. I hadn't had a chance to watch my A-1 in a few days, so I sat down Tuesday night while the Prez was on, and watched Apollo 13. WOW.

It just doesn't bother me that this unit doesn't "snap to' quickly. My computer doesn't ..my cell phone doesn't... ect...

I love this thing. The A/V is stunning. I'm sure someday we'll all have one that fits in our pocket, but I like watching it now. That's what's important to me.

The good folks on this forum (mainly Ilya) talked me into a Harmony remote and life is good.

My teeth are whiter,my breath cleaner, and I'm a better dancer since I bought this machine.

Last edited:
vurbano said:
Apparently you are lucky.
Perhaps, I am not using the remote as heavily as others. I like watching movies from the beginning to the end without commercial breaks, like in a theater. ;)
However, I did a lot of fast-forwarding and rewinding when doing my back-to-back comparison of The Phantom of the Opera HD DVD to the HBO's version.

right on

Jamey K said:
I have rarely seen such passion over a DVD player. I hadn't had a chance to watch my A-1 in a few days, so I sat down Tuesday night while the Prez was on, and watched Apollo 13. WOW.

It just doesn't bother me that this unit doesn't "snap to' quickly. My computer doesn't ..my cell phone doesn't... ect...

I love this thing. The A/V is stunning. I'm sure someday we'll all have one that fits in our pocket, but I like watching it now. That's what's important to me.

The good folks on this forum (mainly Ilya) talked me into a Harmony remote and life is good.

My teeth are whiter,my breath cleaner, and I'm a better dancer since I bought this machine.

The passion is probably due to the type of folks (like us!:D ) than inhabit this forum!

I wrote a whole thread on the Harmony in the gadget section...best one I have ever had!!!!

regards
Jeff

Ilya said:
Perhaps, I am not using the remote as heavily as others. I like watching movies from the beginning to the end without commercial breaks, like in a theater. ;)
However, I did a lot of fast-forwarding and rewinding when doing my back-to-back comparison of The Phantom of the Opera HD DVD to the HBO's version.

They have started a thread on freeze problems at AVS http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=675773&page=1

gizzer777 said:
I
Now, BB was hooked up to a Westinghouse Plasma (probably the worst of ther worst...spell DUMB for me please), so I would think my HP Plasma shows off an upconverted signal better anyway. (has a Panasonic panel since HP really does not make mostly anything for themselves.)

Actually it was probably the Westinghouse 1080p LCD, at least it was at my bestbuy. And this tv has been getting great reviews from every source I can find on it. One of the few tvs that can actually accept a 1080p input.

this was probably the model http://www.westinghousedigital.com/pc-44-7-42-1080p-monitor.aspx

Last edited:
The best way to get the remote to work better is to go in to the menu options (with no disc in the player) and turn on the beep for remote button being pushed. This way the player will beep every time it receives a remote command and you know that it sooner or later will get around to it, or if it missed the remote all together.

update update where is my internet update?

gizzer777 said:
The passion is probably due to the type of folks (like us!:D ) than inhabit this forum!
regards
Jeff

Ah,,,I said it wrong, I meant, I've never seen a DVD under such attack for ,,,,,just being. There are comments here and other forums (Digital Bits for one) from ppl who just hate the idea of this machine being invented.

I read reviews or opinions that range from disgusted to out right hatred. I try to filter some of it from BR fans, or Tosh haters.

It reminds me of VOOM. People who didn't have it or hadn't even seen it, felt so threatened by it's very being. Go look through the VOOM archives and you'll see pages and pages of comments from ppl full of passion.....dancing on the grave when it finally died. I can understand if they worked for D* or E*. But just the fact that VOOM even existed, pissed people off. I see the same thing happening here with the A-1.

It's not perfect, but I have one and it's better than the negative reviews would have you think, and it's certainly not a new machine sent from hell to ruin anyone's life.

For first generation.....it's actually very good.

OMG...you are correct...it was notn what it looked like

hbk409 said:
Actually it was probably the Westinghouse 1080p LCD, at least it was at my bestbuy. And this tv has been getting great reviews from every source I can find on it. One of the few tvs that can actually accept a 1080p input.

this was probably the model http://www.westinghousedigital.com/pc-44-7-42-1080p-monitor.aspx

OMG...you are 100% correct...I assumed it was a plasma since it was in with the other Plasma tvs!
If the reviews are correct, then either the player or the TV was screwed up...really looked bad, so hopefully it was an anomally ....Had horrible blacks which Plasmas have a great deal of difficulty with...Panasonic Plasma panels being the current champ at IMHO....Also plasmas have a bad raP (and rightfully so) for "dot crawl" I see it a bit on my HP but only on very dark scenes and It crops up, rarely so I put up with it

THANKS FOR THE CLARIFICATION!!! I SHOULD HAVE LOOKED CLOSER BUT WAS STUDING THE PICTURE QUALITY AND MADE THE OBVIOUS ASSUMPTION (BAD JEFF...I SHOULD KNOW BETTER!)...WESTINGHOUSE...MUST BE A FRIDGE!!! <GRIN>

Again, I am not fond of Toshiba products and being aware I will not permit any pre conceived notions to get in the way!!! I am hoping the content I have seen was not filmed with HD cameras? Or maybe the geek Squad clowns hooked it up thru an SVHS output..they are really bad out here but the Magnolia guys are pretty good.

Yes, I am a critical viewer and again...give credit to those who have "gone for it"..
regards
Jeff

Last edited:
DVD got bad reviews when it first came out, and I have an early $1k DVD player still and some of the old disks. The initial compression was horrible and it was panned next to the higher quality of LaserDisc. Of course it did not take too long before the player dropped in price and the MPEG-2 encoders were improved to quickly pass the LaserDisc in PQ. One of the first DVDs I got the people's mouths would pixelate while they were talking...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts