Toshiba HD-XA1 HD DVD Player - A Taste of Heaven

WHen are these reviews going to stop raving how it looks better than DVD or blows DVD away, as if that is any gauge of how good the player is at playing HD DVD? It had better blow DVD away by definition, if it doesnt it belongs in the trash and the makers in jail for fraud. :rolleyes: For Petes sake compare it to 19 mbps OTA HD so that a meaningful comparison can be made.

vurbano said:
WHen are these reviews going to stop raving how it looks better than DVD or blows DVD away, as if that is any gauge of how good the player is at playing HD DVD? It had better blow DVD away by definition, if it doesnt it belongs in the trash and the makers in jail for fraud. :rolleyes: For Petes sake compare it to 19 mbps OTA HD so that a meaningful comparison can be made.
They Did Say This: " And the HD DVDs were better than virtually every HDTV broadcast of film-based content I could find on our Dish satellite and Time Warner cable systems. Now, let's get on with the show".

vurbano said:
WHen are these reviews going to stop raving how it looks better than DVD or blows DVD away, as if that is any gauge of how good the player is at playing HD DVD? It had better blow DVD away by definition, if it doesnt it belongs in the trash and the makers in jail for fraud. :rolleyes:
Have you even read the review before posting this? ;)

"It seems apparent that HDTV should spank a DVD every time, but the HD DVDs were also noticeably better than a typical HD broadcast on satellite or cable. While I couldn't do an A/B comparison with any of the HD DVD titles, looking at a variety of movies and filmed shows made some differences obvious. While the broadcasts occasionally competed on overall detail, they, like the DVDs, offered less saturated colors and dynamic "punch" than the HD DVDs. And they were very often plagued by mosquito noise and other compression artifacts."
I would totally agree with the above observations.

For Petes sake compare it to 19 mbps OTA HD so that a meaningful comparison can be made.
OTA? :confused: Yes, HD DVD looks better than OTA, IMHO, but what's the point of comparing to OTA? Do you ever watch movies OTA? Personally, I never do. I can't stand commercials, plus OTA movies are usually edited for networks and are almost never in OAR.

HD DVD provides the best HD experince for home viewing of movies todate, that pretty much blows everything else away. And that's what really counts.

Ilya said:
Have you even read the review before posting this? ;)

I would totally agree with the above observations.

OTA? :confused: Yes, HD DVD looks better than OTA, IMHO, but what's the point of comparing to OTA? Do you ever watch movies OTA? Personally, I never do. I can't stand commercials, plus OTA movies are usually edited for networks and are almost never in OAR.

HD DVD provides the best HD experince for home viewing of movies todate, that pretty much blows everything else away. And that's what really counts.

1. Yes i read it and Satellite is some of the worst HD PQ you can get. Cable HD varies all over the place. OTA HD has long been the HD standard at 19 mbps. And the only way to really gauge where to PQ stands is with a great OTA picture or C band feed. Not some Pizza pan dish signal.

2. Commericals? WTF does that have to do with PQ comparisons?

3. Yes I watch HD movies OTA, being a D* customer it blows away any channel D* has. Infact the best HD Ive seen has been OTA. The lion king on ABC for instance. Id suggest you research AVS for a thread they had polling the best HD anyone has seen. You find the vast majority responded OTA shows. The next time a presidential speech comes on compare the UHD sat feed to your local non multicasting OTA HD signal. Or better yet the masters golf tournament or US OPEN. There is no comparison.

4. I am not saying HD DVD is not better or worse than OTA, just wondering when someone is going to post some screen shots that show where it stands with OTA and C band.

Last edited:
gross67 said:
They Did Say This: " And the HD DVDs were better than virtually every HDTV broadcast of film-based content I could find on our Dish satellite and Time Warner cable systems. Now, let's get on with the show".
I would expect them to be better than pizza pan dishes and cable systems. How about a comparison to high quality systems such as C band and non multicasting OTA HD.

vurbano said:
I would expect them to be better than pizza pan dishes and cable systems. How about a comparison to high quality systems such as C band and non multicasting OTA HD.

I agree i need to see some pics before i shell out more money.

I just don't understand why some people are hell bent on tearing down this machine! Why do people feel like they have to rip a machine that they have not even bought? Perhaps they have invested money in Blue Ray stocks or something!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts