Toshiba HD-A3 Firmware Question?

69Mustang

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
Ok, just got my A3 and it appears to work great. The question I have has anyone done the firmware update for the A3?

Did it seem to make any difference?

Did you download the software to pc and burn a disc or ethernet?

Just wondering before I go through the effort. Thanks.

I didn't know there was a firmware upgrade for the A3 yet since it just came out. The toshiba site doesn't even have one listed.

nevermind I found it... it looks like all it does is enable the web enabled content and addresses an HDMI -> DVI adapter. It also says that it fixes audio dropouts. My father hasn't had that problem yet on his (and we never updated it) but I'm guessing it does exist on some discs.

Ok, just got my A3 and it appears to work great. The question I have has anyone done the firmware update for the A3?

I have the A35, and updated. The player came with version 1.0, and 1.1 is available. I beleive the 1.1 version is avaailable for all 3rd gen players (A3, A30 & A35)

Did it seem to make any difference?

I honesty couldn't tell any difference, I just like to keep my equipment up to date.

Did you download the software to pc and burn a disc or ethernet?

I prefer to download & burn to disc. Then I have a copy if I ever need to re-load or revert back. But also I live in the boonies with only 512k Wi-Fi that can fade in & out. I'd rather just re-download a file to my pc rather than risk losing my connection updating via the player.

Just wondering before I go through the effort. Thanks.

You're welcome. :)

BTW, to check what version you have, follow the steps for updating via the player - Setup Menu, Maintenance, Update. Right before you click "Update", your current version is displayed. For a new A3, it will probably say 1.0/1.1
After updating, it would say 1.1/1.1

It currently is running 1.1 so I guess it's Ok for now. I did download and burn the update to a CD-R but the A3 did not like it. Not a readable DVD I think it said. I used Nero 7 and just copied it as a data copy.

For future reference how do you burn it and install??

It currently is running 1.1 so I guess it's Ok for now. I did download and burn the update to a CD-R but the A3 did not like it. Not a readable DVD I think it said. I used Nero 7 and just copied it as a data copy.

For future reference how do you burn it and install??

The firmware update is an iso image file. You must burn the image. I use Nero 8. Under Nero 8 it is Copy disc-Burn image.

Doug says he uses this iso software.

Active@ ISO Burner. CD DVD burning freeware. CD DVD CD-RW CDR DVD-RW DVD-R DVD+R DVD+RW CD-R .

S~

You must burn the ISO file as slow as possible. I did one for each the A-2 & A-3 and neither worked until I used ISO Recorder at 1X speed.

I updated with the new firmware and now it allows me to play "300", as before I would get a system error. Common problem with this movie and some others.

Yeah, I recommend Nero as well. I wasted 8 discs trying to burn the image with Roxio (got the invalid disc message) and it worked the first time on Nero.

Thank you, Roxio made me 4 shiny coasters, thankfully I still have Nero on my laptop, worked perfect with Nero.

If you have a decent connection I recommend updating it via ethernet, simple and only took about 30 mins. Thats one of the main reasons for internet connectivity. Updated my A3 right out of the box no problems. Can't tell you if it made a difference because that was one of the first things I did during setup.

If you have a decent connection I recommend updating it via ethernet, simple and only took about 30 mins. Thats one of the main reasons for internet connectivity. Updated my A3 right out of the box no problems. Can't tell you if it made a difference because that was one of the first things I did during setup.

Right, that's what I ended up doing. I didn't want to have to burn a cd every time. I have a router right next to my TV equip anyhow. At first my A3 said that I had 1.1/1.0 software. Now it says I have the 1.3/1.1.

So do I have the 1.3 or did it just go from 1.0 to 1.1?

Right, that's what I ended up doing. I didn't want to have to burn a cd every time. I have a router right next to my TV equip anyhow. At first my A3 said that I had 1.1/1.0 software. Now it says I have the 1.3/1.1.

So do I have the 1.3 or did it just go from 1.0 to 1.1?

Actually, isn't the first number the available version, and the second the one that you have? So the first time you had 1.0 but 1.1 was available. Now that you have downloaded 1.1, that shows as the second number, but 1.3 is available to download - looks like you need to update...

Just received an update disc 1.3/1.1 for HD-A3/HD-D3 from Toshiba. If it really doesn't do much to the machine I think I'll hold off. Why tempt fate, my HD-A3 is working fine as it is now. I'll hold on to it just in case though.

Thanks.

I bought my A3 2 weeks ago and burned the upgrade to CD. Opened the tray, popped in the CD and a message came up saying "Updating - Please wait" and about 15 min. later the tray opened and I went from 1.1 to 1.3.. I can't say if it made any difference because I upgraded even before I put in my free copy of "300" for the first time. It played flawlessly. :up

I bought my A3 2 weeks ago and burned the upgrade to CD. Opened the tray, popped in the CD and a message came up saying "Updating - Please wait" and about 15 min. later the tray opened and I went from 1.1 to 1.3.. I can't say if it made any difference because I upgraded even before I put in my free copy of "300" for the first time. It played flawlessly. :up

300 might play flawlessly. You likely would have issues with Balls of Fury, The Heartbreak Kid, Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix and even Debbie Does Dallas Again without the update.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)