Toshiba HDA2 2 Channel Only

sfollenius

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Hi all, I have a similar thread where I had trouble with HD DVD disks only playing in DTS 2 CH on my JVC receiver and we figure its because I have an older receiver that needs to be upgraded.

Now I have found another problem. When I play standard DVD's that are in Dolby 5.1, my 2 CH light always illuminates on the HDA2 and thats what I always get on my receiver. Not sure whats going on here. I tried 3 DVD's. Nemo, Polar Express and Saving Private Ryan.

I have the audio set to bitstream on the Player and am connected via optical. I tried pressing the audio button on the remote and I just get other language options on the DVD.

I have the latest firmware, I downloaded it 2 days ago.

Thanks!

I remember reading about a 2ch bug on the A2 indicators, but that did not actually affect output.

What do you have your receiver set to? Auto or hard set to something?

The JVC is set to Auto. It reflects Dolby Digital and is 2.1 ch. When I change it to Dolby Digital I get the same thing. When I change to DTS, I get nothing of course. I used this optical input with my regular dvd player previously with no problems. And my receiver works find 5.1 sound with my D* HR20.

A lot of receivers don't like the full bitrate DTS put out by the 2nd gen HD-DVD players.

I have a Sony receiver connected to an A2 via optical (firmware v2.7), so I can say that the A2 definitely outputs 5.1 DTS and Dolby Digital over optical.

You mentioned Nemo. Did you try the THX Optimizer to verify that you are getting discreet 5.1 sound out?

Do you have a calibration disc like "Ultimate DVD", "Digital Video Essentials" or "Avia"?

Did you press the display options on the remote? My audio settings are hdmi->auto (yawn), spdif->bitstream, dynamic range control->off.

Thanks for all the help! Its kind of weird, even though the receiver was set on "Auto Digital" it was automatically using two channel. I pushed the surround sound button on the receiver (which usually just changes to DTS and Pro-Logic two) actually changed it to Dolby 5.1! I then put in an HD DVD and did the same thing, bingo! DTS 5.1. Looks like I am in good shape for now, thanks for all the help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)