Total HD discs delayed until 2008

Well, there would be no point in releasing a "total HD" disk with both formats if the format war is over. So, the fact that they are delaying the release of "total HD" could mean that they think the war might be over sooner and they would have a dud product on their hands.

Or maybe they just have an expensive dud product on their hands. :) I still think these discs are going to be just too expensive.

-John

Well, there would be no point in releasing a "total HD" disk with both formats if the format war is over. So, the fact that they are delaying the release of "total HD" could mean that they think the war might be over sooner and they would have a dud product on their hands.

That's the speculation at Engadget.

Or maybe, they are having/had QC issues. They first announce the discs for 3rd/4th Qtr 2007. Now it's 1st qtr 2008. All this speculation that the format war is over is tiring. It's far from over...

1)projected 2008 US Households = 112,363,000
projected # of HDTV in US Households for 2008 = 40,450,680

# of PS3 sold/shipped in US = 1,500,000 (How many of these are used to view BD?)
# of 360 HDDVD add ons = 155,000
# of HDDVD Standalones = 170,000

Do the math. less than 5% of the projected 2008 HDTV sets will have a HD player(Bluray and HDDVD combined). The war is far from over and all concerns of survival should be shared by both.

2) Like it or not the software gap is closing not widening.
Percentage of total Hi-Def sales:
Bluray HDDVD
Week: 56.63% 43.37%
Month: 65.95% 34.05%
Year: 62.16% 37.84%

Studios: 23 26

3) So much for Bluray's Blockbuster supoport....

Blockbuster Closing 282 US Stores: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

Wasn't Warner going to premier the new format using Lord of the Rings? I wonder what will happen to those titles now that Total HD has been delayed?

r.jones1116; 2) Like it or not the software gap is closing not widening. Percentage of total Hi-Def sales: Bluray HDDVD Week: 56.63% 43.37% Month: 65.95% 34.05% Year: 62.16% 37.84% Studios: 23 26 3) So much for Bluray's Blockbuster supoport.... [url=http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070628/blockbuster_stores_closing.html?.v=1 said:
Blockbuster Closing 282 US Stores: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance[/url]

HD-DVD had a very good week -- they should have since they brought out over 10 new titles but for the month it is still 2-1 BluRay. Man, BluRay bought out 3 titles and HD-DVD brought out over 10 and HD-DVD still could not win the week. How in the heck are they going to win this silly format war?

...Like it or not the software gap is closing not widening.
Percentage of total Hi-Def sales:
Bluray HDDVD
Week: 56.63% 43.37%
Month: 65.95% 34.05%
Year: 62.16% 37.84%

What week was that? And where are those figures from? For 6/24, the latest period for which Nielson has reported (via Home Media Magazine), Blu-ray is outselling HD DVD by 70 to 30. The week prior, it was 64 to 36. YTD is 67 to 33.

HD-DVD had a very good week -- they should have since they brought out over 10 new titles but for the month it is still 2-1 BluRay. Man, BluRay bought out 3 titles and HD-DVD brought out over 10 and HD-DVD still could not win the week. How in the heck are they going to win this silly format war?

And they didn't even really have a very good week- they fell further behind compared to the prior week.

What week was that? And where are those figures from?

Yeah, I can't figure out what week those figures would be from, but -

And they didn't even really have a very good week- they fell further behind compared to the prior week.

You're referring to week ending June 24. The only high def release that week was Disney/Touchstone's popular Bridge to Terabitha. And that the YTD & Since Inception figures are staying pretty steady even with weekly swings to 70% BD indicates the units sold are still relatively small.

I look for July. For the entire month there are 26 HD DVD releases with only 16 for blu-ray, including dual format releases. If HD DVD can't climb back up to at least 40% for a couple of those weeks, it's time for them to say "Houston, we have a problem". :)

Back on topic - Warner's delay of TotalHD right after the announcement that BD+ is "ready" makes me think there is a compatibility issue, nothing more.

Yeah, I can't figure out what week those figures would be from, but -

You're referring to week ending June 24. The only high def release that week was Disney/Touchstone's popular Bridge to Terabitha. And that the YTD & Since Inception figures are staying pretty steady even with weekly swings to 70% BD indicates the units sold are still relatively small.

OK, that makes sense.

I look for July. For the entire month there are 26 HD DVD releases with only 16 for blu-ray, including dual format releases. If HD DVD can't climb back up to at least 40% for a couple of those weeks, it's time for them to say "Houston, we have a problem". :)

Perhaps, but #s are still so small (I'd love to know if monthly sales are increasing, and at what rate, for high def in general). I really look to September. That could really indicate a possible settlement this year. Will Blu-ray take the entire U.S. market? Or just vaguely three fourths of it? Europe? The only thing that I think is 80% settled at this point is that Blu-ray will survive. Now, will HD DVD have a place in the U.S. market? Will high def discs in general eventually overtake DVDs?

Actually, I'd be surprised if it was really settled before Turkey Day. And not too surprised if it extended into 2008, when the "cheap" players arrive. Will it be settled before sub $200 players become common?

Let's see ma, I can buy me one of them new hd players from Walmart for $200 but theys two of them. Which one will the kids want? Which one plays Disney?

Nah, I don't think that HD disc players and their prices are gonna settle this one. Disc sales is where the repeat money is and that is where the war will be won.

Seems I remember a time when everyone had an 8-track system at home or even in their car. Damm thing was unbelievably popular. They sold tons of them. They even provide quad sound (4 channels!). But, cassette decks came out and most of the music went onto cassettes and by shear numbers cassettes won out over 8-track systems. It wasn't the amount of systems sold but the number of music tapes sold. Cassettes simply outsold 8-track and 8-track simply faded away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts