Total Newbie Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tase2

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
Thinking about getting DirecTV. not positive if I have an unobstructed view of the southern sky or not. The is an opening or two. Is there anyway to find out if Sat will work prior to buying system and having it installed? For example would Radio Shack carry some type of gadget or gismo that might help?

Thanks
Mark

Get a compass from sporting good store like this one. could be have for 9.99.

http://www.briski.us/Backpacking/gear/compass.jpg

Goto

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/DishPointerServlet

enter your zipcode at the bottom it will give you where the signal be coming from and your elevation. Use the compass to figure out where it pointing, try it from different locations that compass point to lowest points of the tree line and guesstimate the elevation if you don't have inclinometer. Directv 101 satallite is located on the best slot on the obit for north America so you should not have too much problem with trees.

PSB said:
Welcome to SatelliteGuys.US

Its worth the extra $ to hire a licensed professional installer with the correct tool to work out exactly what satellites you can and cant get from your area! Saves a lot of heart break, days off work....

Where is a good place to find a professional installer? Do I call Directv or are there installers listed in the Yellow Pages?

What would you guesstimate they would charge?

Thanks
Mark

There is no shame in hiring a LICENSED Professional, they (should) carry the correct sight survey tool that not only works as a compass but also an inclinometer letting you know if the satellite signal can be received OVER any obstacles ,every man to his own trade!

Try Here...

www.dbsinstall.com

I charge $30 for a total site evaluation for all satellites from a customers location, it can save a lot of tears and days off work waiting for someone to come out and say "No you cant have satellite" just because they want to get home early that day, or they have 3-4 more installs to do and yours looks like it may be a hassle!

What should I do now?

Ok I used a professional ($30). He said no way but if I could get permission from the condo association to put the satellite on the roof (ha ha) he could get it to work. Well I figured I could ask anyway and much to my shock and amazement they said Ok for a dish on the roof.

So now the big question is what should I do. I am open to all suggestions.

What my ultimate end result would be is to get a satellite service and a dvr. I would love to record HD if possible, but $1000 is a little steep. I don't even know if there are any other hdtv dvr options other than directv with the hughes hr10-250. Please let me know if there are other options. So I guess I am willing to forego hdtv recording for now which opens the question of what combination of satellite company and what receiver/dvr I should get. I have spent 95% of my research time over at TiVo Community Forum and Directv.com. Of course they are fairly or totally bias. So I thought I would ask around in a neutral site.

I would love to hear what you all think.

Thanks so much
Mark

if unable to get the high def tivo at this time i would start with a good high def box and go from there. and also add a tivo to it also to have that option. i have that here now and love it

if unable to get the high def tivo at this time i would start with a good high def box and go from there. and also add a tivo to it also to have that option. i have that here now and love it

What high def box and which tivo do you have?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)