Totally new DISH user

bobmorning

Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Pennsylvania
I don't want to take up a lot of your time so I'll be very brief:

I going to be moving to a new home (zip code 17225) that already has DISH network, I 've never had satellite before (bye bye Comcast!). The disk itself conveys but the owner is taking the receiver. I work in IT so I'm technically literate, but there is a lot to learn.

I've been googling for hours to learn on my own but the quality of responses here seems first rate so here goes:

1) Can I do this myself (receiver install)? The dish is already pointing at something (I hope) and the cabling is in place.

2) Do rent or buy the receiver(s)?

3) Any good links on how to get smart on this real fast?

4) I am going to have 3 TVs 2 HD, 1 SD. If you were going to do this, how would you do it, what would you buy, and how (online, retailer)?

If this has been covered before, my apologies in advance, just point me in the right direction and I'll only come back if I still have valid questions.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Bob

Last edited:
I don't want to take up a lot of your time so I'll be very brief:

I going to be moving to a new home that already has DISH network, I 've never had satellite before (bye bye Comcast!). The disk itself conveys but the owner is taking the receiver. I work in IT so I'm technically literate, but there is a lot to learn.

I've been googling for hours to learn on my own but the quality of responses here seems first rate so here goes:

1) Can I do this myself (receiver install)? The dish is already pointing at something (I hope) and the cabling is in place.

2) Do rent or buy the receiver(s)?

3) Any good links on how to get smart on this real fast?

4) I am going to have 3 TVs 2 HD, 1 SD. If you were going to do this, how would you do it, what would you buy, and how (online, retailer)?

If this has been covered before, my apologies in advance, just point me in the right direction and I'll only come back if I still have valid questions.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Bob

1. Depends on what model of Dish and potentially which direction its pointing (if you are in a market that maybe just got its locals).
  2. You can rent or buy; buying is more expensive upfront, but you don't have lease fees (you would still potentially have DVR fees, if you wanted that capability). Personally, I lease right now.
  3. Ask questions here! :)
  4. Assuming you want DVR capabilities, I would do 1 722k which will feed one HDTV and one SDTV, then I would add maybe a 211 for the other HDTV with the external hard drive option for DVR. Who you get the equipment from depends largely on whether you are renting or buying.
That was my take, but I am sure others will chyme in.

If you are a sports fanatic, you might want to go to Directv. If your want a digital video recorder (dvr), go with Dish. They have the best equipment. I would go with a 722 for one HD and one SD tv and add a 211 for the other HDTV. You can go to the Dish website and see what deals they are offering new customers. Dish might be a little cheaper than Direct, depending on what package of channels you want. Installation is normally free with either, which includes the dish outside. So either will repoint or replace your dish as needed. Welcome to Sat Guys US.

Just Call DISH!! They will come and make sure you have all of the equipment you need and make sure you have a quality signal and all of the lines are still in good repair.... FOR FREE!! So why do it yourself...

Now that aside, I would go with a 722k which will power one HD tv with DVR and a second SD tv with DVR and for the last tv go with a 612 HD DVR... thats my take...

I would just chime in to say I would recommend leasing the equipment. Even if you own your receivers, Dish charges you a monthly fee (basically the leased fee renamed to something else). So there's no point in taking on up front costs by owning your equipment, expecially since you only seem to need three tuners.

What does this means?

Here is a snippet of chat I just had with DISH:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](01) Jerah V.: Because DISH Network will waive the $5 per month TV2 Connection Fee for each duo receiver beyond the first, provided each receiver is continuously connected to your phone line or the internet as confirmed by DISH Network.
Bob: I will be ordering Verizon DSL for the house. Is that acceptable?
(01) Jerah V.: Since you will be getting second HD Duo receiver instead an HD Solo, the second HD Duo must be connected to an active phone line so we can waive the $5 per month TV2 Connection Fee.

Can someone explain why I need an active phone line to have DISH?

Like I said earlier in a post, I'm a total noob at this satellite stuff.

Bob
[/FONT]

You just need a broadband connection for the VIP dual tuner dvr's to avoid the "because we can " phone line fee for the second tuner or if you have home phone service you can plug in the phone line too. Using the broadband will allow you access to the Dishonline stuff though, in addition to avoiding the phone line fee that Dish likes to charge on dual tuner boxes.

maybe i will

:wave

I also recommend leasing equipment. Also, have an installer come over to make sure your signal is maximized. You will be much more satisfied with your service if everything works as it should. I too use broadband instead of a phone line for my receivers with no problems. Besides, online scheduling for DVRs is coming soon and you will need an active broadband connection for it to operate.

i been with dish 10 years and no problems with them .sure i want dish to get the speed and espnu in hd.i believe we have them by the end of summer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts