Transfer to Mobile Device Rules

tobsandmags

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
What are the rules/limitations/restrictions on transferring and viewing shows to a mobile device?

1) When you get to the end of a show that has been transferred to a mobile device, does it auto-delete? If you don't let it go to the end, does it not auto-delete (if that's what it does).....meaning you could just wind the show back to the beginning and start over.

2) Does the show auto-delete after a certain number of days whether you've started to watch it or not? If that's what happens, when does the clock start...when I transferred it or when I first started watching the show?

3) Can you transfer a specific instance/recording of a show only once?

4). I've seen an pop-up message saying the show will be deleted off my DVR if I transfer it. What is that all about? It doesn't show up all the time.

Thanks....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2 cents from doing this a lot a couple of months ago for my daughter and a long trip she was going on and from my experience moving things over for long business travel.

1) When you get to the end of a show that has been transferred to a mobile device, does it auto-delete? If you don't let it go to the end, does it not auto-delete (if that's what it does).....meaning you could just wind the show back to the beginning and start over.
No. The recording should stay on your device until you delete it except in cases like #2 below. I've had transfers stay on for a long time until I deleted them. Even if I deleted from the DVTR itself. Should be able to view as many times as you like.

2) Does the show auto-delete after a certain number of days whether you've started to watch it or not? If that's what happens, when does the clock start...when I transferred it or when I first started watching the show?
I've found most don't but yes, some recordings do have a set number of days they will be available to view until they are no longer saved. Think mostly new episodes? But in those cases it should tell you up front when you transfer and you see a number on the show icon indicating how long is left. The clock starts for those the day you transfer it to the mobile device. Otherwise, if no notification of expiration they should stay available.

3) Can you transfer a specific instance/recording of a show only once?
Unless otherwise specified during the transfer process, you should be able to transfer more than once. As long as it is still on the DVR. Meaning, those that will delete the recording from the DVR as in #4 below will only allow one transfer. And I think that if you retransfer a show that has a days limit as in #2, then the next transfer will be set to the number of days that were left. Not start the count over from the max number of days.

4). I've seen an pop-up message saying the show will be deleted off my DVR if I transfer it. What is that all about? It doesn't show up all the time.
Me, too. But mostly for movies I recorded from either free preview days or other movie channels. Might be a rule with the company that owns the rights to the movie/show, where it can only be on one electronic device at a time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)