Transfering data to new VIP211 EHD...

hman920

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
I recently upgraded my VIP211 EHD to a new 2TB Western Digital.

The old 1TB EHD still has all the DISH data on it.

I want to get all the recorded shows/movies transferred from my old 1TB EHD to my new 2TB EHD.

After I connected my new 2TB EHD to the VIP211 and let in format I disconnected from the VIP211 and connected both EHD's to a PC running Knoppix Linux and could see the files on both EHD's. It would not let me copy the files (shows/movies) from the old EHD to the new EHD, it said "access denied" when trying to copy.

Does anyone know of a way to copy these files over to my new EHD?

I called DISH tech support and they said it was only possible with "DVR" receiver. Why not with a EHD DVR receiver such as the VIP211? DISH has to realize hard drives do not last forever, they need to be replaced eventually. My 1TB EHD is over 5 years old, I wanted to be proactive and change it out before it crashed.

DISH should offer a simple PC software program for transferring files from one EHD to another, I guess that would be asking too much...

Any info would be great...

Hman

DISH should offer a simple PC software program for transferring files from one EHD to another, I guess that would be asking too much...

Any info would be great...

Hman
The content owners/licensing agents certainly think it is, hence the not easily bypassed copy preventing encryption. I believe this is a way around it, though I am not familiar with it
Question to you, why not you just use the 2T for new recording and leave the 1T alone?

Last edited:
To my knowledge the data on the EHD is encrypted and can only be decrypted when connected to the VIP211 with the proper keys to decrypt/view the files. The content owners should not have a problem with copying the data from one device to another.

"Question to you, why not you just use the 2T for new recording and leave the 1T alone?"

It is a pain to switch EHD's on the VIP211. After you plug in the EHD is goes through a ~10 minute startup before you can use the receiver again.

The VIP211 only has 1 USB port. I asked DISH tech support what would happen if I connected both EHD's at the same time with the use of a USB hub. They were not sure. I do not want to try it and risk loosing all the data on both hard drives.

Hman

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts