Transferring DVR recordings from Hopper to Hopper 3

bonnjer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 5, 2006
I'm going from a Hopper to a Hopper 3 in about a week. I currently have my Hopper DVR at about 67% full and I want to transfer those recordings over to the new Hopper 3. I've got a 1 TB USB external hard drive. Will that be large enough to get everything or will I need to get a bigger one?

I'm going from a Hopper to a Hopper 3 in about a week. I currently have my Hopper DVR at about 67% full and I want to transfer those recordings over to the new Hopper 3. I've got a 1 TB USB external hard drive. Will that be large enough to get everything or will I need to get a bigger one?

The easiest way to transfer is with an ethernet wire between the two Hoppers. That moves all of your recordings including Prime Time Anytime shows.

• Wow
Reactions: charlesrshell
The easiest way to transfer is with an ethernet wire between the two Hoppers. That moves all of your recordings including Prime Time Anytime shows.

Is that something the installation tech can do when he gets here?

He can start it but it will probably take a day or two to move all the recordings.

It's in the Tools section and it's not hard. You just need a regular ethernet wire.

Ah ok, so I just deleted a bunch of stuff that I wasn't going to watch and got it down to 37%. The Hopper has a 2 TB hard drive, right? So I should be good with the 1 TB external to get everything copied over ahead of time. If it's going to take that long, I might as well get it all transferred over ahead of time and then transfer it to the new Hopper 3 once he's done. That way he can take the old equipment when he goes. That sound like it will work?

Reactions: TheKrell
Ah ok, so I just deleted a bunch of stuff that I wasn't going to watch and got it down to 37%. The Hopper has a 2 TB hard drive, right? So I should be good with the 1 TB external to get everything copied over ahead of time. If it's going to take that long, I might as well get it all transferred over ahead of time and then transfer it to the new Hopper 3 once he's done. That way he can take the old equipment when he goes. That sound like it will work?

It does. Good plan.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Yes it will work except you won't be able to transfer your Prime Time Anytime shows to an external hard drive. Also we've seen more errors occur during hard drive transfers than during ethernet transfers.

Isn't it nice to have choices. :)

Yes it will work except you won't be able to transfer your Prime Time Anytime shows to an external hard drive. Also we've seen more errors occur during hard drive transfers than during ethernet transfers.

Isn't it nice to have choices. :)

I don't have any Prime Time Anytime shows on DVR, so no problems there. I guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed on errors with the hard drive transfer then. Choices, indeed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)