Transferring recordings from VIP622 to Hopper3

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

judyintexas

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Today we are moving to the Hopper3. The technician who came out last week to deal with a problem with the vip622 sold us the hard disk to transfer the recordings and got the archiving started. That all went fine, and in fact we watched a program that was on the hard disk, so I know they are fine.

That technician, who was great, had experience transferring recordings and expected it to go well. He offered to come back today to install the Hopper3, and I asked for him, but he just texted that they are sending someone else.

A couple of Dish people I spoke with over the phone while planning this transfer told me that the transfer of the recordings sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

My question is, is the failure a random event, or does a technician need to know exactly how to do it, or what can I do to increase the chances that this will go well?

You don't need the technician to do anything. You could leave the recordings on the external hard drive and watch them directly from there connected to the Hopper, or transfer them all or as needed on an as needed basis.

However, I wouldn't even plug the external hard drive to the Hopper for the first 3 days at least. The hopper needs a couple days to "settle in" and get all its software updates and be properly tied to your account.

Last edited:
Thank you so much. Last week DISH told me that the Hopper3 couldn't play the 622 recordings directly because the external drives are formatted differently for the vip622 vs. the Hopper3. For some reason, on the day they told me that, I did not get the usual good service from DISH on several levels. They sent out a technician to deal with a problem we were not able to solve over the phone, but the fix was to follow some steps on the menu that I could have done if they had told me. I will take your advice and not even try to use the hard dish in any way for a few days, then will see if I can plug it in and view the recordings.

Thank you so much. Last week DISH told me that the Hopper3 couldn't play the 622 recordings directly because the external drives are formatted differently for the vip622 vs. the Hopper3. For some reason, on the day they told me that, I did not get the usual good service from DISH on several levels. They sent out a technician to deal with a problem we were not able to solve over the phone, but the fix was to follow some steps on the menu that I could have done if they had told me. I will take your advice and not even try to use the hard dish in any way for a few days, then will see if I can plug it in and view the recordings.

“hard dish”
If dish is harder for more than four hours please consult a doctor.
:biggrin

Only the 211 formats EHD differently.

Reactions: HipKat and navychop
Before I replaced my leased and dying ViP 622 with a purchased Hopper 3, I transferred all of the recordings off the 622 to the EHD. After I called Dish to get the Hopper 3 registered to my account, I waited a few days. Then I plugged the EHD into the Hopper 3 and transferred some of the recordings onto the Hopper 3 and left others on the EHD. It all just worked.

Reactions: pattykay and Bobby
"it just works" is not that esoteric. Even as a non-Apple customer, I know it

Maybe it's just me. I have been fighting with a 7 year old 27" iMac for several weeks - it did not like High Sierra and I had never heard "it just works".

Thank you KAB. That explains why some of the phone service people I talked to said"sometimes" the hard drive reformats instead of reading.

We have now had the Hopper3 installed. The installer suggested just waiting a few days "for the updates to settle down," then plugging in the hard drive and just watching the recordings directly from it. We'll do that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts