transferring to external HD

john dusek

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 6, 2005
east bernard Texas
Can you transfer programs from internal to ex hardrive while you are recording a program,or will it stop the new recording? I asked Dish and they thought it would.(thought aint yes or no)
I have a duel input 722 receiver with both outputs going to the same tv. When I first turn it on,side 1 picture is about 3 inches narrow on SD stations,but is normal on HD ones. I use the stretch format and on the SD it shows it being in stretch mode,although it is not stretched.(once it warms up it goes back to normal) Side 2 which goes to different input on TV works normal all the time,which clears the TV as the cause. This only shows up while watching a program live and not while recording,which is no problem,as I watch most on recorded.
Has this happened to anyone else? Must be a small glitch in the 1 side. Hope this is not the start of some bigger problem,but to be safe,am backing up to hardrive.
Also 2 or 3 times since I haver had it(have recorded at least 75 programs),when I first turned it on,the picture was smeared and very wide,but by changing channel and the coming back,it was ok. Did record one program like that.
I guess these small glitches are not bad considering what all it does.

You can certainly transfer programs to the external hard drive while you are recording a DIFFERENT program. I do that all the time. Don't think you can transfer a program to the external while that program is recording.

Thanks for comeback,tried it and it worked ok,except a sign came on the one I was recording,telling me it had finished transferring. Lucky the sign went away after about 3 or 4 minutesa
Also had a long downlog about 5;30 this morning,hope they didnt screw anything up,as it was working near OK,especially After reading all the trouble some board members are having with the 722s

Last edited:
Members who have used external hardrives for years,do you recommend turning them off when not in use,or just letting them run all the time. When turning them on or off,should the 722 be off(standby mode)or does it make any difference? Since its working fairly good so far,I dont want to screw anything up.

I always turn my off to lessen stress from continual heat. 722 does NOT need to be off.

Will add an ac switch to mine,so I can also cut it off and also move it up to shelf that holds the
vcr playback. When I am using the external,2 lights flash on front of it,this morning while the receiver was downloading the usual morning download the 2 lights on the EX HD were flashing the entire time of the down load. Why was this happening,as I was not using the HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts