Transferring to Hopper3

lukin4u

Original poster
May 14, 2007
i have a hopper w sling and upgraded to a hopper3
told the installer that i wanted to transfer timers and shows over

these guys are obviously not trained on transfers because he almost took my old box
and did take the old remote, not knowing i needed that to transfer timers over

so i went to dish chat, and they said there is no way to get timers back now
so i called dish tech and they said it can be done but they were not successful so far
however i am in the process of moving my shows over (2days) and he said to try after transfer is complete

i have 150 timers, so it is kind of a pain to do everyone over again
i do have an old/new remote for the hopper with sling if that makes a difference
and the new remote is 52.0

thank in advance for any knowledge anyone has on this topic

BB

Reactions: JSheridan
I wonder if he could heat up his old H2, it sounds like he still has it, and pair the new remote with it and do a backup. Then disconnect it and repair it wth the new H3 and restore. He would have to unpair from the H3 first....

I didn't think of that but it should work. As always, Bobby's on the ball. :)

First off they have to be saved to the remote from the H2. If they were and you still had the H2 remote it would be an easy restore to the H3. Since you do not have the H2 and remote you are out of luck. And by the way I had to train my installer on how this was done. When I showed him he was amazed and said he had never been shown that. I have had to train installers on a few things over the years.

I've seen were a lot of technician say it's not possible but I did my own upgrade from hopper with sling to hopper three in the spring and of course I had my old remote still, and transferred everything perfectly. It took two days to transfer recordings but they transferred no problem. The only downside was I lost all my custom folders and had to re-create them and then move the shows and movies back into the new folders

I've seen were a lot of technician say it's not possible but I did my own upgrade from hopper with sling to hopper three in the spring and of course I had my old remote still, and transferred everything perfectly. It took two days to transfer recordings but they transferred no problem. The only downside was I lost all my custom folders and had to re-create them and then move the shows and movies back into the new folders
Is there a "Dummies Guide" to "upgrading" from an H2 to an H3?

Is there a "Dummies Guide" to "upgrading" from an H2 to an H3?

I wish. This site is probably the place to get info. Truth is, right now, with the CUI on all Hoppers, there's not a big jump to how it works but a few things.

On your H2, get to the diagnostics screen by hitting menu 3 times or /Settings/Diagnostics then tools and back up settings to the remote. Save that remote because when your H3 is installed, you can pair it to the new Hopper, go to the same screen and restore settings to the receiver and to the new remote. Now, it may not work right away. It may fail. just give it a few hours.

When I transferred my recordings, I just followed the Wizard, but I had to try it a few times before it started transferring and it took a good 4 or 5 minutes before the transfer started. And I did not keep my H2 activated like some CSR's say you have to do. Ironically, since the Hopper 3 came out, only 2 people have asked me to transfer recordings, but all have been successful.

Now, a Hopper 2000 is a different story. I've only been able to make it work with an EHD

I wish. This site is probably the place to get info. Truth is, right now, with the CUI on all Hoppers, there's not a big jump to how it works but a few things. . . .

Thank You! I have been in the forums for sometime and have seen various discussions, but have not seen it all put together in one place as things tend to happen here for the benefit of followers. And since I am so inundated I forget things I have just read easily these days. Only so much room up there. So I haven't retained much on the U236 CGUI and the new U237 KCGUI (Kinda Carbon mostly Grey User Interface). Just the problems we have had.

I've been a DISH subscriber since 1995 and have done some tech teaching myself, even a "Supervising Trainer" and the "Field Supervisor" that he called to be onsite during my "strange" HwS upgrade. I knew more than the both of them and they left with an education. But I have never had to migrate anything and with some of the stories I have seen posted lately, I just want to make sure I've got it right. Timer wise it's always been, take pics and a couple of beers and hours with the new box. I'll have to migrate 2 HwS to 2 H3's. I plan on keeping the HwS's as backups until all is good. I will update remotes prior to migrating. One thing with transferring the remote: 1. Update settings; 2. Unpair (right?); 3. Connect to new H3; 4. Restore Timers and Settings. I haven't seen anyone mention step 2 much. I have seen the Transfer Wizard in the Tools and that seems pretty straight forward.

Now after the latest round of bills and the "issues" we've had before and after the KCGUI I have to decide whether to cut the cord, airwave, or stay with DISH.

Thanks again.

I don't think you have to unpair the remote and something tells me not to, but no specific reason. just that little nag in the back of my mind

Reactions: pattykay
When I went from a Hopper 2000 to a Hopper 3 I did a remote backup on my 40 remote. Then I unpaired it from The H2000 and paired it up with the H3. I was able to use the 40 remote immediately. It took a few days for the H3 to settle in and then I was able to restore my timers. This isn't a gut feeling, it is real working history....

When I went from a Hopper 2000 to a Hopper 3 I did a remote backup on my 40 remote. Then I unpaired it from The H2000 and paired it up with the H3. I was able to use the 40 remote immediately. It took a few days for the H3 to settle in and then I was able to restore my timers. This isn't a gut feeling, it is real working history....

I had the same gut feeling. Ya never know with this stuff these days. So you waited a couple of days before restoring timers? Please explain a little further.

Thanks . . .
. . . sf

I had the same gut feeling. Ya never know with this stuff these days. So you waited a couple of days before restoring timers? Please explain a little further.

Thanks . . .
. . . sf
The Hopper 3 takes a few days to settle in. It is taking multiple downloads in that period to get it to hum properly. We've had several people here that thought they couldn't do the restore because it didn't work straight up. A few days later it worked just fine.

Reactions: charlesrshell
UPDATE:
Got the H3's installed, months later and it wasn't easy, and the timers moved over with my own solution that is as follows:
  1. Make sure that you backed up your settings if the remote hasn't been on the box for a while.
  2. Make arrangements to keep your box until you have successful moved everything. Mind the timeline to return it.
  3. Unpair the remote that came with the H3, that is if one has been connected.
  4. Pair/Connect your old remote with the timers/settings stored on it.
  5. Restart/Reboot the H3.
  6. Set the box to do the "Nightly Update" ASAP or wait until it supposedly has done it and wait a couple of hours. These four steps (3-6) are important.
  7. Press the "Menu" button 3 times to get to or find the "Diagnostics" page.
  8. Scroll down to "Tools".
  9. On the "Tools" page find the "Restore Settings Icon" and Select it.
  10. Inside the "Restore Settings" there you find two selections: 1. "Restore to Receiver"; 2. "Restore to Remote Control".
  11. Move to and Select "Restore to Receiver".
  12. It will walk you through what you need to do from here.
Now I'm looking to find the best way to move recordings over. I have searched and found many ways and reasons to do things in one way or another. I'm into the 50 days until I have to return my HwS's and am checking with the Sages that would know how to do this the best. So far the above from HipKat seems to be the most inclusive I have seen. But have been told box-to-box does not work as of May 2018. But will recheck and see if that's still what to do for May 2018.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The current method of transferring timers/settings is way too complicated for the average user. They should just allow you to back up and transfer your timers and settings with a USB flash drive. And if you transfer recordings to an EHD, a file with your timers and settings should be automatically created on the drive and made available for transfer.

Reactions: bwexler and Tony S
The current method of transferring timers/settings is way too complicated for the average user. They should just allow you to back up and transfer your timers and settings with a USB flash drive. And if you transfer recordings to an EHD, a file with your timers and settings should be automatically created on the drive and made available for transfer.
I completely agree, thought of and wished that was the way it was done.

Sent from my SM-T280 using the SatelliteGuys app!

The timers (and I am pretty sure most or all settings) are automatically backed-up to the remote control. After my first Hopper Duo died, when I got my replacement Hopper Duo, all I had to do was pair the old remote to the new receiver, and all of my timers and settings were automatically restored. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)