Transponder 4 @ 119

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

MJL

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Dishnet Transponders

I am having some difficulties getting signals from some transponders on 119. Some PPV and adults not coming in at all. Just says that its lost the signal. It seems to be the 119 thats the most common one. Questions are:
1. In the point/signal setup, I have one option that says "polarity" and they are both set to "Odd" Is that ok?
2. There is no option that reads "Transponders" "All" like some posts say, after the check switch option is used.
3. When aligning the dish outside, how do you know which transponder to be checking the signal on?? Is transponder 1 the only one to check? There must be some place to start that will catch most transponders..... I have a Dishpro500 & 301 receiver.

Thanks a million for the help !!!

Sounds like your receiver is set up for Legacy and the LNB is dishpro

-Unhook the cable from the recever and run check siwtch to clear everything
-when that is done, hook up line and aim dish
-rerun check switch when done :)

What is this Legacy? The confusing thing is that the dish used to work fine about 6 months ago, nothing has changed except getting the system working again after being down for a while. You say unplugging the cable and running the check switch will clear something?

Legacy is an older style of LNB's. Does the LNB have a giant "DP" on the front of it?

The receiver does a check switch to set it up to receive both 110 & 119 through one cable. Unplugging the cable and doing the check switch clears out all those settings. Hook the cable back up and if its aimed right, it should say that you are getting 119 satellite. Rerun the check switch so you can get both 110 & 119

If I'm not mistaken (I dont use DishPro), the check switch should say

119 110
ALL ALL

The LNB does have the DP on it. But I recently swapped receivers with someone, its the same receiver but I don't know what kind of LNB he had on his. I can get some channels on both satellites, just not on certain transponders. Just get that "satellite signal has been lost" message. The dishnet program thats on there though "used" to have a area labelled "transponders" and I remember seeing the "All" text on it. But this receiver doesn't have that area written anywhere that I could see in the menus.

ok...lets just start from scratch
-remove cable from receiver
-with unit on, press "menu 6-1-1" to get into the satellite aiming screen
-arrow to "check switch" and hit OK
-arrow to "retest" or "check" and hit "OK"
let the unit do the test...should come back as all x's
-cancel out to main screen and turn off receiver
-replug in cable line and turn unit back on
-do menu 6-1-1
-arrow to check switch and hit ok
-arrow to "retest" or "check" and hit "OK"
let it retest switch. Should come back as 110 ALL and 119 ALL

that should fix it :)

I did all that, but this receiver doesn't even have a field where it can say "All". Like under a transponder "heading". There isn't one. I thought there used to be but there isn't. Still the same problem, even when I did everything you mentioned. How common is it for the LNB to fail? Someone suggested that to me but I just can't see that failing this early, I have only had it for a year or two. Also I don't know how it can be failing if some of the channels come through on 110 and 119. I tried moving the dish last night a bit with no luck. I think one of my biggest questions is how do you know which satellite and transponder to use when locking in the signal?? Is there any certain one to use? Or do they all lock in when you get a signal on one of them?? I notice that some transponders are stronger than others.

I didn't change the skew at all, just tried moving it on the other axis. Like on 119 and transponder 11 my signal strength is over 100 !! but the other ones are mainly at zero. I just don't understand if this is an aiming problem or an LNB problem at this point.

It sounds like the receiver may need a software update. What model receiver is it and what version of software does it have. You turn the reciever off to let it download the latest software.

Its a 301 receiver, but I am not sure what software revision is on it. As I said, I swapped it with a buddies unit to get it running. I am going to get my older one back from him to see if its the same.

Any idea why I would be getting a signal strength of over 100 on satellite 119 @ transponder 11, but zero at transponder 4 ??

What about other even transponders? If they are all failing you're probably having problems with the cable or connectors. The even transponders run in the higher frequencies and have higher loss in a cable.

Well one is even and the other is odd, so maybe something wrong with the switch setup or your receiver is not switching between 14 and 18v properly.

What type of receiver (legacy or dishpro)?

Odd transponders (eg. 11) will be in the lower frequencies and the loss is lower than the even.

Check your Even transponders that will give us a clue of what's going on. It's also possible that the switch is acting up like Hokie said.

Run a check switch or even clear the switch matrix.

Its a 301 model, with the dish500 twin. The other wierd thing is that with this software, when you calibrate and do the check switch it doesn't say "All" where the transponder title used to be. It doesn't even say "transponder" anymore. It just says about the polarity being ODD on both. Does that mean anything?

You're not getting the EVEN transponders.

Clear the switch matrix:

- Disconnect the satellite feed in the back of the receiver
- Run check switch
- Connect the satellite feed
- Run check switch

If the problem is still there, check all your connections and make sure they are tight and dry.

I tried clearing the matrix, like I said the signal is strong at trans.11 @ 119 so I think its aligned properly. Are these connections the ones outside that are the main concern? I will check them all, the ones inside are fine. Nothing has really changed though so I am a bit confused as to why all of a sudden I am getting this problem.

Ok guys, I have checked into this a little further. I disconnected the main satellite cable and got a new short one and brought a TV upstairs near the dish. I disconnected it and noticed that there was a little discolouration on the cable output of the LNB. There is two outputs available, the other one looked like it was in good shape. BUT, when I took the dual LNB unit off the dish I noticed that there was water leaking out of it. Even with the new short cable, plugged into either output the result was still the same, not picking up the even transponders. Do you think that something within the LNB has shorted out with the water within it?? Does anyone think I am on the right track here with this? The satellite signal on the ODD transponders is strong so I don't think its a pointing issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)