Transponder problem with 501

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mwgiii

Gaming Guru & Pub Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Birmingham, AL
OK, I am stumped.

501 in bedroom does not show any channels on Transponder 32 on the 61.5 sat. All channels shows satellite signal lost message. Check switch shows everything fine. Point dish for 61.5/32 shows 100 steady signal strength. All channels from 61.5/25 come in fine.

Soft reboot and hard reboot have done nothing.

921 in living room has all channels on 61.5/32 coming in fine.

Suggestions?

I have 3.01 software version.

I pulled the plug on the 501 & 921 and left them unplugged for 5 minutes.

This reset the DP34 switch.

Plugged both receivers back in and voila, everything is working fine now.

So it was a DP34 switch problem.

Well that didn't work.

I have moved cables on the DP34 and I still can't solve my problem. The weird thing is the channels will work sometimes. I can't find a pattern.

SimpleSimon are you around for your input?

Since it's only the highest, even transponder, and you mentioned you have a DP34, I would guess a cable problem. In a DP system, the even transponders are at a higher frequnecy then the odds, so tr32 would be the highest frequency in your system. If possible, try plugging the 501 in where the 921 is plugged in now, if that works, you know you have a cable issue.

I still believe it's your cable run. Have you replaced that cable run?

The even transponders will be the highest frequency in your cable with TP2 (2150 Mhz) being the highest and TP32 (1650 MHz) being at the low end. The higher the frequency, the highest the cable loss.

Here is a great document (pg. 2) for transponder frequency allocation:

http://www.sonoradesign.com/tipsAndTricksPages/DiskPro/DiskPro_01.html

I always thought transponders were stacked odd low to high then even low to high. I say this, because every time I have seen a cable problem cause loss of transponders, the lost transponder was always the higher numbered, even transponders. Why would the signal towards the middle of the range go out before the higher frequency signals ??

JPointerWI said:
I always thought transponders were stacked odd low to high then even low to high. I say this, because every time I have seen a cable problem cause loss of transponders, the lost transponder was always the higher numbered, even transponders. Why would the signal towards the middle of the range go out before the higher frequency signals ??
I'm not sure, but am under the impression that the high band (even transponders) on a DishPro (NOT DPPlus) system is 'flipped'.

So, from lowest to highest, it would be odds 1-31, then evens 32-2.

No, I don't know why, and can't confirm it. And I also do not know if the even TPs on either band of a DPPlus system are flipped.

Either way it's pretty unlikely one transponder can be sucked out by bad or long cable. While it is possible an inline device such as a surge suppressor is doing it, my bet is a bad tuner.