Transponder Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

megaplushie

Aug 5, 2006
Hi all, I just joined SatelliteGuys after lurking around for a week or so, and have one question.

I would like to know why transponder 18's signal picks up in the low 60's and transponder 26 is as dead as a doorknob. I've got a single LNB dish that's pointed towards 101.

What comes from those transponders and are they important to me? I have a D11-100 with Total Choice Plus.

I'm just asking because it's been... bothering me. :D Thanks in advance for any help, and keep up the great work!

I am not 100% sure whats on what transponders as it really is not all that important because DirecTV can move any program channel to any transponder and your receiver will find it and automatically map it and tune to the correct channel for you (if you subscribe to it). Not all transponders are active and even some active ones are "spot beamed" (only available to specific zip codes) and would show you no signal or low signal. So no worries.

Welcome to SatGuys!

charper1 said:
I am not 100% sure whats on what transponders as it really is not all that important because DirecTV can move any program channel to any transponder and your receiver will find it and automatically map it and tune to the correct channel for you (if you subscribe to it). Not all transponders are active and even some active ones are "spot beamed" (only available to specific zip codes) and would show you no signal or low signal. So no worries.

Welcome to SatGuys!

That's kinda what I thought, too. Thanks! :)

megaplushie said:
Hi all, I just joined SatelliteGuys after lurking around for a week or so, and have one question.

I would like to know why transponder 18's signal picks up in the low 60's and transponder 26 is as dead as a doorknob. I've got a single LNB dish that's pointed towards 101.

What comes from those transponders and are they important to me? I have a D11-100 with Total Choice Plus.

I'm just asking because it's been... bothering me. :D Thanks in advance for any help, and keep up the great work!
I would imagine that the transponder showing zero is a locals channel that is not in your area.
As mentioned by Charper,
Channels get moved around as needed, as long as you are getting all the channels you sub to then I would not worry about it.

Jimbo

Transponders 18 and 26 are both local channel spot beams. The spot beam list for the 101 are 4, 12, 18, 20, 26 and 28. A zero on any of those transponders can be considered normal.

Newshawk said:
Transponders 18 and 26 are both local channel spot beams. The spot beam list for the 101 are 4, 12, 18, 20, 26 and 28. A zero on any of those transponders can be considered normal.

I have an AT9 dish located in Calgary Canada. I am getting a big variation across many of the national beam transponders on the 101 satellite. The transponders that are weakest are 8, 16, 24 and 32. Also to a certain extent transponders 6, 14, 22 and 30 are weak. Most of the others are reasonably strong. This variation in signal strength appears on all of my receivers. What could be causing this? I do not have such a variation on my other dish in the Los Angeles area. The problem is that my signal gets knocked out during a severe rainstorm on the weak transponders.

benj said:
It's the conus footprint. Don't think of it as a "problem" but more a "deterrent".
Why is the "footprint" different for different transponders? I thought they were all broadcast from the same satellite.

nmstough said:
Why is the "footprint" different for different transponders? I thought they were all broadcast from the same satellite.

Some transponders are used for local programming, to maintain seperation of markets as much as possible, as seen here: http://wvjw.info/dbs-beam/

Transponders can be adjusted, and refocused and are independant of each other, allowing them to 'aim' in different places, with different coverage sizes.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts