Transponders

axm007

Original poster
Feb 20, 2006
Can somebody explain transponders to me? I was trying to get some local US channels in Mexico.... they come off 119, but they are like in the 45, 89 transponders.... when I go to point dish page it only allows me to change the transponder up to 21? I get about a 75% signal down here. Any tips on getting local channels ( abx, nbc, cbs, fox, wb )????? Any help would be greatly appriciated!

A Dish receiver selects the transponder automatically when selecting the channel number. There is no way to select a different transponder. The point dish screen only gives you the signal strength of the individual transponders for aiming purposes only.

At 119° Dish only owns transponders 1-21. 22-32 are owned by DirecTV. There are no other DBS transponders. However, both Dish and DirecTV use spot beam transponders. Dish transponders 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9 at 119° have 5 different "spots" each allowing Dish to reuse the frequecies for more local channels. This means that they can use transponder 1 in 5 different parts of the country with 5 different sets of channels. The down side is that unless you are in the "spot" there is no possible way to receive the channels on that spot beam transponder. Not even with this antenna
aerial1.jpg

To differentiate these transponders from each other, Dish uses these high numbers like 45 and 89. If you look at www.dishchannelchart.com you can see which channels are on what spot beams.

See ya
Tony

Last edited:
So is there anything I can do to get the local channels down here. When you get a local package is it only for where you live? Maybe I could pull AZ or CA or maybe ever HI down here???

Any advise would be great!

As far as I know, you'd have to have the AZ or CA mailing address, as a minimum.

....and then if you did, you couldn't have Seattle local stations... :(

Last edited: