Tree in Way? Bad aiming? or both...

mloebl

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2004
MA
Just wanted to bounce this question out there for some advice. We moved from a condo with a totally unobstructed view of the sky, to a house on a wooded lot. Dish was installed in the beginning of June, and it's EA. Previous owners had dish, but replaced with FIOS bundle (so took down original dish). I am finding that anything on 72.7 tends to break up intermittently (some days much worse than others), and on my Hopper, reports around 28 - 30 for signal level when stable (tried out channels I watch.) 61.5 however tends to be rock solid, and on the channels I looked at, sits around 70 or so. There's a tree I am suspecting could be in the way that we had some quotes to take down (where it is, I don't feel comfortable taking down myself). I know it's hard to say without anyone seeing the situation in person... but wondering if it's the tree or poor aiming of the dish. Based on where the tree is, the installer thought it was close but figured it would clear it fine unless it suddenly shot up. However it has me perplexed that if the tree is directly in the way, that 61.5 should be as bad as 72.7, hence I'm questioning the aim. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

-Mike

If you were installed in June you are still under the 60 day warranty, call DISH 800-333-3474 for service. It's free.

Last edited:
...if the tree is directly in the way, that 61.5 should be as bad as 72.7, hence I'm questioning the aim...
The aim is for two satellites, approximately ten degrees apart (and a third, five degrees west of those two, if you have a 1000.4). For a tree to block both of them it would have to be pretty close, or very big and between the two. Or something like that.

Build or get a clinometer, with that and a compass you can see exactly what is in the way.

If you have an iPhone, there's an app for that! I think it's has an android app as well, search "dish pointer". I have the app and it's very nice just for that reason. It'll show where the sats line up, just hold the phone by your dish and you'll have your answer.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

If you have an iPhone, there's an app for that! I think it's has an android app as well, search "dish pointer". I have the app and it's very nice just for that reason. It'll show where the sats line up, just hold the phone by your dish and you'll have your answer.

But not too close to the dish or anything metal, will mess up the compass readings. :)

I can vouch for the app's usefulness, see the attached photo which tells me exactly which limbs are in the way, and the required settings to get what you're pointed directly at.
IMG_0390.jpg

Thanks! Ill have to check out the apps for my Android. Though I can't get near the dish as it's above the attic on a 2 story house, and I don't have a ladder high enough :( I think I may go both routes. I had another quote today for tree removal, which I have to get the power lines cleared off anyways, so taking down this tree won't cost me much more. I'll also have dish come out and check alignment after that's done if no improvement. I have a feeling that's the first excuse they'd use when they show up. The tree is maybe 40 - 50' from the house, and my guess is at least that tall. I do know that when it's not windy, reception is fine. When it's windy (like a tstorm not in the LOS) it will break up on 72.7.

-Mike

You don't have to be beside the dish to use the app.

Stand behind the dish on the ground and look at the sky with your android phone, the camera shows the dish and the trees adn will superimpose the satellite locations on the picture.

I do know that when it's not windy, reception is fine. When it's windy (like a tstorm not in the LOS) it will break up on 72.7.
There you go... It's almost certain that the tree branches are your problem.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I just tried out that Dish pointer app (thanks for the tip on that!!!!!), and I'm pretty certain now it is that tree. Using the app, looks like 61.5 may be a bit left of 72.7 from here, and 61.5 seems to be clearing the trees. However the tree I suspect has a branch that sticks out aprox where it says 72.7 is. Would also explain why it works unless windy :) Guess this makes the tree take-down decision easier, and worst case we get some extra fire wood ;-)

Thanks again everyone!

-Mike

If the tree branches are in your power lines, call your power company and tell them the tree has grown into the lines. I know here in Wisconsin, the local power company will remove a tree for nothing if it's in the lines. Would be a lot cheaper for you. Worth a try!

Jimmerinwi said:

Yeppers. I have DPPro for iPhone and the galaxy tab. The iPhone app is sooo much more accurate it ain't funny. That could be due to internal compass quality also. Worth every nickel on the iPhone.

If the tree branches are in your power lines, call your power company and tell them the tree has grown into the lines. I know here in Wisconsin, the local power company will remove a tree for nothing if it's in the lines. Would be a lot cheaper for you. Worth a try!
Around here, they'll just butcher the tree with ZERO regard for how it looks. I've seen trees with the top halves of the 'circle' chopped off when the lines are above or an entire side taken off when the lines are on the side.

I second that. The power company hired a tree trimming(butcher) service. I have a large maple tree in my front yard. They cut it almost back to the trunk above the level of the lines, a good 30 ft from the power lines.
Hire your own tree trimming service to clear the few branches that may be interferring.

When I did some research on their site, they said they were my responsibility unless there was an actual issue... TBH one of my big concerns is a branch that appears to be defying gravity as it's got to be 40 - 50' long, at a 45 degree angle and looks like it's floating about 20' over the powerlines. I'm not sure how the previous owners lucked out with that one with the ice storm and the freak snow storm last year. It's probably cheaper for them to let the tree fall, put up the line again, then to pay a tree trimming company to maintain it.

I had considered trimming the tree instead of taking it down, but it would looks pretty awful as the branch in the way, is literally a third of the top of the tree. I can use the firewood anyways, so it's not a problem to take down the tree :) I think I found my area for firewood for the next few years.

-Mike

Yeppers. I have DPPro for iPhone and the galaxy tab. The iPhone app is sooo much more accurate it ain't funny. That could be due to internal compass quality also. Worth every nickel on the iPhone.

I use the DP for android and have found it to be accurate, or at least close enough. Sure beats being at the campground in the woods, looking like an idiot with a compass, level and protractor. Walking around while the other campers watch, and wonder what I am doing while I am looking for holes through the trees. Until I pull out my tripod and dish they probably think I'm with the US geological survey or something.

Jakester3 said:
I use the DP for android and have found it to be accurate, or at least close enough. Sure beats being at the campground in the woods, looking like an idiot with a compass, level and protractor. Walking around while the other campers watch, and wonder what I am doing while I am looking for holes through the trees. Until I pull out my tripod and dish they probably think I'm with the US geological survey or something.

Yeah. I think my tablet compass is on crack. But the iPhone is a life saver. Cut my point and tweak time by a huge amount.

Align a site is also a good tool. It's best when perms mounted to your travel long dish.

I'm having a similar 'line of sight' issue. I've had two installers at the house in the last day who refused to install Dish service due to tree branches blocking the line of sight. We called the Power company to come out and clear some branches out of the way, all accept for one hanger that seems to be right in the box where the installers want to plant the dish. One installer informed me that Dish needs a 40 degree window to operate properly. How obstructive can one medium sized hanger (roughly 25-30 feet in the air, hanging down with moderate leaf action) really be when it comes to signal interference? The other trees in the area are very tall and over a half block away, can they really be that obstructive?

I'm having a similar 'line of sight' issue. I've had two installers at the house in the last day who refused to install Dish service due to tree branches blocking the line of sight. We called the Power company to come out and clear some branches out of the way, all accept for one hanger that seems to be right in the box where the installers want to plant the dish. One installer informed me that Dish needs a 40 degree window to operate properly. How obstructive can one medium sized hanger (roughly 25-30 feet in the air, hanging down with moderate leaf action) really be when it comes to signal interference? The other trees in the area are very tall and over a half block away, can they really be that obstructive?

Extremely, just because the branch is not in your line of sight at the moment does not mean if will not cause you problems. If it is long enough, moderate to strong wind will move it thru your line causing signal to drop out then return. Or if out of your line but overhead, any rain could cause it to drop into your line again causing outages. Both these cases will cause you countless frustrations by the countless interruptions while trying to watch tv and the skipping that will occur on your dvr recordings. A search thru the posts here regarding the number of these type of outages should tell you how important it is to have as much of the area cleared and to be kept cleared. Knowledgeable installers would have you to not only clear what would interfere now, but trim back several feet, just so you don't have the exact same problem next year or the year after. I live in a very wooded area and and have gone through this many times now, it becomes so frustrating at times that if I have the choice, I would have the offending tree(s) cut down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts