Trees and Signal Strength

Springtx

Original poster
Jul 6, 2006
Tuesday I will have the 622 and the 1000 dish installed. I have a lot of trees to
see thru, what is the lowes signal I would need to receive Good HD pictures?

Springtx said:
So anything over 45 should be ok?

If it is like D* I wouldn't accept anything under 90 or you will be getting a lot of rain fade. Also make sure a tree will not block the signal during the windy events. It has been my experience however if they see any trees near the line of sight they will book it. Good Luck! :up

I just moved my dish over about 15 feet to avoid a large oak tree. I upgraded my dish in March and the tech had a devil of a time getting a signal from all 3 sats. He moved the dish 3 times before finding a "good" signal. I barely get 50% on my HD stations and get alot of pixelation when it is in the middle of the day. The tech said I needed either to cut down the tree, not a real option, or move the dish, which I did. I never in the past 8 years of having Dish had a real problem with my old 500 dish looking through the same tree, but with this new 1000 it has become very sensitive to signal. I now have an unobstructive view of the sky and hope to have better signal strength. I need to have the tech come out on Monday to repeak my system. I spent alot of time trying to get all three and could only get 2 sats. I can't seem to 110 but I am bringing in 119 and 129. I will let you know how the move went.

The 622 is very sensitive to tree especially HD channel. Make sure there is absolute clear line of sight otherwise you will have constant pixelation

Didn't see your location. If you need to get set up with the 129 sat you'll need to allow for signal fade every 20-30 minutes just because the sat can't hold it's aim. In the Seattle area I have two 500's so I can peak the maximum signal for the 129. My weakest transponder (10) brings a maximum strength of 72. Most of the time I don't loose the channel when the signal drops (it can loose 20-30 points) but it is subject to pixelation. If you are lucky enough to get the 61.5 Sat as long as you are at 60-65 you should be fine. And some trees do effect things more than others. Evergreens are the worst. My neighbor's cherry tree seems to have no effect.

any real installer will not install the satellite pointing through a tree anyway... for me 80 or under is unacceptable... cept for maybe 129... just cause that bird sucks anyway

birddoggy said:
Ha, I guess I should have clarified on that... a real installer won't point it through a tree... at a customer's house :p
I cant say much though... my 61.5 is also pointing through a tree.... i just dont watch those channels when its raining...:)

Ditto here!! I won't install lookinfg through a tree.
But my 61.5 is just freaking unbelievable. My buddy, in the SAT business for 25 years came out to see it. He still doesn't believe it. It only pixelizes in heavy rains.

fred

I installed a 3-dish solution yesterday to avoid trees. 119 and 110 are in the 90s for signal. 129 showing lower 60-80 cause it's a piece of sh*t. Will probably go back and change it out for a bigger dish when I have it. 34 switch is right behind customers TV. :)

Can't get signals through a tree, you have to go though a space in the trees or branches. Now, some dishes look like they are aiming at the tree, but angles can be misleading

I had an installer that didn't want to go on my roof so he installed the dish on the side of the house in the winter. Looked like the dish was pointing directly into a birch tree but he assured me the sats were elevated much higher. All of the sudden I can't pick up any HD channels on 199. Replaced the 622 thinking that was the problem but to no avail. Finally had him come out and put it back on the roof. No problems now.

I installed my own Dish 1000 a couple of months ago and a week ago I had my 622 installed by Dish. The installed adjusted the 1000 a little (focused on the 119) until that signal was at 100 on one of the transponders. The 622 did it's down load after he activated it and all of the HD channels were there. We flipped through a few and because my wife and I needed to get someplace, called everything good.

Later that night when I was tuning in all of the HD channels I found that I was not getting 6 of them and the picture was pixilation on a couple of more. I called Dish and they scheduled a follow-up problem ticket for last Friday. On Friday, 4 technicians showed up around 4 PM, one of which was the supervisor. They tweaked the dish again and after doing a check, I had a few signal strengths on the 129 that were under 50. The supervisor wasn't happy and had one of the techs check the sight line and he found that my roof overhang was partly blocking the satellite view. They spent another hour moving and remounting and aiming the dish until the worst signal strength I got on the 129 was 68. He said because the 129 isn’t a powerful satellite you need at least a solid 55 to get the 129 to get a good signal.

I'm sure glad the supervisor was there because if he wasn't, I think I’d still be having problems with the 129 satellite.

omeletpants said:
I had an installer that didn't want to go on my roof so he installed the dish on the side of the house in the winter. Looked like the dish was pointing directly into a birch tree but he assured me the sats were elevated much higher. All of the sudden I can't pick up any HD channels on 199. Replaced the 622 thinking that was the problem but to no avail. Finally had him come out and put it back on the roof. No problems now.

Anyway to mount a dish on a roof without actually putting holes in it? No TV reception is worth a leaky roof. It seems they could make a metal cover to hug the arch of the roof and it could be secured with some sort of glue.

igator99 said:
Anyway to mount a dish on a roof without actually putting holes in it? No TV reception is worth a leaky roof. It seems they could make a metal cover to hug the arch of the roof and it could be secured with some sort of glue.

I have had 2 dish mounts on my roof, installed by a non-pro (ME) that have not leaked ever; nearly 10 years. I am sure a real pro could do an even better job! Do panic so much.

However they do make what you seek: you can go with a non-penetrating roof mount, an eve mount or a chimney mount. Any installer that says he WONT install on a typical residential roof, should be sent away for a real install professional. IMHO.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)