local finally - sign up question

iml

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 23, 2004
It seems DISH is finally getting my locals (all but ABC), zip is 78415

I was thinking about finally signing up because I got a call out of the blue from some installer saying they give an additional $10 off the current promo.

However, I am not sure if they are legit or not.

Seems the mass of offers out there can get confusing.

I basically want DishHD gold with 4 TVs (1 of them HDTV). I would like a DVR for the HDTV. I read that the DVR will serve two TVs. Do they have a SD box that does 2 TVs or would I need two additional boxes in addition to the HD DVR box.

Also, the installer said they are doing free install, $5.00 for locals $6 for the DVR and $6 for each additional TV. The next time I talked to him he said they charge $199 for the DVR.

So now I am confused as to what the actual current deal out there is. If anyone is able to wade through all the funky promos let me know. :)

In summary, looking for DishHD gold, 1 HDTV, 3 SDTVs, DVR for HD content, with locals. Never subscribed to Dish before.

you should get the vip622 that will be for the hd tv i would get a sd dvr for another room and two more sd for the remainder two. using the vip622 on the hd tv only gives you more power pip/record flexability. the vip622 is $199.99 and you should get $200.00 back in $20.00mo credits ($10 for hd and $10 more just for signing up!) install is free. there are new dishes coming out any day see if you can get one (1000+/1000.2/500+) locals are $5. dvr fee is $5 for each dvr unless you get the top package then its waved. keep a phoneline connected to avoid the $5 phone fee. the vip622 would be considered your first box each box there after is $5 for the lease and service for that box. make shire you check out alacart stuff like super stations and sport packages if you have a rv get a waver to put a box in it that receiver would then get you the east and west networks (distant networks) this is $5. you should have the choice of wire color black of white. pick a weekday early morning so the installer wont rush the job. its hot in the afternoon and very busy weekends. i am told you now limited to 6 leased tuners (not boxes) this will put you at the limit. i highly recommend the protection plan. i have used mine many times with no hassles and its saved me houndreds of dollars. i also recommend the first month to add everything see what you like and go from there. about this installer offering $10 off? $10 off what? i would order directly from dish myself. they do have some kind of pizza deal right now. free pizza for a year! i would call dish by pass the system and talk to tech support. they are American they know whats going on and can really help you better than the regular call centers can. i hope this helps! and :welcome to dish network!!!

basically you will get everything you want, and will get $20 back per month for the first 10 months... and your initial cost is $199 upgrade fee for the 622... I would recommend, go to www.dishnetwork.com "click on the Dish Builder" link and enter your preferences... it will show you everything you need to know

Thanks for the replies. I talked to that installer again, they are from american satellite. His "deals" changed to basically exactly what Dish has on their website. Should I just call dish direct?

Also, do I need to ask specifically for the new dishes? I just found out they don't have all my locals yet so I am going to want to try to get OTA digital locals somehow.

The installer told me I only needed 2 boxes since the 622 dvr box will do 2 televisions. I am guessing that maybe that isn't a good idea from your post. With 3 SDTV and 1 HDTV, I should do the 622 and 3 other boxes? (total of 2 DVRs)? I suppose I could get by with just the DVR on the HDTV if I can get my Tivo to work with the standard box.

iml said:
Thanks for the replies. I talked to that installer again, they are from american satellite. His "deals" changed to basically exactly what Dish has on their website. Should I just call dish direct?

Also, do I need to ask specifically for the new dishes? I just found out they don't have all my locals yet so I am going to want to try to get OTA digital locals somehow.

The installer told me I only needed 2 boxes since the 622 dvr box will do 2 televisions. I am guessing that maybe that isn't a good idea from your post. With 3 SDTV and 1 HDTV, I should do the 622 and 3 other boxes? (total of 2 DVRs)? I suppose I could get by with just the DVR on the HDTV if I can get my Tivo to work with the standard box.

I would go thru dish directly, Then if you have a problem down the road they might work better with you then a local dealer. Alot of times Dealers have seperate contracts that you have to sign also.

:hatsoff: yes i would go direct with dishnetwork! grab a promo card from the other thread and see if that helps. every step of the way you will need to double check everything about your install! the new dishes are over due we are all checking every few days. I'm shire someone here will post it. dish has a very good over the air antenna they will install with your new system for $50 extra. the vip622 has a over the air tuner built in. i never had tivo so i don't know if it will work. but how about a vip622 on the hd tv then a 625 (sd/dvr/single tuner) on another tv then two regular boxes for the rest!(you can specify you want to use the vip622 for a single tv) this should coast you a $250 upgrade fee with free installation. go with the everything pack to save on the mo dvr fees. don't forget you get $200 back in $20mo credits!!! total install upgrade is $50!!! i should be a salesman lol I'm really surprised at the low posts for this thread and throughout the board. but i hope this helps.

remember I am doing the HD package so there is no everything pack

It looks like HD Gold would work for me at 69.99 +5.00 locals - 20.00 for 10 months.

The equipment fees are only $16.96 so it doesn't make sense to go to the plat. which costs $30 more to save $11.96.

I didn't see anything about a total install upgrade for $50.

The dish builder shows me at $71.95 and $249.98 in one-time setup fees, $199.99 lease upgrade fee and $49.99 account activation fee.

I just read on the other thread they charge $50 to put in OTA antenna so that would put me at $300 install basically and $72 plus tax a month for 10 months.

update:

I did the live thing on dish website...

Guy told me they don't install OTA in my area at all. I would have to do it myself or find a local installer.

In addition, he told me for 1 HD, 3 SD, I would need to get the 622 and the 625 and it wouldn't be more than just those 2 boxes becuase they can't do 5 tuners without a special setup fee.

Do the dual tuners work ok on 2 different televisions? I have HDTV downstairs and 3 SDTV upstairs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts