Trees in SW View

mjtate10

Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
I want to get Dish Network, but i live in a fairly wooded neighboorhood. How clear of a view is needed? Can their be some interference with trees and branches, or does it need to be 90 - 100% clear?

No one can really answer.... One thing people don't normally realize is the dish is really "looking" much higher in the sky than it appears to be looking.

Trees and branches will do more than simply "interfere", they can block the signal 100%. NOTHING can be in the way. If you get a system installed in the winter, with no leaves on trees, come spring when the leaves grow, your signal can be blocked (any competent installer won't install in this scenario though).

Very few installers and technicians have the skills of a surveyor. As one, who was once a surveyor, using a surveyor's transit or theodolite, I have examined many sites, including working and treed out installs. Very few, I've found, had taken full advantage of the best mounting location.

My installer told me that it's really the top of the dish where the signal reflects off of... and also that it comes in at a higher angle than you'd think (I'm in PA).

I want to get Dish Network, but i live in a fairly wooded neighboorhood. How clear of a view is needed? Can their be some interference with trees and branches, or does it need to be 90 - 100% clear?
Make sure the line of sight is clear..windblown swaying trees can be as little as an annoyance to as a serious as a total interrruption of signal..
My strongest suggestion is to trim the trees if possible....If not, try to find a more suitable location for the Dish.

Very few installers and technicians have the skills of a surveyor. As one, who was once a surveyor, using a surveyor's transit or theodolite, I have examined many sites, including working and treed out installs. Very few, I've found, had taken full advantage of the best mounting location.

Suunto Tandem Inclinometer - Between the knowledge of learning where your satellites are and the latter = You have it or you don't.

Now whether or not the surveyor has the drive to trench out 200' of cable and install a pole is another.

My installer told me he couldn't guarentee a 6 month window. Evidentally, they are supposted to be able to guarentee at least a 12 month window. He installed anyway...I told him I wasn't getting the 18 month contract. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

But, maybe we will still be able to have dish in the spring/summer...

Check the degrees with a compass. For inclination, 0 degrees is straight out in front of you, 90 degrees is straight up, and 45 degrees is halfway in between. Use your arm to point in these directions. Then if you inclination is 38 degrees, it would be a little bit below the 45 direction. See if the way you are pointing is clear.

I'm not sure that will be accurate. The angle, say 38' from your example, is what you set on the dish's indicator. I believe that indicator is adjusted or compensated and the dish is still looking higher. Then again, if things are clear at 38' and there's nothing above, you'll be fine. If the top of the tree line is right there at 38', you might still be okay though....

I've heard numbers like 15-20' higher is what the dish is actually looking at.

Suunto Tandem Inclinometer - Between the knowledge of learning where your satellites are and the latter = You have it or you don't.

Now whether or not the surveyor has the drive to trench out 200' of cable and install a pole is another.

The eye is often a poor judge of proportions, distances, and angles. Although the Suunto Tandum hand compas and clinometer might be accurate to 1/2 degree by intself. with such a short sight radius and an unsteady hand hold and a swinging compass needle, it's easily to get a plus or minus 3-5 degrees on the azmuth value. Also, when switching to the clinometer function, it would be difficult to accurately locate the exact azmuth position of the satellite aperature.

I've seen many a disaster, where grading operator's eyed the topography to grade a project, instead of using a sighting level and a rod.

I've never heard of anyone taking out surveying tools to check line of sight. Which doesn't mean it's a bad idea...

Also keep in mind the SKEW. You are NOT looking only in the DIRECTION the ARM is pointing necessarily! If you have a heavy skew to the right (for example) then you are actually looking to the RIGHT of where the ARM is POINTING. It's hard to explain... But it's critical to know about in tight situations. In fact, if your elevation on the dish reads 34 degrees and your skew is 115... Then you're true elevation from the horizon is going to be slightly less than 34 degrees.

I have been using my method for years with my RV and many times get a signal without further adjustments. If you can estimate inclination with your arms, it works for finding a spot to setup your dish.

Having some experience with geophysics and geodesy. I'd say that the ideal tool would be a builder's level with it's base tilted to the exact latitude of the site location with your longitude degrees mark pointed to actual south. Using the alidade or scope the entire Clarke Belt or equatorial arc can be viewed. For example the 119 West Longitude position will show up exactly as 119 on the base circle, and there is where the satellite line of sight will be located.

This is the basic equatorial mount for any astronomical telescope. If you have a computerized telescope, it can automatically be programmed to view the entire Clarke Belt Arc, just by swing the telescope on it's horizontal circle.

Last edited:
My suggestion would be to try it, if you think there is any chance at all. I was kind of doubtful, but my installer found a place on the VERY top...highest point of my house and aimed it. Yeah, I don't get 100% signal strength, but I stay at around 80% - 85%. I do realize that my signal goes out a little more often in VERY bad weather than it would if I had 100% strength, but with the trees around my place, I am just glad I have the service!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)