trees to the south, trees to the east

stefan.k

Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
Dallas
I had an installer come to my house and couldn't get a signal to the south or southeast. Are there any providers in the DFW area that have satalites in the S/W, W, or NW direction?

Thanks.

I had an installer come to my house and couldn't get a signal to the south or southeast. Are there any providers in the DFW area that have satalites in the S/W, W, or NW direction?

Thanks.

Satellites need to orbit above the equator in order to be stationary. Otherwise they would appear to move north and south during the day and you would need a mount that tracked them. Therefore everything must be in a generally southerly direction. Further, both DISH and DTV use satellites at about the same locations, so the angles would be the same.

You need to cut some trees, or go with a cable or IP solution.

Further, both DISH and DTV use satellites at about the same locations, so the angles would be the same.
Perhaps on your home planet.

Here on Planet Earth, DIRECTV comes from slots around 101W. DISH Network comes from slots around 72.7W or 119W.

You have a much better chance of getting LOS with DISH Network than you do with DIRECTV. In the DFW area, the two looks at DISH are 73 degrees apart. If you're up against a wall to the South, you're screwed in any case.

That was a bit uncalled for. You are technically correct, and I considered that, but the guy said he was blocked when the installer tried both S and SE. That meant the installer already tried both 110 and 61.5 (which are where the locals are). If he isn't getting 110, he isn't going to get full DTV either.

You are technically correct, and I considered that, but the guy said he was blocked when the installer tried both S and SE.
Assuming that the OP lives in Dallas, Texas, 110W is SW of their location (>203 degrees).

I'm guessing that the OP had a site survey by someone representing DIRECTV and for that they are dead in the water; 99W is pretty close to South. If, as the OP claims, they are blocked to the South and Southeast, there's a fair chance that they have a view to the Southwest, no?

If the OP lives in Dallas, Oregon, it's a non-starter for both DIRECTV and DISH Network.

I've a similar probelm. I subscribe to Philippine based ''Dream Satellite'. They once used a satellite which was around 090 degrees (E) or another at 124 degrees (SE), but now they have changed to aKorean based and it's around 230 degrees (SW).
At my Philippine home I was able to re-position my dish.
However I also have another box and a dish in my SE China apartment. Butr I can no longer see the new SW satellite. I can only re-position my dish to face between 270 and 070 degrees.
My question is this.......what other satellites are available to me between these 2 directions (in effect from West through to North East)? It doesn't have to be Dream satellite!

That's going to be a tough one for this group as we are 99% U.S. based subscribers. Don't have a lot of experience with Asian sats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)