Tribune Broadcasting Company Blacks Out DISH Customers in 33 Markets;

Which makes absolutely no sense.
It's the same channels.

I don't understand how you can still broadcast WPIX anywhere on Dish if the agreement isn't in place.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

It's the same channels.
I don't understand how you can still broadcast WPIX anywhere on Dish if the agreement isn't in place.

Different agreements.
One is for nation wide retransmission as a Superstation.
The other is for retransmission into the local market.

Much like sports blackout. ESPN has the rights for the national market, but some regional network has the rights in their own market.
So while the nation watch the game on ESPN, you have to watch it on the local station that carries that regional network.

Still the same game, same announcers, same video signal from the game.

Then it's possible that Tribune wouldn't necessarily be able to hold them in the negotiations the same way as the others, and were forced to allow them to stay up.

Then it's possible that Tribune wouldn't necessarily be able to hold them in the negotiations the same way as the others, and were forced to allow them to stay up.
Well then I don't understand why they aren't available still for purchase?

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Because it's a LOCAL station there, not a Superstation.

So all of them are on outside their home markets where they are in the Superstation package.

They pulled all of the Tribune locals out of the guide.

Just to clarify it appears they pulled the Tribune Superstations out of the guide in the Market they are in. I still have the The regular tribune stations in the guide.

Just to clarify it appears they pulled the Tribune Superstations out of the guide in the Market they are in. I still have the The regular tribune stations in the guide.

It's only a local in that market.
That's why I daid Tribune locals.

Everywhere else it's a Superstation.

It's only a local in that market.
That's why I daid Tribune locals.

Everywhere else it's a Superstation.

Yes, I did get that but there are other Tribune locals like my Fox that are not pulled from the schedule. That's why I clarified it's only Superstations in the market they are in - that would mean they are local there that is pulled. In an email someone asked me if what you meant was all Tribune locals were pulled from the schedule because that would be very bad sign.

There may not be such requirement for the provider to offer them. It's really a win win for Dish if true.

As far as I know only locals are subject to must carry rules. No requirement to carry any other channels. And outside of their local DMA they loose don't have to be carried any more than other cable channels,

Yes, I did get that but there are other Tribune locals like my Fox that are not pulled from the schedule. That's why I clarified it's only Superstations in the market they are in - that would mean they are local there that is pulled. In an email someone asked me if what you meant was all Tribune locals were pulled from the schedule because that would be very bad sign.

My bad then. I thought they pulled all the Tribune locals out of the guide. Guess I missunderstood the uplink reports.

If the other locals are still in the guide then pulling the ones they did must have another reason,

Maybe something with the way the guide data is handled, so they can't show different I info I different places. So they set it to hide in the local DMA so they could show the actual guide on the superstations.

Reactions: Tampa8
Ok, genius, instead of just whining, show us where the mismatches are.

Certainly not in the package levels. I compared them after removing all the shopping, religious, public interest and audio only channels. I even added NFL Network to the list since Dish is in dispute at the moment.

Channels DTV has in Ultimate that Dish currently does not in AT250:

ASPiRE HD
AUDIENCE®
BBC World News HD
CNBC World
Discovery Life
MAVTV
NFL Network
Newsmax
Ovation TV
REVOLT HD
Sprout
TV One
World Harvest Television

Channels Dish has in AT250 that DTV does not in Ultimate:

beIN Sport (BEIN) HD
TheBlaze (BLAZE)
EPIX Drive-In (EPXDR)
FOX Movie Channel (FXM) HD
Hallmark Movies and Mysteries (HMM) HD
Longhorn Network (LHN) HD
MoviePlex (MPLEX)
MTV Live (MTVL) HD
Outdoor Channel (OTDCH) HD
Ride TV (RIDE)
Smithsonian Channel (SMITH) HD
The Movie Channel Xtra - West (TMCXW)
TV Games Network 2 (TVG2)

It's a wash, as far as packages go. So what else?

There are other channel differences. Dish has Get TV, I believe only in AT250, plus they have Cozi & Laff.Those channels may not be that important to many, but for me in the sixties I like watching all of those older shows. BBC World will be nice when we get it. CNBC World would also be okay to have, but none of the others your list are important.

There are other channel differences. Dish has Get TV, I believe only in AT250, plus they have Cozi & Laff.Those channels may not be that important to many, but for me in the sixties I like watching all of those older shows. BBC World will be nice when we get it. CNBC World would also be okay to have, but none of the others your list are important.

That would make his point (and mine) then.

My bad then. I thought they pulled all the Tribune locals out of the guide. Guess I missunderstood the uplink reports.

If the other locals are still in the guide then pulling the ones they did must have another reason,

Maybe something with the way the guide data is handled, so they can't show different I info I different places. So they set it to hide in the local DMA so they could show the actual guide on the superstations.

Yep that was what was confusing, it's only the channels that are Superstations, when they were the actual local in the market that were taken out of the guide.
After activating the channels for the Supers, they could have made it "Red" in those local markets so you could not watch it but it would have remained in the guide and perhaps they can't even let the guide be seen when in a dispute as you mentioned. So they hid it. (The guide data seen if you have OTA for any of the Tribune channels I believe are added separately by DISH)

Well then I don't understand why they aren't available still for purchase?

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

My understanding is the superstations in most cases competes with your local CW or MY network in local markets. Since both networks have increased their coverage areas footprint the superstations copy rights issues are now becoming a issue with local markets

As of last night, I'm finally able to watch NBC! I got my ota antenna installed yesterday that I had to purchase because of distance from towers. First time I was able to watch the local 10pm news on nbc since the blackout! Now, i'm just waiting on the OTA usb adapter to get back in stock....

Reactions: Tampa8
It's the same channels.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

There is no agreement necessary to carry the superstations outside of their local markets. DISH simply pays a copyright fee. The real mystery is why they went away brielfy and then returned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)