Tribune Broadcasting Company Blacks Out DISH Customers in 33 Markets;

Glitchy how? I'm about to switch to the H3 and have to use the OTA feed to DVR the limited CW shows I watch since Dish only carries SD feed of our CW channel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
As in unwatchable but I hear it is getting worked on....

Glitchy how? I'm about to switch to the H3 and have to use the OTA feed to DVR the limited CW shows I watch since Dish only carries SD feed of our CW channel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In that case, you should probably wait.

chat today and they were out of antennas. put on order and gave 5 dollar credit for one month

Received the same offer, didn't ask for an antenna though. Thought they would offer at least 3 months credit, but the lady I spoke with seemed pretty confident this will be resolved soon (I agree). Told them in our opinion they are more than welcome to ditch WGN, we just want our FOX back

My DVR is all messed up even though I *HAVE* an antenna with Dish for the POS Tribune station WNEP in my area that is affected by the blackout. I have perfect OTA reception 85% no break up. Why is it my DVR is messed up you ask? Dish network wiped out all of the guide information and the Dish VIP722 DVR that I have does not take PSIP data for its guide info. So on both the dish supplied blacked out WNEP *PLUS* the self supplied (appears yellow on the guide) WNEP has "WNEP removed ABC 16" as the program listings so my DVR cannot identify the programs that it needs to record! When I tune to the OTA channel I see normal programming and if I press info it says "WNEP removed ABC 16" for the program info. If I tuned to the dish supplied version of WNEP I get the 7 minute video BS loop that refuses to explain why guide data is ALSO BEING BLACKED OUT. So I have no choice but to set up manual recordings all over the place and use Titan Tv just to find out what's on WNEP and if the show is a repeat or not. This is BS. Since when was Dish Network required to wipe out *GUIDE DATA* and/or why does the box not use the over the air guide data? What is the purpose of supplying us antennas if you can't do something as simple as providing us guide data for the OTA channels that we can receive with them? Also, does HOPPER work on channels recorded from OTA signals. If not, I an certainly NOT going to pay for the upgrade at this point. And what about my DVR fee?

Since when was Dish Network required to wipe out *GUIDE DATA* and/or why does the box not use the over the air guide data?

See Scott's post #74 above (http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3907306/ )...it's their position that the stations own the guide data, hence the removal.

A lot of folks make the same argument about them picking up the PSIP (over the air) guide data, but Dish has never done so to my knowledge. Given Dish's general lack of enthusiasm as far as supporting OTA, we are probably lucky to have what guide data we still get. Subchannels especially.

Also, does HOPPER work on channels recorded from OTA signals. If not, I an certainly NOT going to pay for the upgrade at this point.

You can view Live OTA without issue on all the Hoppers and you can record without issue on the Hopper 1 and 2, but there is a bug with the newest Hopper 3 model that causes very frequent audio drops and video pixeling in OTA recordings. Basically, like Bobby said above...OTA recordings are pretty much unwatchable right now until the bug is resolved. Either way...you wouldn't get any more guide data on the Hopper than you do on the 722. Uses the same sources for guide data.

My DVR is all messed up even though I *HAVE* an antenna with Dish for the POS Tribune station WNEP in my area that is affected by the blackout. I have perfect OTA reception 85% no break up. Why is it my DVR is messed up you ask? Dish network wiped out all of the guide information and the Dish VIP722 DVR that I have does not take PSIP data for its guide info. So on both the dish supplied blacked out WNEP *PLUS* the self supplied (appears yellow on the guide) WNEP has "WNEP removed ABC 16" as the program listings so my DVR cannot identify the programs that it needs to record! When I tune to the OTA channel I see normal programming and if I press info it says "WNEP removed ABC 16" for the program info. If I tuned to the dish supplied version of WNEP I get the 7 minute video BS loop that refuses to explain why guide data is ALSO BEING BLACKED OUT. So I have no choice but to set up manual recordings all over the place and use Titan Tv just to find out what's on WNEP and if the show is a repeat or not. This is BS. Since when was Dish Network required to wipe out *GUIDE DATA* and/or why does the box not use the over the air guide data? What is the purpose of supplying us antennas if you can't do something as simple as providing us guide data for the OTA channels that we can receive with them? Also, does HOPPER work on channels recorded from OTA signals. If not, I an certainly NOT going to pay for the upgrade at this point. And what about my DVR fee?
READ POST #74 you'll see the answer

Sure, i may not be affected by this dispute thanks to leaving Dish for DirecTV but disputes like these keeps me coming back to the Dish forum.

Anyway, DFW has not been lucky with the disputes Dish has had in the last two years.

November 2014: KTVT CBS 11 and DFW indy KTXA 21 went dark for 1 whole night due the Dish-CBS dispute, which was resolved.

October 2015: Tegna dispute resulted with WFAA the local ABC station being off the air for almost 1 whole weekend.

Early 2016: Dish was possibly facing a blackout with Fox which would had resulted in the blackout of local Fox O&O KDFW Fox 4 and it MyNetworkTV sister KDFI My27. But the blackout was avoid when Fox and Dish settled their AutoHop related lawsuit which occurred during a period before the agreement that was signed in 2010 expired.

March 2016: NBCUniversal's contract was to expire and they threaten blackout of their channels including KXAS NBC 5 and KXTX Telemundo 39. But Dish and NBCUniversal went to arbitration to settle this and we still have any new news on it on whether they reached a deal for long term carriage.

June 2016: the current on going Dish-Tribune resulted in a ongoing blackout in which is on it's second day which resulted in the blackout of KDAF CW 33.

So who's next in the DFW TX TV market to have a dispute with Dish, my money's on Univision.

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk
DTV had a 4-day dispute with Tribune as well back in 2012. I wonder if that contract is due to expire soon.

Here's what they're missing though... the guide data is INCLUDED in the OTA signal. No, there may not be 7 days worth (probably a day's worth if you're lucky), but how many days do you NEED? As I understand it, that PSIP information should be free for the OTA tuner to be used (the stations don't charge Samsung or Sony to use the PSIP in their TVs). Even a couple hours worth of guide should keep timers functioning.

Dish doesn't need to send the guide data over satellite. It's received from the station via the antenna.
As you point out, with PSIP, you're lucky to get 1 day's worth of guide data. With a DVR, that's real lame. In fact, for 99% of the time, it's almost useless.

As an option, Dish could add a checkbox, off by default, for "Use OTA guide data for local channels". Why would Dish want to program that, test it, support it, etc for primarily only used during outages ?

By the way, they use/read the PSIP data when the customer uses the OTA option. Part of PSIP is a value/field called TSID. That is a unique value that tells Dish what channel it is. Dish uses that to a) match the -01 channel (OTA) with the satellite-provided channel and b) to supply, in some cases, sub-channel guide data.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I don't believe that guide data line of BS from Dish. If so why do they still pass the subchannel guide data on a disputed affiliate. They pulled the Tulsa CBS Kotv and CW kqcw HD feeds from griffin last year and yet the cw subchannel feed on Kotv still had guide data as well as the Thistv subchannel on kqcw. It's been that way for every dispute.

Sent from my iPhone

Reactions: Troch77 and Hall
I tried calling and online chat. Both times I got reps that read or posted froma script about the Tribune dispute. Both insisted that the superstations were cut off like the locals. Neither one seemed to undertand I as simply asking about compensation for the lack of 3 of 5 superstations.

Im wondering how the Tivo Roamio OTA and other OTA DVRs get their guide data. The Roamio OTA guide is 2 weeks so it must be getting it thru the internet. Possibly Zap2it. That is what my Windows Media Center HTPC used when I was using a network cable card adapter and it worked just fine.
Dish should give us the option to get the locals OTA on the Hopper instead of over Sat. And that should save us some $$ each month on the bill. Most people live within range of OTA stations. I get excellent reception with my indoor non-amplified antenna. The picture\sound is better than what dish sends me thru satellite. And OTA works just fine during signal loss from satellite.
Also I cant get my 3 month old OTA adapter to work right now. I have reconnected it several times and rebooted my H3 to no avail...sigh.
That Roamio OTA is looking very attractive now that there is no TIVO subscription fee with it. When my Dish contract ends I will probably try "cord cutting" for a few months by just using a Roamio OTA and Roku.

They are offering a free OTA antenna though. I'll give it a try.

I wonder if I can get the antenna, it's being offered to me on channel 233 KTLA ... I think I will be calling tomorrow demanding a $2 credit or a free antenna. Then when I can't get KTLA OTA I'm going to call and complain :)

Seriously though if you aren't in it for the local programming all of the CW programming can be found in HD on Hulu $7.99/month and most if not all of WGN Americas original programming is on Netflix (even though it's a season behind)

Reactions: pattykay
As you point out, with PSIP, you're lucky to get 1 day's worth of guide data. With a DVR, that's real lame. In fact, for 99% of the time, it's almost useless.

As an option, Dish could add a checkbox, off by default, for "Use OTA guide data for local channels". Why would Dish want to program that, test it, support it, etc for primarily only used during outages ?

By the way, they use/read the PSIP data when the customer uses the OTA option. Part of PSIP is a value/field called TSID. That is a unique value that tells Dish what channel it is. Dish uses that to a) match the -01 channel (OTA) with the satellite-provided channel and b) to supply, in some cases, sub-channel guide data.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
I agree 1 day of data is not an ideal situation, but it's better than 0 days. It can also be used other than outages. How many times do we see posts complaining about no guide data for subchannels that Dish doesn't carry? Guess what, THAT'S AVAILABLE TOO! There is no way Dish is using PSIP guide data for subchannels. If they were, there is absolutely ZERO reason not to have it for main channel. You can't claim Dish doesn't want to use PSIP guide data and then in the next sentence say they use it to supply sub-channel data.

Bottom line... Dish doesn't "care about the customers". They want to make things as difficult as they can in these disputes to get subscribers on their side.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)