Tribune Broadcasting Company Blacks Out DISH Customers in 33 Markets;

The present DVR fee is $10 for VIP receivers. But good catch, I pay $7. So savings would be $22 for someone else. I'm not up to date for Hopper fees but I think the total would be $22 fees for a Hopper and one Joey VS $17 for the two VIP receivers. So yes it appears $5 more a month to get you into a Ford, er Chevy, er Hopper. That would appear to be $17 less than Directv.

The present DVR fee is $10 for VIP receivers. But good catch, I pay $7. So savings would be $22 for someone else. I'm not up to date for Hopper fees but I think the total would be $22 fees for a Hopper and one Joey VS $17 for the two VIP receivers. So yes it appears $5 more a month to get you into a Ford, er Chevy, er Hopper. That would appear to be $17 less than Directv.
There you go again. Using logic and facts.

Reactions: Tampa8
sigh....so again.....not apples to apples......do you ever stop?
<rest of whining removed>
Ok, genius, instead of just whining, show us where the mismatches are.

Certainly not in the package levels. I compared them after removing all the shopping, religious, public interest and audio only channels. I even added NFL Network to the list since Dish is in dispute at the moment.

Channels DTV has in Ultimate that Dish currently does not in AT250:

ASPiRE HD
AUDIENCE®
BBC World News HD
CNBC World
Discovery Life
MAVTV
NFL Network
Newsmax
Ovation TV
REVOLT HD
Sprout
TV One
World Harvest Television

Channels Dish has in AT250 that DTV does not in Ultimate:

beIN Sport (BEIN) HD
TheBlaze (BLAZE)
EPIX Drive-In (EPXDR)
FOX Movie Channel (FXM) HD
Hallmark Movies and Mysteries (HMM) HD
Longhorn Network (LHN) HD
MoviePlex (MPLEX)
MTV Live (MTVL) HD
Outdoor Channel (OTDCH) HD
Ride TV (RIDE)
Smithsonian Channel (SMITH) HD
The Movie Channel Xtra - West (TMCXW)
TV Games Network 2 (TVG2)

It's a wash, as far as packages go. So what else?

Oh I give up you phenomenal Mafia boss.....Your the best and I could never fill you boots......
So you have nothing and deflect with insane irrelevant rants. I thought we could have an intelligent discussion about this. You weren't even the one who asked for the comparison, so why are you even butting in?

Ok guys let's get back to topic, I have gave AZ. time to think about things.

Reactions: Rey
What is your beef with DTV?

Their VOD practically NEVER works is my #1 beef (that and their equipment is pretty sad compared to Dish which definitely pushes the envelope in tech). The aggravation over this was compounded by the fact that my satellite dish is apparently slightly out of alignment so several of my shows did not record fully (truck will be out on Monday to fix that). If I could have downloaded the missing episodes, I would still be able to watch in the meantime. I had a whole spring lineup of shows to get through and half my recordings are crap because of a couple of transponders / channels.

I'll tell you what though... I would have been pissed at Dish if I had them when they took AMC off the air last year. I have to have my zombies.

Reactions: Troch77
Their VOD practically NEVER works is my #1 beef (that and their equipment is pretty sad compared to Dish which definitely pushes the envelope in tech). The aggravation over this was compounded by the fact that my satellite dish is apparently out of alignment so several of my shows did not record properly (truck will be out on Monday to fix that). If I could have downloaded the missing episodes, I would still be able to watch in the meantime.
Satellite VOD is always going to be worse than, say, cable. I don't use VOD but it is my understanding that Dish's VOD experience is slightly worse than DTV even. Picture quality is generally considered slightly worse with Dish as well, but that can be subjective and can depend on many factors like TV calibration.

Satellite VOD is always going to be worse than, say, cable. I don't use VOD but it is my understanding that Dish's VOD experience is slightly worse than DTV even. Picture quality is generally considered slightly worse with Dish as well, but that can be subjective and can depend on many factors like TV calibration.

The thing is, there is really no good reason for it to be that bad. I mean it is over the internet and has nothing to do with Satellite or Dish / DirecTVs network really. It probably comes down to the middlemen not allocating enough bandwidth (similar to problems people experienced with YouTube in the past).

Reactions: Troch77
I've found that in almost every instance, the Dish VOD has been very positive and has the TV episodes I want, and in HD, even better PQ than the liniar channel on Dish. I've no complaints about reliability nor in current TV series for my needs. I have robust 60Mbps down and I really love how it is a DOWNLOAD, not a stream to view, so I can watch when I am ready as it stores it on the HDD with all trick play.

However, although there are tens of thousands--or more--titles of movies and whatnot, I have found that the VOD content on cable to be far richer for "relavent" TV episodes, or it seems to be available on the server longer. Sometimes with Dish current episodes may dissapper from the available list (server) in just a month or so.

Actually Dish on demand is quite good compared to Directv.
Maybe not on the 722s, but the Hoppers 1 and 2s work quite well.
Don't know about H3.

I've always had the loading issues with Directv, often at times taking 3 times the movie length in time to download .
Playback issues were hit or miss.
I've always considered Directv On demand, (ON Demand in an Hour or 2)

I hope it's much better than it was in 2014.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

The thing is, there is really no good reason for it to be that bad. I mean it is over the internet and has nothing to do with Satellite or Dish / DirecTVs network really. It probably comes down to the middlemen not allocating enough bandwidth (similar to problems people experienced with YouTube in the past).
I could never figure it out either.
I've used the CCK and even used the unsupported Directv Ethernet into the Genie. And same old story.
Slow or NO.
Not to mention while it's downloading the Genie was slow to respond to any commands while downloading.

As much as everyone thinks I hate Dish, I don't.
I hate the way certain things are handled.
Cost wise is a Wash for me and my setups.
But I hate those HRs. And I hate the cost of a custom equipment setup.

Dish has way more Flexibility when it comes to equipment. And the Hopper is just a better consumer friendly machine rather than that industrial looking HR.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Dish VOD... can I access it without Internet connection? If so where cause all I can find is movies by Netflix. Thanks.

What I've learned from the last few pages of this thread. Directv sucks...no wait Dish sucks...no wait Directv sucks...no wait Dish sucks...well one of them definitely sucks, and Tribune is still off Dish (mainly because of one channel littered with reruns).

Just a suggestion, someone should open a "post my bill" thread in the War Zone.

But back to the original thread: Can anyone ascertain (now that the FCC is involved) that ANY progress has been made?

That at least to me seems a little murky. It was reported the FCC wanted information from both. Tribune said DISH is not negotiating in good faith, but that only applies to locals because of must carry, there is no such thing as good faith negotiating for cable channels. It would make sense to me the FCC said if you are insisting on bundling cable with locals we can't enforce good faith. The FCC apparently in the latest I saw has said they are not taking any action beyond what the regulations call for. That to me is them saying they can't help Tribune if they are insisting on bundling.

If this was a dispute about locals it would have likely been resolved before now as most are very quickly, and the FCC might take a stronger role. The complication is certainly that Tribune is packaging WGN America with locals. That presents three problems;
1. DISH and probably other providers don't want to start getting cable channels linked to renewing locals.
2. Complicating it, WGN American is nothing like the channel it once was, has very little programming that isn't already on many other channels.
3. Since I can't imagine Tribune is offering WGN for less than before, it's a safe bet they want more and DISH may be saying hey, we don't even want to carry it.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
If this was a dispute about locals it would have likely been resolved before now as most are very quickly, and the FCC might take a stronger role. The complication is certainly that Tribune is packaging WGN America with locals. That presents three problems;
1. DISH and probably other providers don't want to start getting cable channels linked to renewing locals.
2. Complicating it, WGN American is nothing like the channel it once was, has very little programming that isn't already on many other channels.
3. Since I can't imagine Tribune is offering WGN for less than before, it's a safe bet they want more and DISH may be saying hey, we don't even want to carry it.
4. Someone posted that WGN America will be carrying more live sports starting in Sept. (but I can't find anything online about it). If this is true, Dish probably is saying the current content on WGNA is not worth the price, while Tribune is asking for a price they believe will reflect the channel content IF the added sports is included.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)