Tribune Broadcasting Company Blacks Out DISH Customers in 33 Markets;

Ironically, with Strike Zone and my friends with Extra Innings, I'm not missing much of Cubs games at all. In fact, a portion of Chicago based subs aren't musing any WGN programming with OTA. It's a sad day when you can get the games on your RSN, but not on the "free" OTA outlet

A majority of the Sports on WGN TV9 in Chicago have been farmed out by WGN TV9 to WCIU 26 & WPWR 50 due to the WGN CW Network commitment which ends on September 1, 2016.

WPWR 50 will be the CW Network Affiliate on September 1, 2016.

WLS 7 (abc) in Chicago broadcasts about 25 games per year.

Tribune Broadcasting is wasting their time and WGN America has not been worth a penny since they discontinued carrying away games for Cubs, Sox, Bulls & Blackhawks.

In the end both sides are to blame and nobody wins.

I've been through many work stoppages and there are no winners ever.

I know that I've threatened to leave, but in the end it's not worth the disruption of an install, etc.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
Is there somewhere official this has been mentioned and I've missed it, or just speculation online?

Dish has talked about WGN not worth what is now being asked and not popular enough. They did say it is being bundled with all the locals and that it shouldn't be. Certainly seems that is holding up all the locals. I don't remember if double the cost was mentioned.

Dish on Sinclair’s antenna giveaway: ‘It’s smart’ and Tribune should do the same thing
A year after engaging Sinclair Broadcast Group in a contentious retransmission licensing renewal negotiation that led to the biggest ever retrans blackout, Dish Network has endorsed the broadcaster’s plan to hand out free over-the-air antennas.
“It’s smart. The country’s 90 million pay-TV customers, all of whom pay retransmission fees for local broadcast stations, are frustrated by rising costs and channel blackouts,” said Warren Schlichting, Dish executive VP of marketing, programming and media sales, in a statement. “Complementing the pay-TV experience, which includes the increasing adoption of streaming services like Sling TV, Sony Vue, Hulu and Netflix, is good business and may drive a solution to the otherwise compounding problem of ever-rising retransmission consent fees for local TV.”

http://www.fiercecable.com/cable/di...nds&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Tribune Disputes Dish Description of Talks
Tribune, whose stations have been blacked out in 33 markets by a retransmission dispute with Dish Network, blasted Dish’s description of their talks.
In a press release about supporting the National Association of Broadcasters’ antenna giveaway program, Warren Schlichting, Dish executive VP of marketing, programming and media sales, said Tribune was back at the bargaining table.
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/ne...912?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

TV stations try and tell people that using antennas are an option but you can be sure, they really don't want everyone to go that route. It would effectively cut their revenue in half if they lost the carriage fees that they receive from local cablecos, Dish, and Directv.
While I agree locals would probably prefer to get the retrans money, I'm not sure how much the retrans money brings in vs. ad money. You may be right, it may be around half, but I'm not convinced.

The free antenna is only part of the solution... First it only helps those "in range"... Second, it does nothing to solve time shifting ability... Don't just give me an antenna, give me a free OTA Tivo with a paid subscription. The reason I mention Tivo, is that currently Dish's OTA USB adapter is not available (backorder), if it were, it has anomalies that cause the recordings to have issues. Even if you addressed those two issues, it only has one tuner, so when more than one local goes dark, your 16 tuner "no conflicts" hopper solution is mute with respect to locals.

I also believe DISH is getting very desperate too..........I called today to cancel as DTV is scheduled to be installed tomorrow and DISH cut my bill down by a 1/4 per month.
You managed to save a quarter per month on your Dish bill? Great job! :thumbup

I'll agree to disagree. When a company loses a record number of Subs (281K Total btwn Dish/SlingTV in 2nd Quarter) then it's called being desperate to retain additional subs at any reasonable cost.

When I left after 7 plus years in 2012 in good standing as they called it, they offered me only 5 movie coupons and there were no big carriage disputes then on DISH. This was also via Loyalty Department. I said thanks, but no thanks.
That must have been very early in 2012. I think we all remember the whole AMC ordeal.

While I agree locals would probably prefer to get the retrans money, I'm not sure how much the retrans money brings in vs. ad money. You may be right, it may be around half, but I'm not convinced.

Media research company SNL Kagan says total TV retrans dollars will rise to $3.61 billion in 2017 from a $1.14 billion total in 2010.

Research and ad-buying firm Magna Global predicts TV ad revenue for 2016 will grow 0.5% to $63 billion

While those numbers are overall numbers I would suspect that local dollars have close to the same ratio.

Media research company SNL Kagan says total TV retrans dollars will rise to $3.61 billion in 2017 from a $1.14 billion total in 2010.

Research and ad-buying firm Magna Global predicts TV ad revenue for 2016 will grow 0.5% to $63 billion

While those numbers are overall numbers I would suspect that local dollars have close to the same ratio.

Affiliates send at least half of that back to the Network in reverse compensation. The only ones keeping it all are the Network Owned and Operated stations and any independent non network stations.

Affiliates send at least half of that back to the Network in reverse compensation. The only ones keeping it all are the Network Owned and Operated stations and any independent non network stations.

Retransmission-consent fees could nearly double in the next five years to $11.6 billion, as broadcasters are pressured to give back larger and larger pieces of their distribution haul to their affiliated networks, according to SNL Kagan.

Those total numbers are a little wacky from the previous article but we can see that they are rising quickly, much faster than inflation.

Using those numbers, retrans would be ~5% of income. Slightly less :rollingeyes than than the "half" claimed earlier.

Dish has talked about WGN not worth what is now being asked and not popular enough. They did say it is being bundled with all the locals and that it shouldn't be. Certainly seems that is holding up all the locals. I don't remember if double the cost was mentioned.

Remember there are two WGN's, WGN TV9 Chicago (OTA) and WGN America (Cable/Satellite).

You managed to save a quarter per month on your Dish bill? Great job! :thumbup

That must have been very early in 2012. I think we all remember the whole AMC ordeal.

No actually, I received a refund/credit on MLB Extra Innings 1/2 Season Package ($60) off $120 Price and $35 off per month on monthly bill for year and Multi-Sport free for a year. I save more than a quarter.

Reactions: pattykay
Is there somewhere official this has been mentioned and I've missed it, or just speculation online?

May be both rumor and/or speculation but, here’s the site:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribune_Media

Retransmission Litigation History
The retransmission agreement between Tribune Media and DISH Network came to an inelegant halt for millions of DISH viewing customers in a wide geographic array of markets on June 12, 2016 when DISH Network on the behalf of its customers chose not to accept Tribune Media's inappropriately large increase (2.4 times the expired contract rate) to the retransmitting consent contract fee. June 20, 2016 Dish Network filed a lawsuit against Tribune Broadcasting and accused the retransmission company (Tribune Media Company) of deliberately spreading false statements about the DISH Network in their retransmission consent fee value disagreement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts